What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

root afids!!!!!

issack

Veteran
root afids...help!!!...going to water with diatomatious earth and neem oil today when i get off work...took these shots this morning...my plants are going down hill and i'm freakin out!!!!!.....afids are everywhere in my soil!!!!
fuck!!!!

G

is this the same thing as fungus gnats? if so.....Fungus gnats like to feed on roots of the plants and organic matter. Adults and larvae live in moist, shady areas. The adults lay there eggs on top of the soil, near the base of the stem and takes about 4 days to hatch. The larvae will start by eating the root hairs of the plant then working their way up the plant, Fungus gnats like to eat organic matter so they will be stealing away nutrients from your plants, so its best to get rid of them completely.

If plants are outdoors, check the soil of plants before taking them back indoors for adult gnats or their larvae.

Prevent indoor entry of gnats by making sure there is no open windows open without screens on. Aug is a bad time for them as they are worst that time of the year.

Put sticky traps on the soil surface to trap the gnats

Put potato slices on the surface of the soil. The larvae like it and will be drawn to it.. After about 4 to 5 days, remove the potato slices with the larvae. To get rid of them you can do a lot of things like either use a NO pest strip, neem oil or putting sand on the surface of the soil will suffocate the eggs and get rid of them as well. Tobacco juice kills them, and works well for re-occurrences!

They can be in or on the soil and can fly. In order to get rid of them you can use neem oil, sand on the surface again kills them, and no pest strips catch the ones that fly. A chemical product called Zone works very well and is very powerful and works well in hydro!

from the scik plant and ph and pest thread by mynameisstich

issack

Veteran
i had a fungus gnat problem and fixed it with neem oil...these are different than gnats nothing is flying in my room at all...just in the soil...thanks STANKBUD for sending me some good energy. i'm still trying to get some more info.....i'm loosing sleep man...ahhhhhh!!!!!!

G

got this off of ask ed rosenthal on cannabis culture, hope it helps....

Root aphids colonize and suck juices from roots in many mediums including horticultural pebbles, rockwool and planting mixes. They are persistent, so it requires some discipline to eliminate them. There are several organic products that can be used without affecting the plant, the buds, or the safety of the buds for later human consumption. The first is organic pyrethrum. This is a natural insecticide gathered from a chrysanthemum-type flower. There are several brands of liquid concentrate. If pyrethrum liquid is not available at your local nursery or garden shop you can order it on the internet.

Botanigard is an insecticide that is composed of a living fungus, beauveria bassiana. This fungus seeks out aphids and infects them, causing death. Then it releases spores waiting for more victims. It also works to control whiteflies and thrips. You can order it at many garden stores or through garden websites on the internet.

Neem oil and citrus oil have also been used to kill aphids, but they sometimes affect the roots. Test them on a sample plant before using either of them in the garden.

The aphids should be treated every other day with a minimum of six treatments. Rotate the insecticides. Botanigard can be combined with pyrethrum. The neem and citrus oils can be mixed with each other as well as pyrethrum. The idea is to totally eliminate the pests.

If the plants are growing in a hydroponic system, rather than mixing the treatment in the reservoir, make a special batch of water. Turn off the hydroponic system and water the plants using a watering can. Let the insecticide water stay in the root area for at least an hour before turning the hydroponic unit back on.

Once the aphids are gone, it is difficult for them to reinfect. They were probably introduced to your garden by a new element such as a clone or infected planting mix.

issack

Veteran
thanks stankbud...i'm off to the garden store after work...i did get some diatomatious earth...have you heard of this helping?

G

yeah I have heard of it, but have no hands on experience with it. Apparantly it cuts up their exoskeleton (sp?) while coming up out of the soil, and they die. Can't remember how long it takes to kill 'em tho. If I remember right, it works on any unhatched ones too. Won't swear to it, but I think you can scratch it down into the soil too help with the unhatched ones. I'll try to remember where I saw this and post a link, donno, the old grey cells ain't what they used to be, if they ever were.

