What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

Internode

Does anyone in this amazing club know if the 150W HPS can run a CMH bulb? I know the 400s do, but I have a pair of 150's. The ballast is the no-ignitor type. Heavy as hell.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No, the 150 CMH requires a pulse start type metal halide ballast.
Only the 250 and 400 use magnetic HPS ballast.

Internode

Ah. Thank you.
Then I can see I am going to have to buy two ballasts ... I'm going to end up with 2 x 150 HPS and 2 x 150 CMH with a spare bulb for the CMH. Oh well.

zingablack

livin my way the high way
Veteran
Hey all you 150watt growers out there. im new to the club. ive been growin in a small cab with cfls but my hydro store had a sweet 150w hps all in one for 89 bucks. so i scooped it up. now i have a few questions. how close can the bulb be from the tops of my plants safely.

also i went from 160w of cfls to this 150hps. will my temps go up or stay bout where they are?

looking forward to trying out this new light.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
More than likely you will see a bit higher temps.
If you have a very dialed in box with proper heat removal, you can get plants as close as 3-4 inches, but if there isn't constant air between the canopy and the bulb, that close can be trouble. Is this one of those all in one type things with the ballast inside? If so, then they put out extra heat. Proper intake and exhaust are the keys to getting things as close as possible.
You may want to read this thread if you want details..as it is full of details and examples of just what you are asking.

zingablack

Veteran
hey hoosier. im one too..:tiphat:

yea ive been skimmin this thread for advice. as of now i dont have a very dialed box. with the new light on i watched my temps go right on up 107 until i decided to turn it off until i get better ventilation.

i need a VERY quiet exhaust fan. like whisper loud. somewhere round 100-150cfm preferably 4in diameter. anybody out there have any suggestions?

GlassHoler

Hey Zinga,

Were currently using a few large computer fans that are 110v (i think they may have actually came off of a server unit :dunno:) that move quite a bit of air and are super quiet....

I guess i'm suggesting that you look into computer fans if you need quiet small efficiency. Or maybe I'm just :joint: :tiphat:

KolorBlind

Zingablack - I dont know how your budget is, but if you have about $90 to drop on a fan, I highly recommend a S&P TD-100x. HERE is a link. I got mine for about $92 shipped. It has a 100 and a 135CFM setting and is ULTRA quiet. The 100CFM setting is comparable to the sound of a computer running (not a loud ass poorly maintained one lol) and the 135 is a bit louder. It is very strong though, I used one for my 150w mini fridge and it kept my temps no higher than 81F, average was about 78F.

Also keep in mind that if the ballast and components are also inside your cab, even 150CFM may not be enough to keep the heat down. In my experiences, watt for watt, HID lights are much cooler but ONLY if the ballast is outside the cab. Think about a CFL, all it is is a long flourescent light bulb twisted up with an internal ballast on it. Anyone who has ran over 200w of CFLs knows just how hot they can make a cab. Sure they may not be very hot to the touch, but the heat of the bulb PLUS the ballast adds up after a while.

Computer fans CAN work, but a 150w light in a small space will do much better with more. Plus an inline or centrifugal fan is a MUST if you plan on using a carbon scrubber. No PC fan in the world will effectively scrub air and keep temps down, just not enough pull. At least not that I have ever seen, I gave up on PC fans a while ago for exhaust. i do, however, ALWAYS have one blowing across my HID lights, in combination with good ventilation it allows you to get the plants 2-4" from a 150 or 3-5" from a 250.

Best of luck
KB

GlassHoler

Zingablack - I dont know how your budget is, but if you have about $90 to drop on a fan, I highly recommend a S&P TD-100x. HERE is a link. I got mine for about $92 shipped. It has a 100 and a 135CFM setting and is ULTRA quiet. The 100CFM setting is comparable to the sound of a computer running (not a loud ass poorly maintained one lol) and the 135 is a bit louder. It is very strong though, I used one for my 150w mini fridge and it kept my temps no higher than 81F, average was about 78F.

Also keep in mind that if the ballast and components are also inside your cab, even 150CFM may not be enough to keep the heat down. In my experiences, watt for watt, HID lights are much cooler but ONLY if the ballast is outside the cab. Think about a CFL, all it is is a long flourescent light bulb twisted up with an internal ballast on it. Anyone who has ran over 200w of CFLs knows just how hot they can make a cab. Sure they may not be very hot to the touch, but the heat of the bulb PLUS the ballast adds up after a while.

Computer fans CAN work, but a 150w light in a small space will do much better with more. Plus an inline or centrifugal fan is a MUST if you plan on using a carbon scrubber. No PC fan in the world will effectively scrub air and keep temps down, just not enough pull. At least not that I have ever seen, I gave up on PC fans a while ago for exhaust. i do, however, ALWAYS have one blowing across my HID lights, in combination with good ventilation it allows you to get the plants 2-4" from a 150 or 3-5" from a 250.

