What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HOW DO YOU HANG YOUR LIGHT?

trinity

If using a bolt to screw in the ceiling, what do I look for at home depot and is there a safe way to screw it in the ceiling so it doesnt fall out?

Bonzo

Veteran
What kind of light/hood? When i hang my lights i find the joists in the cieling, then i screw 2x3s into them using long 3 1/2" drywall screws, its best to pilot holes when using long screws. Once you have your 2x3s in the cieling you can do whatever you want without too much damage to the cieling.

So you see once you have the 2x3s securely screwed you can hang anything you want from em' and you can also move and/or add things as needed. Again with minimal damage to your cieling.

Hope this helps and feel free to give me a holla if you need more input, i love biuldin grow rooms and am happy to help. :woohoo:

peace and proper pilot holes

bonz :wave:

G

I use a pulley for each rope connection and cleats to tie it off. About $5

Sleepy

Veteran
i have 2 of those "j" hooks screwed into the cieling, "s" hooks and some chains. :confused:

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I use j hooks screwed into the joist. Then use chains to hang it with. I used to use a rack made out of 11/2'' pvc pipe which worked very well but it often got in the way when working around the table.

G

I'm with Bonzo and ResinRy, the chain setup is nice, it is infinatley adjustable and strong enough to hold the weight of the light and fixture. I use the white plastic coated stuff from Home Depot and it works great plus you can buy in bulk and cheap.

I like using the big eye bolts that screw into a stud and "S" looks to hold the fixture.

Bonzo, I like your style, that's the kind of cieling setup you really need to do it right.

Make sure you hit cieling joist when mounting

Tex

G

A cieling joist is the wood laid across the top of your interior walls, usally a 2"x6" on edge. This is what the sheetrock on your cieling attaches to.

Depending on the building code in your area the spacing is constant, usually on 16" centers with no second floor.

It just gives your screw or nail or bolt something solid to go into otherwise you'll just pull the cieling down on top of yourself and your grow op.

Tex

dubmantx

yes bonzo very clean and nice setup there! Currently Im using a shelf that i raise and lower but it only covers about half the grow area so im scheming for a method to hang the light in the area that is not right next to the wall. I have 2 lights on 1 shelf now. Id like to leave one there and hang the other... Work in progress...

dubmantx

Wreck...
What i would do is lightly tap on the ceiling with a hammer you should be able to hear where it is solid (joist) and where there is nothing behind the sheetrock. Also you could use an electric studfinder but id keep the recipt and return it ;)

G

Stud finders are wonderful

I am an old school wall knocker myself.

Tex

Bonzo

Veteran
Stud-finders are great for drywall but can steer ya wrong on an ald fashioned plaster and lath wall. Im a wall knocker as well, and then i use screws to find the center of the stud/joist, you can feel a screw push to left or right when your on the edge of a stud and of course right in between is center of stud. :woohoo:

bonz

Hey not to get off the subject but maybe you can help me TK, I have 4, 3 foot floro fixtures in the top of my cab. They didnt come with plugs, just a black and a white wire comin out of each ballast, do i just wire black to black and white to white and then wire a plug to the end? :confused: I was gonna use an extention cord with the female end cut off.

this oic shows 3 fixtures, i just added one more.

bonz

G

There should be a black and white and then a green screw for your ground wire directly on the fixture.

I "daisy chained" mine before(not the safest) and have also done seperate plugs for each. Go buy about 20 feet(real cheap like this) of the black flexible 12/2 wire and some grounded plug ends. The electrical dept of HD has all of it for around $20 total for all three lights. I think the ends are bright orange and just clam shell open, you make yur connections and close up with the screws on the side. Easy cheezy stuff.

The fixtures themselves have a series of round plugs in the bottom/back that are not punched through. I usually just push in the little plug for enough to get my cord through but still retain a hold on the cord.

Tex

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
There should also be a green wire (ground), if not, what i would do, is use the green from your extension cord (3-prong) and attach it to a screw and drill it into the metal casing. But other than that you just connect black to black and white to white. For FIRE SAFTEY:hotbounce, make sure that the wires inside the extension cord (black, white, green) are bigger than the wires you are attachin em' to... smaller gauge = bigger wire.

Bonzo

Veteran
OK cool man, i didnt see the ground screw at first. So with just a black and a white im not using the ground screw? Everything else makes sense, i know the orange plugs your talkin about ,ive used the before. If im usin 12/2 theres no ground eh? Sorry for being so electrically challenged, i appreciate your help.

bonz

Bonzo

Veteran
So i would get 12/3 then and attatch the green to the ground screw on the fixture?