What's new

Original Skunk#1 at 7 weeks

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I've never actually grown Skunk before in all these years, and I was determined to find out what the differences are, if any, between the 'regular' skunk, and the 'original' - so I bought a pack of Seedsman Skunk#1 - the original Sacred Seeds version, to try out. It's also the first time I've grown an IBL, so I was interested to see just how stable 'IBL' actually means.

Out of ten seeds, I pulled two for being extremely lanky early on, and then got three females out of the remaining seven. They are currently on 7 weeks - the catalog says 9, but I'd allowed for 10 weeks just to be sure. They're pretty similar physically, apart from minor leaf and bud shapes, but are still quite distinct from each other in bud characteristics, which surprised me to be honest.

Pheno 'A':

The tallest of the three, this one is also the slowest at flowering - most pistils are still white, and resin production is quite low. The aroma is the most suprising - very astringent, and a mix of citrus floor-cleaner and turps - not unpleasant, but not my cup of tea really. Still, it should be fairly sativa-leaning given the flowering speed. The buds are also the longest, and will turn into continuous colas fairly soon.

Pheno 'B':

The smallest pheno, and the smallest buds - however, this one may be the keeper (smoke to confirm, naturally!). This one is flowering much faster than the other two - it showed trichomes at least a week before, and was developing faster. It is pouring resin, compared to the other two, and looks to be finishing off quicker too - maybe ten days to go. It's clearly a more indica pheno, as the buds are more globular and separate - not tending to colas like the other two. I wasn't expecting any of the phenos to finish this quickly, and was expecting to keep feeding for another two weeks, so we'll see how it goes. This one has been pollenated with two different male Flos, so there's two seeded buds in the pics.
The smell of this one is amazing - really, really sweet with a Tutti-Frutti/Bubblegum aroma - again, not what I was expecting from Skunk, but that's why I crossed it with the Flo. If it produces this much resin, tastes and smells delicious, and finishes in 8-9 weeks I think I may have something great to work with in future!

Pheno 'C':

This pheno has the biggest buds and is midway between the other two in terms of resin production and smell - still very fruity, but slightly more hashy/sharp than 'B', and much sweeter than 'A'. This one displays the most sativa-shape leaves, but the buds are fat, and developing quickly - should join up in a few days. If this turns out to be as strong as pheno 'B', I'll cross it down the line - got plenty of pollen left.

So I reckon they have three weeks left - I'd like to leave the early one as long as possible, just to make sure the seeds are fully developed, but overall I'm pleased so far with the progress, given they're not large plants. I'll update again with pics at harvest time.

Last edited:
Great pictures Elevator Man!!!....What's the average height of your plants?? It's hard to tell from the photos....about 3' is my guess?

Don't forget to give us a harvest and smoke report!!!
Cheers!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Sorry - forgot to measure them, although they're not that big - hang on...(trots downstairs with ruler)...

Ok, the tallest is 26" from the soil line, and the smallest 20" - they're in 9" diameter pots.

Guest423

Veteran
i take it there isn't any roadkill skunk to be found in this line either?

still real nice plants though man, i'm working with 2 skunk lines myself at the moment!

E

easyrasta

very nice skunks
ive been eyeing the #1s for a while
where did you get the skunkmans seeds, i no sacred wont send to the us.
peace
Ez

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I actually bought the seeds down the road at the local shop...£10 for 10 - for Sam's genetics too...:)

Seedsman have their own mail-order site though:

http://www.seedsman.com/en

As for the roadkill skunk, I was hoping someone would mention that. I live in England, and the chances of me encountering a skunk in real life are nil. I did see one once in my friend's garden in San Francisco, but that's it. So I have no idea what a real skunk smells like, and consequently have no idea whether these smell 'correct' or not! I do have some badgers at the bottom of my garden, but I'm not going sniffing their glands - they're a bit sensitive about stuff like that...:)
Pheno 'C' I think is the closest, only because there's a 'weird' smell underneath the main fruity one, which I don't recognise, but slightly gives me the creeps, if you get my drift. Maybe that's what musk smells like - hate to get sexual, but it's that kind of a smell, y'know...? :)

Elevator Man..... The old true skunk,....smelled like....actual skunk spray. I haven't seen anything of the sort in well over a decade.... How skunk got "sweet" is beyond me. Bring back the skunk!!!!!...LOL

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well as far as I know, this IS one of the original lines, so I would have thought it's worth exploring - haven't tried 'The Pure' or any of the others, so for all I know, this IS the old-style Skunk. We shall see when it's done, I guess. One other thing that just occured to me is that 'an astringent citrus floor-cleaner and turps' sounds awfully like a certain popular variety...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Can you try and describe what skunk spray smells like? Are there any non-US animals that have a similar one? Even better, could someone bottle me some and mail it over for comparison...? :)

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
Thanks for posting up the skunk#1 pics...Very nice.
Take care and grow safe....................................CC

How do you describe skunk?? It's kinda hard to describe if you've never had a wiff from the animal.... Pungent, unpleasant, eye watering, stinch.....although when smoked, it doesn't taste bad at all... From what I remember...coughing was immediate(lung expansion) and so was the buzz... The stuff I got was from Louisiana and very dark in color with golden hairs. To be honest with you, I haven't seen any in a long time, probably since the mid to late eighties.