Hope some of this helps, ya worked too hard to lose it now to them little bast***s

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
fungus gants will rob your plants

use the info above that stankbud has given you

or if you dont want to use chemicals use sand on top of your soil.... that will help them stop coming up..... and if you get flyers use sticky traps no pest strips

after you have gotten rid of them
use some iron on your plants your plant has been robbed of them........
i hate pests :mad:

issack

Veteran
THEY ARE NOT FUNGUS GNATS..THEY ARE ROOT AFIDS.
i just waterd with 1 tbl spoon neem 1tbls dish soap..and a whole cup of diatomatious earth....so we will see what happends..

issack

Veteran
Thank you STANKBUD for spending the time to help and research this ...i am going tomorow to find that product....if what i did does not work i will try that...
Aloha

issack

Veteran
the root afids are comming to an end...with the neem/soap/ and diatomatious earth watering they are falling out the pots and dying....DIE FUCKERS!!!!

GOING TO PUT A SHIT LOAD OF DIATOMATIOUS EARTH IN THE SOIL IN MY NEXT GROW...I THINK THIS STUFF IS THE TICKET..it cuts the insects up as they come in contact with it....

hope it will end up totally killing them...organic pyrethrum is 180 dollars for a gallon here....SHEESH!!!...and they only sell gallons.....i will try my method and that will be my next resort...

G

Brother, I'm just glad I could post something helpful, like I said I watched that thread and you worked TOO hard to lose it now. Doing the snoopy and woodstock happy feet dance for ya issack!!

mosess187

:badday: Think i'm having the same type of attack :yoinks: they had to have came from the soil, but my older plants did'nt go threw this :badday: i'm going too go to home depot and see if i can't locate this stuff you were talking about :Bolt:
p.s i'm just wondering what did those afids look like; these things here look like transparent-miny-earthworms of some sort :chin: :mad: :wallbash:

:smoweed:

issack

Veteran
no afids have an exoskeleton...and look like a small tick or something.....whatever it is if you put a tablespoon of neem oil and a tablespoon of dishsoap.....and a fat cup of diatomatious earth...you will kill them...

noooooooo home depot....call a garden center or something....
the stuff i got is used for pool filters...it's the same stuff but just micro fine...with is better for us so it can get everywhere in the soil....
call a pool place as well.....

G

i hate thease things.

I have them on top of a spider mite problem.

Spider mites are gone. Thease little jumping bitches are still hopping around my soil havin a blast.

And yea like little small white jumping grains of rice, little basterds.

HydroManiac

I am having the same problem as you MarijuanaMesiah mites and alphids. This is a major pain because I have plants in every phase of growing right now and clones in the cloner and they have all come under attack from these unwanted pests.

HM

G

HM - same deal over here but they seam to like to kick it to full atack mode once in flowering.Thats when i actully start to see the plants effected by the bugs, although i could just be under feeding N and assuming that the symptoms the plants are showing are the bugs.

Either way i want thease creepie crawlies out, gives me the jeebies!

I got some no pest strips, 2 no pest strips in the flower area and 2 in the veg.

Set the exhaust to turn off for 3 hours at night, Hopeing to kill thease pests. There definatly less prevelnt now by far.

Im still occasionaly able to find some eggs under a leaf or a bug in the soil, but nothing like the infestation was before.

Last edited:
G

1 inch of perlite

1 inch of perlite

issack said:
root afids...help!!!...going to water with diatomatious earth and neem oil today when i get off work...took these shots this morning...my plants are going down hill and i'm freakin out!!!!!.....afids are everywhere in my soil!!!!
fuck!!!!

try suffocating them with an inch of perlite on soil bed for a week, water first, then use fine perlite, remove in a week,,,,dont overwater during this time;)....worked for me=) bd
then enjoy one of those konas.......

Last edited: