What's new

US Prisons are some of the worst in the world.

Charybdis

One of the things that bothers me the most about the US is the state of our judicial system, especially our correctional system. This post is fairly heavy so if you're really ripped I'd recommend another topic. I think people should be aware of this problem. Our correctional system is terrible, and I don't think we can honestly say that we're a good and moral nation so long as it's the way it is, and getting worse.

Here are a few quick facts that may make your jaw drop.

-There are 8 million people incarcerated in the world. Of which, over 2 million are in US prisons and jails.

-We have more people in prison than any other nation in the world, both in actual numbers, as well as proportionally.

-The only countries which kill more inmates sentenced to death than the US are China, North Korea, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. Not to mention all those who die due to their conditions.

-In Louisiana (the state with the highest rate of incarceration), one in every 26 adults are under correctional control if probation and parole are included. Many are serving time at Angola, which is a modern day prison plantation.

-Blacks and other minorities have it even worse. One in every 3 black men can expect to find themselves jailed at some point.

"African-Americans are arrested, prosecuted, and imprisoned for drug offenses at far higher rates than whites. This racial disparity bears little relationship to racial differences in drug offending. For example, although the proportion of all drug users who are black is generally in the range of 13 to 15 percent, blacks constitute 36 percent of arrests for drug possession. Blacks constitute 63 percent of all drug offenders admitted to state prisons. In at least fifteen states, black men were sent to prison on drug charges at rates ranging from twenty to fifty-seven times those of white men."

-Over 2500 youths are serving life without the possibility of parole. We are the only country that sentences youth to life without parole (every other nation recognizes that it's cruel and unusual punishment).

-In many states, prisoners lose their right to vote, sometimes permanently.

-In some states, if you are imprisoned and later found not guilty, the state owes you absolutely nothing. Louisiana is one of them. There are many cases where someone will be freed due to DNA evidence after 20 years. They are owed nothing for their time.

-In all states, it is much more difficult to file a lawsuit as a prisoner, thanks to the Prisoner Litigation Reform Act. At many prisons, there's basically no way for someone to file a case after being raped, beaten, etc.

So those are the statistics about how it's a problem. But the conditions are great right? Our prisons are some of the roughest in the world, especially relative to the rest of the developed world. People routinely go to jail for a non-violent offense, and end up coming out with hepatitis c and AIDS, after having been raped repeatedly.

Here's a topic on something awful which inspired me to make this topic. You don't have to be a member to read it. It's really depressing stuff but good to know.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3161033&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Personally, I think if we're going to call ourselves a moral nation, we have to treat everyone with some basic level of decency - even prisoners. Treating them like shit doesn't do anything positive - in fact it makes things much worse. There's a fairly good new book out called When Brute Force Fails by Mark Kleiman I've been reading. It's up on Google books for free.

It really disgusts me that there's this huge problem out there that no politician gives a **** about. They usually have competitions to see who can be the most brutal in fact. After looking at our own prisons, it's easy to see how things like Abu Graib happened. They're no different than our own jails. Actually Abu Graib probably isn't as bad, since they didn't have to worry about sexual violence.

Happy trails.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
The prison-law enforcement business is a HUGE industry with share holders and millions of people making a good living out of it.........

If so many people were not getting locked up all of the time then the shareholders would not be getting their dividends and law enforcement workers would be made unemployed.....

So it is to the advantage of the whole system and those that feed off it to lock as many people up as possible for what ever reason. ......The more criminals they make out of society the richer they get.....sad but true.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I recently read it costs $25,000 a year per inmate in the US... with so many incarcerated, that is some serious money ...

:-(

*source - freakonomics by steven d levitt & stephen j dubner

Charybdis

dddw.jpg

b7nitd.jpg

alaskan

Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit
At worst, Hillary Transue thought she might get a stern lecture when she appeared before a judge for building a spoof MySpace page mocking the assistant principal at her high school in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. She was a stellar student who had never been in trouble, and the page stated clearly at the bottom that it was just a joke.

Instead, the judge sentenced her to three months at a juvenile detention center on a charge of harassment.

She was handcuffed and taken away as her stunned parents stood by.

“I felt like I had been thrown into some surreal sort of nightmare,” said Hillary, 17, who was sentenced in 2007. “All I wanted to know was how this could be fair and why the judge would do such a thing.”

The answers became a bit clearer on Thursday as the judge, Mark A. Ciavarella Jr., and a colleague, Michael T. Conahan, appeared in federal court in Scranton, Pa., to plead guilty to wire fraud and income tax fraud for taking more than $2.6 million in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers run by PA Child Care and a sister company, Western PA Child Care.

While prosecutors say that Judge Conahan, 56, secured contracts for the two centers to house juvenile offenders, Judge Ciavarella, 58, was the one who carried out the sentencing to keep the centers filled.

“In my entire career, I’ve never heard of anything remotely approaching this,” said Senior Judge Arthur E. Grim, who was appointed by the State Supreme Court this week to determine what should be done with the estimated 5,000 juveniles who have been sentenced by Judge Ciavarella since the scheme started in 2003. Many of them were first-time offenders and some remain in detention.

The case has shocked Luzerne County, an area in northeastern Pennsylvania that has been battered by a loss of industrial jobs and the closing of most of its anthracite coal mines.

And it raised concerns about whether juveniles should be required to have counsel either before or during their appearances in court and whether juvenile courts should be open to the public or child advocates.

If the court agrees to the plea agreement, both judges will serve 87 months in federal prison and resign from the bench and bar. They are expected to be sentenced in the next several months. Lawyers for both men declined to comment.

