What's new

length of hairs

does size matter?..hehehe..until about a month ago i'd been growin with nothin but fluoros. i always noticed that the pictures i seen of other marijuana hairs were bigger than mine and it always bothered me...now that i'm flowerin with hps it's a different story..is it because of the lighting?...if my plants have small hairs,what does it mean?

M

medi-useA

Are you talking about Pistile...the white things on flowers th@ change colour, or is it the thc glands on the stems or leaves?...a pic is useful

muA

M

medi-useA

There WILL be some differences...flouro's just do not have the brute force light penetration of hps/mh lamps...but flouro's grow some really good buds...do a search of ICMag...you'll find some humdingers!

muA

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Environmental parameters only shape plants through stress. Stress will force different strains and clones to taste similar. The less stress, the better the genes express themselves and the more different each clone will taste, smell and smoke. Two different advanced growers with completely different methods will come out with identical results with the same clone. Give that same clone to two intermediate growers, and their different stresses will produce a product that will be quite different.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
In my experience lighting spectrum does matter, alot. Mr. G is right, genetics obviously play a big role, and as muA said the health of the plant will make a difference too.

I have a particular strain (sensi's superskunk) I've grown it under warmwhite flouros, daylight flouros, cold cathode lights, CMH, and MH. I get different lengths of pistils in different spectrums and intensity. I think it's much more dependant on spectrum rather then intensity.

My SS has been grown under these varied spectrums and intensity, (always in the same soil with the same nutes) and I've noticed the following results.

WW cfl, 100w+ per sq. ft- about 1/2" sized pistils.
daylight cfl, 120w per sq ft- about 1/2" as well.
ccfl (red, white blue colormix) ~25w per sq ft. lonnnng pistils almost an inch. (I have nooo idea what the average spectrum of these mixed colors is/are)
CMH: 400w over 3'x3' area- slightly longer pistils, about 3/4"
MH: 400w over 3'x3' area- about 1/2 " pretty much the same as the cfl's.

You'll see that the longest hairs are on the plants with the lowest wattage, and the shortest hairs are on the plants that actually have the most lumens per sq ft.

I'm not saying that less intensity makes for longer hairs though!! I am saying that the spectrum is responsible. Just mentioning the wattage/lumens per sq ft measurement because I don't personally think that it's responsible for the differences that I'm seeing with this particular strain.

Sorry I don't have high enough quality pics to show the differences clearly, I realllly wish I did though. If you check out my grows (linked in my sig) you might be able to catch a glimpse of what I mean, but it will be pretty blurry. :joint:

edit: what spectrum cfls were you running prior to hps? hps is bout the only type of light that I haven't flowered this particular strain under. Ironicly I know tons of growers but no one is using hps! lol!

In my experience lighting spectrum does matter, alot. Mr. G is right, genetics obviously play a big role, and as muA said the health of the plant will make a difference too.

I have a particular strain (sensi's superskunk) I've grown it under warmwhite flouros, daylight flouros, cold cathode lights, CMH, and MH. I get different lengths of pistils in different spectrums and intensity. I think it's much more dependant on spectrum rather then intensity.

My SS has been grown under these varied spectrums and intensity, (always in the same soil with the same nutes) and I've noticed the following results.

WW cfl, 100w+ per sq. ft- about 1/2" sized pistils.
daylight cfl, 120w per sq ft- about 1/2" as well.
ccfl (red, white blue colormix) ~25w per sq ft. lonnnng pistils almost an inch. (I have nooo idea what the average spectrum of these mixed colors is/are)
CMH: 400w over 3'x3' area- slightly longer pistils, about 3/4"
MH: 400w over 3'x3' area- about 1/2 " pretty much the same as the cfl's.

You'll see that the longest hairs are on the plants with the lowest wattage, and the shortest hairs are on the plants that actually have the most lumens per sq ft.

I'm not saying that less intensity makes for longer hairs though!! I am saying that the spectrum is responsible. Just mentioning the wattage/lumens per sq ft measurement because I don't personally think that it's responsible for the differences that I'm seeing with this particular strain.

Sorry I don't have high enough quality pics to show the differences clearly, I realllly wish I did though. If you check out my grows (linked in my sig) you might be able to catch a glimpse of what I mean, but it will be pretty blurry. :joint:

edit: what spectrum cfls were you running prior to hps? hps is bout the only type of light that I haven't flowered this particular strain under. Ironicly I know tons of growers but no one is using hps! lol!
didnt have cfl's..4 ft mxed spectrum fluoros.