What's new

DIY carbon filters

G

I was just wondering if anyone had made one using the carbon filters for air, instead of the ones using panty hose and carbon for fish tanks?

I got a 6'' end cap, a 6'' to 4'' reducer coupling, and some hardware cloth laying around. I was thinking those "web" filters would be a lot easier, but not sure how well they'll scrub. Was thinking maybe a double layer of it along the inside of the 6'' screen (out one) and a double layer over the outside of inner screen (the 4'' one). There will be an air gap between the 6'' layer and the 4'' layer though.

web filter like I was talking about:

www.webproducts.com/products/furnace_ac/absorber.jsp

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
There's not enough carbon in them to do a very good job unless you're pulling uber low CFM across them...but that kinda defeats the point huh?

What size is your setup and what cfm is your fan?

G

-It would be 2'x3'x5'
-Stanley fan (says 1200+, but a few people here say it's about the power of a dayton 265fcm, so I dont know)

Last edited:
G

After holding it up to the light, I dont think it will work afterall. You can see tiny specs of carbon here and there inside some black fabric mesh.

Well fuck.

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
lol...don't sweat it. They'll still be good for prefilters or for your home. You can build your own quality scrubber with the materials you have plus some quality carbon. This is a 6"x8"x32" that I built from similar supplies that works great with 6" inlines...

G

Yeah, I know, but that's gonna cost a lot more, haha. I was just trying to be cheap. A 12'' scrubber (6'' out. diam.,4'' inner) will probably cost $50 to fill up using that carbon from petco,etc.

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
I did a 4"x8"x24" and it took around 18lbs to fill...your 4"x6"x12" should only take about 4-5lbs to fill with 180 cu/in of carbon (~45cu/in per lb of carbon). The more carbon you can cram in there the better. I usually shake and slap mine around while filling it so that it compacts as much as possible...therefore making the chances of a gap with no carbon much less likely.

G

Okay, so more like $30. But hey, $45 in all ain't bad. Better than paying $125 for the same thing at a store.

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
There's a dude on Ebay selling 7lbs of activated carbon for $19 delivered...if Ebay is an option for ya. Should be able to get 3 28oz packages from Petco for around $21 though...so it's not that much more for a local pickup.

G

Are charcoal filters refillable

Are charcoal filters refillable

Are the commercial charcoal filters easily refillable? I imagine they don't want you to refill them, but has anyone bothered trying to actually refill one?

I wouldn't mind investing in a commercially made filter the first time around, and refill that exact container with some 25lb tubs of activated carbon from eBay.

Last edited:

goalie

anyone tried filling ducting with carbon and just put some mesh wire on both ends to hold it in? I'm thinking of trying it with some 6" ducting and seeing how it works.

wickedpete66

what did it cost you guys to build your own scrubber, plus how long did it take to build. I asked because I purchased a can33 from mdhydro for a 100.00. I initially priced out components from hdepot and with the activated carbon. it came to about 70.00 bucks and I still had to build it

G

Yeah, well went to petsmart today. $11 for 14oz was the cheapest they had. So that's gonna be $44-$55 plus tax, minimum.

Could I get away with just making the filter shorter? Maybe 6''? Or would that be too short to work properly for some reason?

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
Deft - No idea on the quality of the Petco carbon...it's probably not the absolute best, but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

PotentRodent - Yes they are fairly easy to refill...those 25lb containers of carbon are very good quality BTW

wickedpete66 - $70 sounds about right for something that'll handle a 6" inline...there's alot more carbon in those than the 4" version that is being worked on here.

graythumb - I wouldn't make it any shorter...or you won't have enough contact time with the carbon to remove odors. That price is crazy...their website lists the 28oz packs for $6.95. HD has some for around $5 a lb if the Ebay stuff isn't an option.

Slezman

Yo guys, I actually just built a DIY scrubber for my cab. I used DurbanPoison's instructiong (http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=509470#post509470) and built the 6" x 12" (diamater x length) version for my 265 dayton.

It was actually a pain to build as I didn't have tin snips. All the materials I bought cost >$60 but then again I always buy to much stuff cus I'm lazy and don't want to have to go back to the store.

All the parts were bought at HD except for the activated carbon which I got at MonsterPets.

I haven't hooked it up yet as my plants aren't smelling at all and I need the increased airflow bc it's hot out. Anyone who has built one of these (or hasn't) know how much it wil reduce air flow. I heard it knocked it down about 10%. I'll report back when I hook it up.

G

MTF-Sandman said:
Yeah...I saw it in the outdoor part of the gardening section.
Activated carbon in the garden dept at home depot?? Haha, you must live in California or something.

Latest posts

Latest posts