What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

foaf

Veteran
How does one keep hash oil... in liquid form?
If you have made good oil, and purged it, it gets hard at room temperature. At about 80-85f it is softer and easier to get out of your container without sending a hard piece across the room, so warming it is the only way to get well made bho to be gooey again. You can whip air into it and it will be a bit softer, use a dremmel tool with a small bit on the end and whip it up. you can also put some solvent in it if you want it to stay liquid, ethanol, a few drops or so, mix it in, and then seal it or it will purge and harden again.

whiskeytango420

There is only one king, god picks em, hand pluckes
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another testament to this fine thread!
picture.php

good vibes

I just called up the nearest 'complete tobaccanist', only 60 miles away, and found out Colibri has gone out of business. :( Is there any clear leader in butane or should I just pick from the remaining brands listed in the first post? I'm going to be trying the turkey baster method and I don't know if any particular model can is more suitable or if there's any difference between them. N-butane sounds nice, but unobtainable...

Spicoli

Client of Wu-Tang Financial. You need to diversify
Veteran
Hey mtnmama if you cant get colibri just use one of the other ones...there isnt a crazy diff between one of the other brands and colibri....ive used colibri, vector, king butanes and i couldn't tell a diff really...just make sure it is at least 3x-5x refined and stay the hell away from ronson and the others mentioened....goood luck hope all goes well

p.s. if you use the turkeey baster just make sure it the stainless steel or glass one...i use the stainless one and it works great....Peace

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I just called up the nearest 'complete tobaccanist', only 60 miles away, and found out Colibri has gone out of business. :( Is there any clear leader in butane or should I just pick from the remaining brands listed in the first post? I'm going to be trying the turkey baster method and I don't know if any particular model can is more suitable or if there's any difference between them. N-butane sounds nice, but unobtainable...

they are back in business.

So I was told at the headshop I went to instead. Maybe the tobacco shop manager just didn't want me making BHO? Too bad! We found Vector and it worked perfectly well with the turkey baster set up. I used a half can (3 oz) on I'm guessing 7 or 8 grams of Super Silver Haze, whatever filled the tube up with good compaction, I didn't weigh it.

I never saw any discoloration during the run, which lasted 20 or 25 seconds, and when it rapidly boiled off, I was left with a small mass of silvery, mother-of-pearl lustre which initially I thought was just pure contaminant as the initial congealings were a completely transparent jelly, not what I was expecting, but maybe it's the strain...

The stuff is awesome, nothing but the flavor of the pure bud. It's a bit of a pain to use in the volcano though...we need a soak pad.

I'm assuming it's perfectly safe to smoke the processed bud to test for remaining potency? I'd grind it up and do a second run on it, if it's worth it.

Wfw1

So I was told at the headshop I went to instead. Maybe the tobacco shop manager just didn't want me making BHO? Too bad! We found Vector and it worked perfectly well with the turkey baster set up. I used a half can (3 oz) on I'm guessing 7 or 8 grams of Super Silver Haze, whatever filled the tube up with good compaction, I didn't weigh it.

I never saw any discoloration during the run, which lasted 20 or 25 seconds, and when it rapidly boiled off, I was left with a small mass of silvery, mother-of-pearl lustre which initially I thought was just pure contaminant as the initial congealings were a completely transparent jelly, not what I was expecting, but maybe it's the strain...

The stuff is awesome, nothing but the flavor of the pure bud. It's a bit of a pain to use in the volcano though...we need a soak pad.

I'm assuming it's perfectly safe to smoke the processed bud to test for remaining potency? I'd grind it up and do a second run on it, if it's worth it.

Quality can be a little lower but there is often some left good for putting on joint papers or whatever.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

second run ok, but won't yield shit and smoke it? - never!

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
...but why not? The butane evaporates completely, no?

I wouldn't bet on that, you'd be putting a bunch of plant material in your lungs, I think the amount of THC is so little it would do more harm than good...it's always been the consensus here, and I've always thrown mine away..

Maybe someone has some more scientific reasons why you're not supposed to smoke it, unless I was mistaken, I'm sure it's better in the compost pile..

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
And you're forgetting the potential to make budder from it......
The butane evaporates from the mostly spent material.....and then you're throwing it in boiling water to simmer for hours.....
That's gotta put the kibosh on whatever could ail ya. Dunno what the level of available potency would be on that material....but if you had enough it could be worth it.
I've been saving every single scrap of material that could be saved. I'll update the thread when I eventually make some budder.

FYI: Interesting and funny story......I took some of those "uncrushed" buds that came out in relatively good shape after making one run of BHO......I let the butane evaporate off...
I brought 3 nugs to a friend's house who had initially gotten me these particular nugs.......I asked him "Which one of these buds was run for oil?". He looked at them up and down.....immediately he grabbed one nugget that he was sure had been run.....examined and sniffed them all...
He said "This one's it...". I looked at him with a smirk....and said "They've all been run
through butane you clown! See....you can't tell what the hell is up...they look completely untouched bro!".
He started laughing and flat out said "I guarantee I can get rid of that anytime....no questions asked....it looks like nothing was ever done to it".

I could tell his wheels were spinning....dunno if he actually intends on re-distributing it....but it's amazing that you can pretty much leave buds intact and extract all the gooey goodness right outta them like some sorta BHO vampire!

Got a question for the experts...

So i made a batch of honey the other day using King butane and some NL bottom buds and it turned out this amber/green/ almost brown color and was really oily didn`t get hard like it usually does, but whats different was the King butane which i have used before reacted differently this time, the butane had alot of water in it and was freezing in my glass dish and when i was cooking the butane off it got all watery again, it wierd i never seen that before, i`ve used vector before and i always get hard amber honey with that.. has anybody have this happen with King before?? i`ve done this dozens of times never had a shitty batch like this.. is there any way i can make this honey oil better like running it though again with different butane???

the butane itself didn`t have water in it i don`t think but yeah i don`t know what happened either... maybe humidity in the air and the butane froze it??? its got a wierd color to it too.. i`m gonna try heating it and making it into butter. do you think it could be the northern lights strain that makes it oily and brownish colored?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
prolly not the strain, unless its older cured dope. its usually darker maybe less hard. if you want to avoid trapping moisture when running butane, use a warm plate of water under your extraction dish the whole time and no water will condense into the mix.

ok. yeah i gonna give that a try next time, humidity is so high around here the last few days. oh and i tried heating and whipping it into budder but didn`t work on this one, its strange cuz the ISS strain i got will always get hard and turn to budder real easy, i think i`ll get some more vector and do some experimenting....thanx k+

I

itsus

i go over to my friend's house a few months back to check on some honey they were making. he's over 60, and needless to say it wasn't his first rodeo. when i walk in the front door i said high to the mrs. and chit chatted a little, then it sounded like a 1/4 stick of dynamite went off in the garage! i run down the stairs expecting to see some burnt fuckers laying on the floor. turns out the cap on his tube was cross threaded and blew the grinded herb and cap all over the garage, i mean shit was in the air for about an hour! it had to scare the fuck out him, i was inside and it freaked me out. he then went on to finish the batch, bud flakes covering his entire body. he said when he took a shower the water was green.

Latest posts

Latest posts