Best of luck
KB
:yeahthats

I based my grow off of KB's, but we didn't need a scrubber so a few large (mind you 4" diameter fans) computer fans were working for us. Make sure to check out the sub-forum on growroom designs, they have some wicked info on how to set up a grow box to properly circulate.

sito007

Hi guys! :tiphat: Overgrow refugee here. Haven't posted on a site since overgrow got shutdown. This looks and feels like home so I'm aboard the 150 HPS club. Here's my ladies at day 54 of 12/12. Gonna go 70+, a ways to go still. 3 plants total, seeds came from a cross I made from an unknown bagseed I got in LasVegas many moons ago. Out of 3 seeds, 1 survived and was female and was super duper potent and has a strong rose flower smell mixed with the smell of fruity pebbles cereal. I have kept that plant alive for years and years through reveg and cloning as I will never let it die! I took a white widow male and let him bust a nut all over the unknown Vegas female plant to produce seeds. These plants are the outcome of that cross.

what up OG Brother , welcome home. like the story about your males white-widow busting a nut on the hoe,,

mayorofthdesert

I just spun my cabinet's 150s 90 degrees. I'm gonna do scrogs and let the plant overgrow the perimeter making a cube of weed around the lights. I'm optomistic about yield increases. I made some covers for the lights for while I'm tending the plants, they're on in the pic:

picture.php

zingablack

Veteran
ok so i think ive figured out where i went wrong. i bought the light on an impulse at the hydro store. i saw a self contained 150w hps for 89bucks so i scooped it up. got an extra 10% off too.:)

ive come to realize. i shouldve just build a cooltube.

i will be buying that s&p fan. looks great

im thinking i may cut an opening in the light hood and attach a cpu fan. or connect it to my exhaust. which do yall think would be best.

ike this <<<fan----carbon filter----light hood<<<
or should i do << carbon filter---fan----light hood<<<

Kolorblind
hey man do you think that s&p would be strong enough to pull thru my homemade small carbon scubber and still pull enough over the light.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im slowly collecting certain items needed for a complete cab overhaul/rebuild. of course a thread will follow.:dance013:... lol
so the new light may sit awhile.

i now know just bout all i need in way of supplies so its just a matter of getting the money for them all.

im working on a design on sketchup. once i get it finalized a tad bit more. ill throw up a picture. only thing im really having trouble with is the door. ill xplain later with the design.

thanks for the help guys/gals. i really appreciate it.

if only i could go back to having a gro room. that was easy.
these cabs area headache... but alotta fun. cyall later:wave::thank you:

U

ukganjafarmer

this thread is great, and it thanks to all of you that i decided to grab a 150w hps to and i love it, i havent had as much success as most of you but im new to growing so hope to get ther in the end, pipedream ur setup is amazing i cant beleive the size of the colas u grow with this little light.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread if i cud rep u all i wud !

U

ukganjafarmer

ok so i think ive figured out where i went wrong. i bought the light on an impulse at the hydro store. i saw a self contained 150w hps for 89bucks so i scooped it up. got an extra 10% off too.:)

ive come to realize. i shouldve just build a cooltube.

i will be buying that s&p fan. looks great

im thinking i may cut an opening in the light hood and attach a cpu fan. or connect it to my exhaust. which do yall think would be best.

ike this <<<fan----carbon filter----light hood<<<
or should i do << carbon filter---fan----light hood<<<

Kolorblind
hey man do you think that s&p would be strong enough to pull thru my homemade small carbon scubber and still pull enough over the light.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im slowly collecting certain items needed for a complete cab overhaul/rebuild. of course a thread will follow.:dance013:... lol
so the new light may sit awhile.

i now know just bout all i need in way of supplies so its just a matter of getting the money for them all.

im working on a design on sketchup. once i get it finalized a tad bit more. ill throw up a picture. only thing im really having trouble with is the door. ill xplain later with the design.

thanks for the help guys/gals. i really appreciate it.

if only i could go back to having a gro room. that was easy.
these cabs area headache... but alotta fun. cyall later:wave::thank you:

Hey if you are talking about the s&p td160 fan then i think it shud handle that fine, i run mine on low speed sucking through my carbon filter and out of my homemade muffler/silencer and it keeps everything cool enough.

EDIT: pic of my setup

toastfighter2

Hey zingablack, converting that self contained light into a remote ballasted cool tube wouldn't be any harder than converting a security light. Once I had everything together, it only took about a half hour to do, and that's including mounting it up and a smoke break. I am also using a 85cfm pc style fan(but it runs on straight 120ac) to exhaust my light, and I can hold my hand right in the glass above the bulb. Hell, right now, my basement is cold enough that I only have it run in 15 minute intervals twice an hour to help keep it warm enough.

zingablack

Veteran
hey UK. my grocab is a bit smaller than yours so i think ill have to hook up a fan directly to the light. as well as the s&p for ventilation.

toast- im considering building a cooltube but not with the light i bought. maybe if i see a clearance light at HD

U

ukganjafarmer

hey UK. my grocab is a bit smaller than yours so i think ill have to hook up a fan directly to the light. as well as the s&p for ventilation.

toast- im considering building a cooltube but not with the light i bought. maybe if i see a clearance light at HD

i used to hav a small pc fan cooling my bulb but the only way i cud setup it up ment that it blocked light so i took it off,i can still get the bulb 3-4 inches from canopy.