What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The 'inventor' lawsuits for ice hash kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aroma

Read an article in CCnews 23
http://www.ccnewz.com (a free uk growing paper) about some prick called Joseph R Pietri "the inventor" who has patented some ice extraction device and to quote a little of the article :

"The inventor is currently seeking to enforce his original us patents on the ice water extraction process mentioned above. Lawsuits are likely to follow, in Europe as well as US and canada, involving several well known names"

I for one will not be ordering any of this sad individuals products. But include his website for your infomation. I highly suspect his threats are BS. what a complete and utter asshole.

http://www.icecold.org/company.htm

:moon:

Last edited:
G

If he legitimately patented the technique before others, why would he be the asshole? He has the right to do what he's doing (assuming his claims are true). Nothin wrong with that...

Awol/CoA

If this Joseph R Pietri guy is telling the truth and does have the patents
and other companies products are made/work the same way,
he has a pretty strong case and probably will win & rightly so.

It'll be interesting to see the out-come of the lawsuits because courts
in most countries don't like awarding compensation for stuff like this and
if he does win, I doubt he'll recieve much.

Awol.

Last edited:

Aroma

thanks for your replys.

Isnt it just a fact of nature that cannabis resin glands get brittle when cold , and this can be exploited in a number of ways to seperate the glands, there are a number of well made products like bublemans bags and iceolator bags. Or you can just mix everything up in a bucket with water and ice then put it through a couple of silk screens or whatever. I 100% do not believe that this guy invented the process, he may have made a great product or whatever, but he is claiming to have patented 'the process' and wants to hurt others in the biz in a boastful way "....involving several well known names...." Its all threats and hype and bollocks . Were still at the early stages of litigation hysteria in europe although there have been a steady trickle of opportunists making a fast buck out of whatever they can . Thats the way the world is going. But arn't stoners different ? I would hope that we have higher ethical standards than the greedy corporate model . but obviously not all...peace

Last edited:
G

The fact that resin glands are heavier than water, or whatever, isn't what's being patented...It's the doo-hicky that sifts it all that is being patented (as far as I know)

Aroma

no he is saying he patented the process not the doo-hicky for all I know his doo-hicky might be the best and i agree. patent that np but not the friken process itself

Awol/CoA

Aroma said:
I 100% do not believe that this guy invented the process, he may have made a great product or whatever, but he is claiming to have patented 'the process' and wants to hurt others in the biz in a boastful way "....involving several well known names...." Its all threats and hype and bollocks .
I doubt he invented the process aswell. But if he does have the patent(s)
then there's little anybody can do about it and the courts must abide by
the patent(s) legality, otherwise people will fight against patents all the time
and that's bad news for the business and manufacturing industries.

I get where you're coming from, I don't like this shit aswell, but...

Awol.

G

you can get all the materials to make your own extraction kit, or bags or however off of mcmaster.com look for filter screen.

Aroma

interesting info awol, thankyou. Really I dont think anyone should be worried, i cant see the legal system over here supporting this kind of lawsuit. I doubt there is much they can do in real terms.

apparently he applied for his patent in feb 1997, so no one could have officially used water and ice extraction before then. really we have a lot to thank this guy for , after all he invented ice hash . (English sarcasm)

A claim like this will never hold up in the courts, i've got a copy of HT from the late 80's early 90's and theres a cold water and ice hash extraction machine in it, i think it was called the "extractor" and was made of stainless steel and looked more like a brewers vat that was converted, almost like a upsidedown liquer still.

Besides, when it comes to cannabis, i'm sure they wont ever take a patent case to seriously, and even if they did and awarded him a judgement, winning and collecting are two different animals.

Peace

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
I cant wait for all the beer companies to chime in with their 20 year old commercials showing ice cold filtered beer.

btw I have recently patented the process I call Jerky® which consists of any hand/finger manipulation of the genitals. All previous use of the word masturbation will cease and those caught making Jerky® without paying due royalties will be sued. Good day.

C

Chamba

Shibby Dobbins wrote "If he legitimately patented the technique before others, why would he be the asshole? He has the right to do what he's doing (assuming his claims are true). Nothin wrong with that... "

so true

for more info on Patents and searches go to the excellent US Patents and Trademarks site

http://www.uspto.gov/index.html

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

and do a search under the inventor's name...this will lead you to the patent which will, if you can read patentese well enough, tell you all about what is covered...

I couldn't find the article and his site has no info about Patent numbers or other claims....I tried searching "Joseph R Pietri " at the US Patents and Trademark site and found no results...

but I remember I tried searching the ice extraction method quite a few years ago (??)and came across a Patent that covered the ice hash process....I forget when it was issued..but there's def an existing Patent out there that covers the bag process.....I couldn't access the link/story..could someone please C&P that story, sil vous plait

G

"Icecold.org and the Xtractor Kit is a venture of Grobots International Inc. Laytonville, CA 95454-0123, USA, and their respective logos are trademarks/registered trademarks worldwide. The "Ice Water Method", The Xtractor Kit and all other applications of the method are protected by US Patent # 6,158,591 and Foreign Patents Pending. This product is only to be used to produce legal plant resin extracts. "

Aroma

The Xtractor Kit and all other applications of the method are protected by US Patent # 6,158,591 and Foreign Patents Pending. This product is only to be used to produce legal plant resin extracts. "

only for legal plant resins. So That would make his threats to sue people selling products for extracting cannabis resin BS. oh well , plenty of that flying about recently. Thanks for the info....

Last edited:

tainted

"only for legal plant resins. So That would make his threats to sue people selling products for extracting cannabis resin BS. oh well , plenty of that flying about recently. Thanks for the info...."

that would mean to escape US patent..the resin equip would need to be labled for extraction of ILLEGAL materials...

sooo it would then be illegal for sale in the US all together...

Diego

Verite last I heard I owned a company called jerking® a month before yours and it has the same fondeling of genitilia method I invented first, guess I'll see you in court.

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
roflmao

roflmao

I met some guy at cannatrade selling these things. He may have been the man himself, though I hope not, cause he wasn't a good rep. He quickly showed me some half assed chunk of hash, saying it was only the 2nd quality, but that this machine could get as good quality but more quantity, than those 'stupid bag crap' methods. who does a trade show and shows off their 2nd quality. :pointlaug

personally i dont see his cause for any lawsuit, they are quite different products, and not even the process is the same. trade marking the english language (water extraction) moronic. :bat:

:fsu:
his explanation as to why water hash didn't taste/smell as good when using bags was hilarious, and totally wrong imo. his reason was that by seperating the gland head from the stalk the flavours were exposed and washed away. meanwhile im playin' with a piece of fmcd lui that reeks to high heaven.... all in all one hell of a laugh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.