There is a plant here in the West(America) that grows out in the wild that smells very similar, and I'm sure they contain the same chemical that produces that exact odor, but I have no idea what it is...LOL

Last edited:
E

easyrasta

Elevator Man said:
I actually bought the seeds down the road at the local shop...£10 for 10 - for Sam's genetics too...:)

Seedsman have their own mail-order site though:

http://www.seedsman.com/en

As for the roadkill skunk, I was hoping someone would mention that. I live in England, and the chances of me encountering a skunk in real life are nil. I did see one once in my friend's garden in San Francisco, but that's it. So I have no idea what a real skunk smells like, and consequently have no idea whether these smell 'correct' or not! I do have some badgers at the bottom of my garden, but I'm not going sniffing their glands - they're a bit sensitive about stuff like that...:)
Pheno 'C' I think is the closest, only because there's a 'weird' smell underneath the main fruity one, which I don't recognise, but slightly gives me the creeps, if you get my drift. Maybe that's what musk smells like - hate to get sexual, but it's that kind of a smell, y'know...? :)

These guys wont send to the U. S. either

Baba Kush

MidLifeCrisis said:
[very fond memories] LOL....I'm STILL looking for that eighties skunk....[/very fond memories]

try the Flying Dutchman's skunk lines... from what i've sampled, there's a heavy skunk dankness in some of his work (swazi safari in particular).

and i think that the BC Hemp Depot has Seedsman product & apparently ships to the US...

G

I grew out the Sam The Skunkman #1 freebies that Gypsy was giving away a few months back and I got three females, two phenos, one was the sweety pheno and I preferred that one. The other two were the stinky pheno and really were strong smelling. The roadkill nasty smell came out after a good cure, when first dried the stinky pheno buds smelled similar to the sweet pheno but with a nasty note lurking in the background. After 2 months in a glass jar the sweetness was gone and they smelled like a combination of rotting meat and horse manure, which I guess is what skunk spray smells like (I'm also in England so no Skunks here). The sweet pheno was slightly bigger yielding and had longer buds, this was my keeper as it was really frosty and had the best yield.

The stinky pheno had slightly darker leaves and more rounded buds, frost was the same as was the effect. This stinky pheno is definitely the Columbian Gold pheno as I had Columbian Gold growing alongside and the smell is definitely similar although the Skunk stank much more, probably from the Afghani influence. The family resemblance between the pure Columbian and the Skunk stinky pheno was obvious, the leaves were the same shade and side by side you could see the Columbian influence in the Skunk. I'm guessing the sweet pheno is the Acapulco dom one, never grown or smoked Acapulco Gold, but I've heard people describe it as being a fairly sweet smoke.

I did think that the stinky pheno was lovely, but I preferred the sweet one, the taste was preferable to my palette, although they didn't differ all that much.

I think the stinkyness of Skunk #1 definitely comes from the Columbian genes, and the Afghan genes have upped the power of the funk it gives off. I say this because Super Skunk or the other Skunk x Afghan hybrids like Mazar usually have a reall Skunky funk to them but it's different, more like a strong Afghani garlic/old cheese smell with an added Skunk note. Maybe the really stinky Skunk people remember and long for is actually from the Skunk x Afghan lines rather then pure Skunk #1?

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Wow - that's great info - cheers. I know the rotting meat smell - my G13 has a hint of that, but it's not present with these. Mine go from sweet to sour/sharp, but there's nothing gross. We'll see after a good cure I guess.

I have to say the sweetest one is absolutely gorgeous-smelling though - I do a lot of fishing, and have plenty of bait additives/flavourings, and it is really similar to the tutti-frutti and peach flavours I have for carp baits. They're a great reference for weed! Also TDK CD-labelling pens have a very similar note...:)

G

What did you guys on the other side of the pond do to all of your skunks? :bat:

EM, Hopefully your Pheno B will test out as good as your description. The result of the Flo cross will be interesting to see for sure.

Peace

I encountered some bagseed that ended up smelling of rancid wet flesh.

i called it carcass and really hoped the smoke was special but allas it was thin and rather unsettlingly bland.

Fucked up smell though..

Best

OL

Latest posts

Latest posts