Since state law forbids retirement benefits to judges convicted of a felony while in office, the judges would also lose their pensions.

With Judge Conahan serving as president judge in control of the budget and Judge Ciavarella overseeing the juvenile courts, they set the kickback scheme in motion in December 2002, the authorities said.

They shut down the county-run juvenile detention center, arguing that it was in poor condition, the authorities said, and maintained that the county had no choice but to send detained juveniles to the newly built private detention centers.

Prosecutors say the judges tried to conceal the kickbacks as payments to a company they control in Florida.

Though he pleaded guilty to the charges Thursday, Judge Ciavarella has denied sentencing juveniles who did not deserve it or sending them to the detention centers in a quid pro quo with the centers.

But Assistant United States Attorney Gordon A. Zubrod said after the hearing that the government continues to charge a quid pro quo.

“We’re not negotiating that, no,” Mr. Zubrod said. “We’re not backing off.”

No charges have been filed against executives of the detention centers. Prosecutors said the investigation into the case was continuing.

For years, youth advocacy groups complained that Judge Ciavarella was unusually harsh. He sent a quarter of his juvenile defendants to detention centers from 2002 to 2006, compared with a state rate of 1 in 10. He also routinely ignored requests for leniency made by prosecutors and probation officers.

“The juvenile system, by design, is intended to be a less punitive system than the adult system, and yet here were scores of children with very minor infractions having their lives ruined,” said Marsha Levick, a lawyer with the Philadelphia-based Juvenile Law Center.

“There was a culture of intimidation surrounding this judge and no one was willing to speak up about the sentences he was handing down.

more at the link...
Last I heard (a few months back) the judges got off with just a warning...

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you think US prisons are bad, try mexico.

Foucault has a great quote about prisons being a measure of the progress within society, but I can't find it right now.

Tronic

maybe a bad prison SYSTEM, but dude your chart proves you wrong. the less it costs to house you, the shittier the conditions / i.e. the worst prisons.....

american prisons, if you want to, are not too bad. by no means are they a walk in the park but one could request PC 24 isolation and just read your time away. Much better, than say, shivering in the dirt somewhere with wild animals having just as many diseases as the inmates.

carhartt

Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit
Last I heard (a few months back) the judges got off with just a warning...

They got seven years

Two Luzerne County Judges yesterday pleaded guilty to federal charges that they received millions of dollars in kickbacks from two persons engaged in the operation and construction of juvenile detention facilities in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. The guilty pleas of Judges Mark Ciavarella, Jr. and Michael T. Conahan resulted in seven year prison sentences for both men.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1428015/luzerne_county_penn_judges_mark_ciavarella.html

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Just think of how many people and professions actually benefit from locking or trying to lock us up......

....so many are in jails worldwide for victimless crimes and/or minor infractions and it's to the direct advantage of the whole criminal justice system that society is criminalized further and more laws are introduced to do this......

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gypsy is right.

The Prisons have lobbyist here. We have people lobbying to lock up other people and increase sentences. It's all about the money and it's perverse at the most basic of levels.

G

good drown

i think you can blame alot of this stuff on the media. I never really understand the upside to movies like saw, or similar. I think movies like saw or hostile, glorify killing and torture. i see no reason for this, as it can only have negative effects. I would love to see the GOOD that has come from such sick and twisted "horror" movies. but i guess if you start censoring this kind of thing, more people will get mad at that, then the vast number of serial killers in the united states

itisme

Veteran
The prison-law enforcement business is a HUGE industry with share holders and millions of people making a good living out of it.........

If so many people were not getting locked up all of the time then the shareholders would not be getting their dividends and law enforcement workers would be made unemployed.....

So it is to the advantage of the whole system and those that feed off it to lock as many people up as possible for what ever reason. ......The more criminals they make out of society the richer they get.....sad but true.

AMEN GN AMEN BROTHER!!!

SECURITY GAURD UNION IS N0. 2 UNION IN THE WORLD BY NUMBERS!

If you know ANYBODY in a PRIVATELY OWNED PRISON then you know a CURRENT DAY SLAVE!!!

The GOV'T pays them so much a HEAD and then they can make them do work and the PRISON OWNED BY STOCKHOLDERS OR PRIVATE INDIVIUALS GET TO REEP THE BENEFITS of their work!!!

SLAVERY IN THE US IN 2010

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think you can blame alot of this stuff on the media.

I think the blame falls mainly on the policies that have been coming out of Washington.

The fact that movies are so violent now may reflect the criminalization of the American society.

Art imitating life or life imitating art? :dunno:

itisme

Veteran
I recently read it costs $25,000 a year per inmate in the US... with so many incarcerated, that is some serious money ...

:-(

*source - freakonomics by steven d levitt & stephen j dubner

I think that is a LOWBALL NUMBER! It is more like $45 to $55,000 on AVERAGE! FEDERAL PRISON GAURDS AND LOTS OF OTHERS MAKE HUGE MONEY!!!

They are UNION after all!

itisme

Veteran
you think US prisons are bad, try mexico.

Foucault has a great quote about prisons being a measure of the progress within society, but I can't find it right now.

That is like JUSTIFYING A KILLER buy saying, Hey I shot you with a Pistol and could had used a GRENADE LAUNCHER!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
US Prisons are some of the worst in the world.......

US Prisons are some of the worst in the world.......

that's odd considering how many stoners are jailed yearly

A

Amstel Light

american prisons, if you want to, are not too bad. by no means are they a walk in the park but one could request PC 24 isolation and just read your time away. .

i always wondered about this..can you just be sent to isolation on request, without attacking a screw? I might go on a crime spree now.... THANKS!