What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Hempy Buckets - First Grow

I'm flocking to soil for the summer heat. I prefer hydro, and you can sample some of my work here.

I've learned that DWC and summer don't mix so well, so I figured to play with soil and see what happens.

Current gene pool:
G13xHaze - from Barney's
Mexican Sativa - commercial bagseed from Florida
Mendo Purps - gifted from a kind grower in NorCal
PowerSkunk - from g13 labs
GHG - my personal breeding project strain
Booze - breeding strain
Root - breeding strain
Cali - commercial bagseed from california

As this will be my first attempt in soil, I greatly appreciate any advice one can give. I have been researching but am still a newb :joint:

I'll be updating at least weekly throughout the duration of the grow. Smoke reports and grow reports for all strains. This isn't a commercial operation, but moreso a breeding and learning experiment.

Thanks for stopping by :wave:

I tried editing the first post, but apparently that function aint workin right.

I'm trying to decide on which training techniques to use this grow. The plants will need to be moved, so Scrog is out of the question but LST may still be an option.

Also, anyone want to enlighten me on the use of foliar sprays?

Greenlife1

One thing about soil is that it is pretty simple. Hopefully you won't really have a problem with bugs. But you can mix up some neem oil and spray it on them with a pump sprayer every once in a while for a preventive measure. It dosen't hurt them. Also you will have to really make sure you don't bring any pest in with you when you bring them inside. This can cause all sorts of problems.

Foliar feeding is pretty simple just need a pump sprayer. Mix up a light nute solution(I use seaweed extract, and a little veg nutes, at 1/4 strength.

As far a s training the skys the limit.....kinda depends on the plants. Some like different things. Suppercropping, and LST are problally your best bet.

BigGreen

Veteran
Here ya go oldschool. First I top em at about 8 inches then I lst em the rest of the way.

Hempy 8 days veg

Hempys 10 days veg
If you decide to go hempy you wont regret it its soooo simple.
Heres em 5 days ago
See the growth its very fast and you can get huge yield I expect at least a lb from them 4 plant maybe more. Let me know what you decide if you go dirt use fox farm ocean forest it kicks ass.
Good luck BigGreen

Thanks BigGreen. I'm researching hempys now. Always about the research ya know? :joint:

I'll be trying soil this go round I think. At least for the seedlings :rasta:

Speaking of which, 8 seeds popped the first night. Considering 4 of them were of my breeding experiment strain (which will be known as "GHG" from here on in) I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm using the paper towel inside of a ziplock baggie on top of a linksys router trick. Hopefully a few more days and I can get all the seeds into their new homes.

Greenlife - didn't see ya last time, thanks for stoppin by!

BigGreen - do you LST them to the individual buckets? Just curious. I've done that before, but with this run I plan on moving the buckets around fairly often...

After much research and perusing the local nurseries... I've decided to give hempy buckets a try but with a twist.... Using organic soil as a top layer. (Following "HempyBucqet"'s idea)

It will be my first foray into organics as well as hempys; which should make for a lot of experimental fun :)

Yesterday I prepped the new grow space and transplanted 8 germinated seeds into plastic cups full of org soil mix minus the blood/bone meal. They're currently under 250W of MH.

Today I'll be putting up walls, ventilation, HID lighting and generally getting the flower and veg chambers fixed up. I'll try and snap some pics.

BigGreen

Veteran
Hey bud I just tie em to themselves so you can move em around all you want. Try at least one or two hempy with out the dirt to see if there is any difference. Your gonna love this way of growing it so simple.

It's been almost a month since I had live plants around the place. I'm starting to lose my
ever-present paranoia and ninja like reflexes in dark places :1help:

Luckily we have a few jars laying around from the last run...
d8999a7a60a049e3d1c9e40d3026c0bf_103487.jpg

:joint: :joint: :abduct:

Ahhh... much better! Here we are friends, finally some progress albeit little. I got some
much needed advice and was able to get a second batch of seeds germed 6/17/09. :woohoo:

The majority of seedlings have made it through hell week and one survivor is left from round one.

This is the only seed that survived from the first "PS3-burned-too-death" germination round. Mendo Purp '08.
The bud it came from was one of the best smokes I had last year :joint:

This is another Mendo Purp seed. Almost identical growth pattern to the first, and twice the vigor of all the
other seeds planted thus far. (keep in mind, almost none of this grow will be using costly genetics ;)

As always, advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Question for any organic growers... how long do you wait until amending bone/blood meal? I'm following
blazeoneup's recipe to a T and this is the onepart that escapes me (when seedlings/clones are ready for
the good stuff).

Are you talking about BurnOne's Organics for beginners thread? In it he states that the 'starter' mix should be used until the seedling is 2 weeks, but at the time of planting the seed you should have prepared the soil with the bone/blood meal and kelp and let it sit for 2 weeks to make it ready.

Also, you can use that mix but insted of cooking some mix with the bone/blood meal you can make various teas to water with, depending on stage of the plants life.

Mind you I am a total newbie grower! But I recognized what you were asking. You can look again here:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53792

lordbudly

Veteran
It's been almost a month since I had live plants around the place. I'm starting to lose my
ever-present paranoia and ninja like reflexes in dark places :1help:

Luckily we have a few jars laying around from the last run...
d8999a7a60a049e3d1c9e40d3026c0bf_103487.jpg

:joint: :joint: :abduct:

Ahhh... much better! Here we are friends, finally some progress albeit little. I got some
much needed advice and was able to get a second batch of seeds germed 6/17/09. :woohoo:

The majority of seedlings have made it through hell week and one survivor is left from round one.

This is the only seed that survived from the first "PS3-burned-too-death" germination round. Mendo Purp '08.
The bud it came from was one of the best smokes I had last year :joint:

This is another Mendo Purp seed. Almost identical growth pattern to the first, and twice the vigor of all the
other seeds planted thus far. (keep in mind, almost none of this grow will be using costly genetics ;)

As always, advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Question for any organic growers... how long do you wait until amending bone/blood meal? I'm following
blazeoneup's recipe to a T and this is the onepart that escapes me (when seedlings/clones are ready for
the good stuff).
When the Cotyledon die blast them with blazeoneups recipe

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi osf, if you are still worried about burning them you can put a small cushion of seed mix on top of the rich soil when you transplant - then the roots get to decide when they grow down into the rich soil - this may be good for your sativas.

i'm a professional gardener and ive still managed to burn weed seedlings with too rich a starter soil - they really need next to nothing in terms of nutes for the first few weeks.

the easiest way to go with organics is a good planting soil and then add water until they look like they need feeding - which can often be over halfway through flowering or even never. im sure compost teas etc get good results but a decent soil will go a long way on it's own and more convenient - thats the way i grow

good luck

V.

Verdant- thanks for the advice and information. I'm going to transplant one of the larger seedlings today into an organic hempy bucket, should be interesting ;)

I read up on the guano teas/etc and would like to eventually try them, but for now I have enough bone/blood meal to last me a few grows.

Pics to come after the transplant!

Pics and a funny story

Pics and a funny story

So, I got online today and saw your post Green. Grabbed the camera and headed out to get a few quick shots of my beautiful plants (which were in perfect condition) and I kid you not, my wolf hybrid was actively eating the soil mix!!! :wallbash:

The plants didn't get hurt too bad, just a bit banged up. They're going in a fenced area from now on :noway:

alas, I present the transplanted 19 day old seedlings. There are several more seedlings still in red cups awaiting transplant...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php