What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pop's diy humidifier/fogger

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
I see this come up quite often so i thought this might be of benefit to those who need a humidity boost.
:tiphat:
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Farmari,
the 120v one draws a little less than 2 amps, the 220v one draws half that amperage. whatever watts that works out to be, lol.
not sure what you're asking regarding "gph."

farmari

Farmari,
the 120v one draws a little less than 2 amps, the 220v one draws half that amperage. whatever watts that works out to be, lol.
not sure what you're asking regarding "gph."

Thanks for the reply Mojave, sorry what I meant to ask by GPH is about how much water that thing evaporates per hour (gallons per hour or ml per hour) or per day.

After seeing what you and others have posted I decided to buy a fogger today :)

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
got it. i really have no idea what they're capable of in evaporation rates, but i do know it puts out alot of nice dry humidity. in my room, (7 x 20), right after a dry winter cold air dump, my humidity drops down to about 30%. it only takes about 15 minutes for my 6 disc fogger to bring the humidity back to 60%. i love squirting my clones and vegging plant with the fog too. they seem to like it as well! it humidifies them without any droplets. pretty awesome really..
:biggrin:

watts

ohms
Veteran
Very nice. I have been wanting to do exactly this. I was researching these units and I was told you have to let them rest for 1-2 hours after every 8 hours of operation. Just thought I'd put that out there for people to know. It's also important to use RO water or very low ppm water. If you soak the discs in distilled white vinegar, to clean them regularly, they will last longer. They are rated for 3000-5000 hours when taken care of. It's best to get the units without LED lights and brass discs. You want the 20mm ceramic teflon coated discs. A 5-6 disc unit will put out half a gallon of water an hour. That is the equivalent of the mini hydrofogger that cost $300. The $500 hydrofogger is equivalent to a 10 or 12 disc ultrasonic fogger.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Very nice. I have been wanting to do exactly this. I was researching these units and I was told you have to let them rest for 1-2 hours after every 8 hours of operation. Just thought I'd put that out there for people to know.
Yes, that is recommended by the manufacturer. Running off of a humidity controller, it doesn't run that often.
It's also important to use RO water or very low ppm water. If you soak the discs in distilled white vinegar, to clean them regularly, they will last longer. They are rated for 3000-5000 hours when taken care of.
Yes, ro water will decrease disc maintenance fer sure. That's what I run into my fogger rez. I'm gonna try my 220v 5 disc one in the rez of my dwc bubbler. Foggponics i think is the word for it. Increased 'dry' humidity in the root zone, increased nutrient availability due to the atomization of the nutrients, and excellent aeration. I know it increase ph in ro water a bit, apparently due to it ionizing the water in some manner. I read that somewhere and can't find it again. Not sure how my ladies will react to ionized fog on their undercarriage, but we'll soon see. :laughing:I expect the discs to require regular maintenance in a nutrient rich solution, but i have a spare set to change out while i clean the old ones.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Is that a 6 inch duct in your DIY fogger? Would a 4 inch work just as good? Are you in a sealed environment? Is the fogger in the grow room or the outside of it? Was wondering where that duct was leading to exactly.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
oh yeah, i guess one might wonder bout that, lol. its a 6". i have it aimed at my plants in veg. i made another lid with a 4" and smaller pc fan. both work well. non sealed. its in my veg room.

W

WeetisPotPie

Glad this thread got a little bump. Going to sub it so next winter I can set it up. Got the same winter problem as you mojave. Thanks.