What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LOWRYDER 100 watt CFL's

sugabear_II

Veteran
nice grow - I'm getting interested in the low ryders again. who's the best source? the doc?

anyways I did want to chime in with some real numbers on cfl / floro / hid for comparison;

a cfl will produce around 65-70 lumens/watt
a t12 floro tube will produce around the same or less
a t8 floro tube w/electric ballast may come close to 100 lumens/watt
a t5 high output floro tube w/electronic ballast should be around 100 lumens/watt
a small wattage HPS (150 for example) will produce around 110+ lumens/watt
a large wattage HPS (400 or 600) may produce 140 lumens/watt
a large wattage MH will produce around 100 lumens/watt

Now there's all sorts of other factors about bulb burnout and what not but this is a good general comparison.

I'd really love to see a lowryder grow with floro tubes. Imagine 4 low ryders huddled around a cluster of (4 or 6) 20 watt 24" t8 floro tubes - I bet that could be a sweet grow!

Grow on and I will be watching!!

tacobell530

twizited- Wow I've never seen a lowryder streched that much! Do you know what might have caused this?

Maj.pothead- great ideas, im considering the foil/ballast technique, never heard of anything like it. My enviro-light has mylar above it. I'm thinking of adding a couple smaller lights so I can try this. btw how well do the pie pan reflectors work?

Sugabear- I my lowryders from Gyphsy, came pretty fast too. Still expensive everywhere.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
btw how well do the pie pan reflectors work?
very nice they reflect the lighting downward :) i cut a hole in each end for my fixtures,but they will hold heat unless a small fan blows across the ballast/bulb erea

G

GeT TwiZtiD

tacobell530 said:
twizited- Wow I've never seen a lowryder streched that much! Do you know what might have caused this?

Maj.pothead- great ideas, im considering the foil/ballast technique, never heard of anything like it. My enviro-light has mylar above it. I'm thinking of adding a couple smaller lights so I can try this. btw how well do the pie pan reflectors work?

Sugabear- I my lowryders from Gyphsy, came pretty fast too. Still expensive everywhere.

tacobell, I think its because of the CFL's that cause it to stretch so much, I have them set up very different from my last grow, so im just guessing thats why but other than that im not sure why this one is so stretchy

G

GeT TwiZtiD

more pics

more pics

today is day 40 im looking for some organic tea recipes to feed her, also she's started to gain a very very heavy smell. She smells so good it's like a skunky candy/fruity type smell its very very hard to describe but it sure smells great! Compared to my others Lowryders she is looking pretty FAT for day 40, she's still got quite some time to go, but she's already lookin really good!

cid420

for micro grow i like CFL also , they care free really like u can pass out and wake up the next day not on fire, for full scale yeah hps all the way

cid420

the problem is how CFL produce light its difused befor it ever leaves the bulb which suxxs . im still gonna grow with them though until they make a hps that i can unscrew by hand after its been on 24/7 for a month )

duggy

GetTwizzy--you said HPS kicks CFL butt all over town by the power of 10--but ain't it the same watt for watt? You've got 100W CFL grow going, which should be putting out buds between a 70 and 150W HPS grow. --dude, yr buds are really little.

how's air flow? temps? pH? at 100Watts you should be pullin better budly. . .

duggy :smoker:

Maj... thats a damn fine CFL setup u have got there... i to use CFLs for my vegetative closet... though for the life of me i cannot find any 6400k CFLS... i can only seem to get the warm white ones (2700k)...

to start with i was just using 240w of CFLs for my vegcab... but i decided to add a 125w envirolite into the mix as well...

i used to use my HPS lights from start to finish... but im pretty sure that my plants get a much better veg under just the CFLs though.... i swear by them for vegetative cycle...

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
http://1000bulbs.com/category.php?category=2086

Great selection of CFLs there, from 2w to 200w, and lots of 6500k and 6400k bulbs. Good luck! I was going to do my whole first grow with CFLs, but I think now I'm going to do veg with CFLs and do flowering with a 150w HPS, and maybe add another 150 later on.

I think I'll be buying six of the 26w 6400k lights for my veg setup.

Last edited:

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
thx blunt yes i like the cfl vegn also

just look for daylight or sunlight 15-25w cfl's they burn 5500k nice blue

each of my cfl fixtures consist of a screw in Y mogul adaptor holds 2 bulbs
1ea 25w=100w @1470 lumens daylight 5500k
1ea 45w=150w @2900 lumens warm 2700 or 3000k cant remember
seems to give a sweet mixed spectrum

whiskeyriot

Lighting for lowryders

Lighting for lowryders

hi guys, first time grower trying to gather some info on lowryders, im trying to find out if you can get away with just using a red spectrum for flowering... lowryder being an autoflowering plant and all... :chin: