What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sudden influx of feminised seeds?

illuminatus

Anyone else notice the amount of feminised seeds available lately? Some of the more respectable breeders don't offer feminised varieties and I would like to hear your opinions on the "sudden influx" of feminised seeds! :joint:

willostat

I dont like it for the most part. I enjoy beaning for f2s and f3s, and observing the genetics available in variety. And of course pollen chuckin for groovy new beans to try such as blueberry x sensi star etc etc. but you see that s where the companies lose money. Im here playing with my own beans not buying fresh new ones as often as theyd like.

I really hope its not the future but probably is.

Last edited:

CC Rider

willostat said:
its better for noobs and commercial applications...faster mom hunts.

exactly....its for people who just want some herbs and dont feel the need to find that "one"......and or make beans...

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Besides the attraction to newbies & commercial growers, I see it as a way for breeders to keep care of their genetics. Harder to replicate w/ no males. and they can charge more. :bashhead:
Of course Sam, DJ, Shanti, to name the best, aren't having any of it, thank goodness!
I was sad to hear ACE playing around w/ fem releases, but in spain, there's a huge demand for fem beans, and they have to compete w/ hacks who are S1'ing ACE/Cannabiogen gear!

All I know is I'm glad I've stockpiled! :D

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'm a Femished seed guy all the way. It saves me a ton of dirt and supplys. I don't like screwing around with male plants. I've ran alot of different seed company fem products. I usually get the higher end ones and usually have good results. I don't clone either so Femished seeds is really all I will buy expect kali.mist. I've started running fem seeds as soon as dutch passion released there fem line

G

Here here on the femmed seeds. In a few years, standard seeds will be special order seeds. I love the fems and after growing a dozen strains or more, I cant find anything negative to say about them. Never a hermie, more consistency, garaunteed sexual espression, goodness what is there not to like?

Ps. ..and ive cloned and cloned and mothered fems and have done everything you can do to them including reveg and put simply, keep a stable enviroment and you will have exceptional results.

Last edited:
D

dankbudz

cktRAVEl said:
Feminized seeds are an asset to the cannabis community as long as they increase the variety of genetics and options available to the grower.

i dont see how femmed seeds increase the variety of genetics and options available to the grower. it actually limits it.

my opinion for right now i dont care at all. i wont care as long as it doesnt have a negative effect on the plants. its too early to tell if the chemicals the breeders use damages the genetic structure of the plant.

but all in all the only growers i see enjoying these are newbie growers(not knocking anyone) who dont want males in the mix. which IMO limits the experince of growing. weeding males is part of the game...but if it floats your boat sail away

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
yeah whatever bro I've ran Dutch Passion Fem seeds since they first came out in 2000 or 2001(newbies ass). I was growing when you were still in your daddys nuts bro. What the hell is fem seeds limits the experience ....WTF? Man some people don't like wasting(ocean forest) dirt and fertilizer and space. I don't see why anyone would knock GOOD fem seeds(I'm not backing crap fem seeds). I'm not saying I don't run standard seeds and I'm not knocking standard seeds by any meens(I still run some standard seeds). All I'm saying is I like Fem seeds better lol. Dankbudz...calling growers that like Fem seeds Newbies LOL WTF?

Last edited:

ConceptOfSleep

I can see where Dank-Budz is coming from... Most folks I know who are attracted to Fem beans are newer growers...no insults intended, just what I have noticed.

That being said, I am always on the search for keepers and moms...Since I clone and LOVE to pollen chuck my own crosses, standard beans are the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Once I can find a killer male, and a killer female from a pack of seeds, I am set on making F2s and Crosses for myself and friends. That keeps me from having to keep buying packs of the same seeds over and over again. It also allows me to dig much further into the genetic pool for each variety and experience the full range of phenotypical variation that expresses itself in succeding generations. I guess I have dreams of novice breeding...Its just something that I enjoy. This is something the seed companies (at least those who produce ONLY or predominantly Fem Beans) dont want you to do, they want me coming back crop after crop buying more Feminized beans. This saves me money and at the same time allows me to further understand this great plant of ours while offering me a new take on my hobby by allowing me to create my own crosses.

That being said, I don't quite understand the OP's assertion that there is a "sudden" unflux of Feminized seeds... They have been around for quite some time, however I think many growers who have the same ambitions that I do have no interest in these seeds.

Just my $.02
:joint:

D

dankbudz

all you gotta do is post your opinion here and some people automatically get pissed....i mean literally but hurt about it and then start throwing out childish comments. i have never got that.

come on bro name calling just shows your age and your maturity level.

but anyways stick to growing your DP and GHS fem seeds.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
LOL you must be a breeder who don't sell(or can't make quality Fem seeds). You started throwing shit....so don't get mad when you get a rude reply. When you post rude shit about people I can get rude too. I'd guarantee you haven't even grew a femished seed. You said there's a sudden influx of fem seeds. LOL LOL Fem seeds have been around for at least 7 or 8 years. Where have you been?

but anyways stick to growing your males

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it's for one thing, to weed out the bad breeders, I know who to stay away from now.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
medical_shed said:
There wont be any fing breeding without males you numpty.
I not know what fing. What are you talking about man(1 too many)lol. Do you know english? I said I've ran standard seeds and respect people who do. You think I don't know males are needed for breeding(what a D.A)? I just said I like fem seeds for my grow. I don't need maled because I have the money to go buy the fem seeds. I'm not a tightass. As this thread has obvisously got off topic and attracted a lower class...I will not be back on this thread you guys have at it. Sorry I ever posted

Last edited:
G

I dont want to leave any readers with the idea that femmed seeds are inferior or that the only people growing them are newbs. I grew my first crop in 1970. I was an experienced grower when sensi seeds first appeared on the scene and every breeder with a site on IC mag is a newb from my vantage point. Although i must say that some of the newbs, Paradise, serious seeds, Joey and others are very talented, they certainly lack growing experience with cannabis in so many area's from my perspective.

For 40 years, one of my primary growing goals has been to avoid males, seeds and fertilization. Almost 40% of the workload of a grow is centered around growing and expelling male plants. I would be stupid not to eliminate that wasted effort so as to focus my attention on activities that result in increased production.

Finally, I would suggest just the opposite of dankdudz. Experienced growers will be attracted to femmed seeds due to their tendency to reduce the workload in relation to harvest and because they understand the nature of the plant and its photoperiod and enviromental requirements, they are likely to have excellent results with the fems while the newb grower will have the usual problems from germination to hermaphroditism.

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also think that fem seeds are a godsend to the experienced grower.
silverback has a few years on me, but I too have been at this thing for a long time. Most of my adventures are from the closet, but had I had the pleasure of being able to get femmed seeds, I would have started outdoors decades ago.

Sam is the only one that I know of that brings up the question of whether we are making a mistake by not using the male of a strain, as it could mean that some needed genes are not being passed on. But that is still up for debate.
Other than that, the only thing I see as being a problem with fem seeds is the breeder themselves.
NOTHING BUT A TRUE BREEDING FEMALE should be used to make fem seeds.
Using something with hermie traits in it is the only way to pass on hermie traits.
If an inferior female is used, even though the female puts out some of the best weed on the planet...it is completely irresponsible for that breeder to pass on those seeds to anyone at all. They should be kept as private stock and nothing more. But tell that to some pollen chucking asshole who thinks he is part of the famous breeding community...when he is nothing more than some clandestine, self-appointed asshole who wants to have a name.

BTW...when we see "light stress" used it doesn't mean that very little stress was used, they are talking about light...as in lumens. Chemicals are not always needed to stress a fem to form stamina structure. Although, IMO, those that light stress easy are probably herm prone to begin with. But, that's just moi.

If a true breeding female is used to stress, how could that possibly pass on hermies? But, how many are taking the much needed time and effort to select a true breeder?

ConceptOfSleep

wvkindbud38 said:
I not know what fing. What are you talking about man(1 too many)lol. Do you know english? I said I've ran standard seeds and respect people who do. You think I don't know males are needed for breeding(what a D.A)? I just said I like fem seeds for my grow. I don't need maled because I have the money to go buy the fem seeds. I'm not a tightass. As this thread has obvisously got off topic and attracted a lower class...I will not be back on this thread you guys have at it. Sorry I ever posted

Dude...you need to calm down.

Dank never really was rude in his post... he said the word "Newb" and you got all defensive. He expressed his opinion and never directly attacked you...However you were quick to attack him. Overreacting a bit???:spank:

This thread hasn't attracted a "lower class", just people expressing their opinions... Kinda sad that you think people who dont agree with your opinion are a "lower class":confused: Oh BTW, when he said "fing" he means "fucking"... He was trying to keep his post clean i guess by saying "F'ing". Just internet speak. As for you having the money for buying new seeds every grow, thats fine...But it doesn't make the rest of us "tightasses". Some of us think that it is unnecessary to do so for EVERY crop from seed. No-one was directly attacking you or your choice of Fem Beans...Others have made that same statement of opinion and no-one else felt attacked besides you. Sorry for the rant but, WVKind's comments are more than unnecessary, and the thread was taken off track by him.

Anyway, all that aside, you dont make your own seeds and thats fine, so I guess you dont need males. I can understand that, but I agree with Sam's line of thinking that by excluding males from the genetic pool, which has become more common as more people use Feminized seeds, we are losing important parts of the genetic make-up of some strains. Im not saying Sam's point has been proven, I just happen to agree with him.

I also agree with HossierDaddy about Fem beans being a great asset for those who grow outdoors. If I had the freedom to run crops outdoors I would more than likely run from clone or feminized beans thats for sure.

:joint:

Last edited:
M

mexilandrace

Ya I gotta say I never even thought about femmed seeds before, but I do see the benefits to an outdoor grower now.

I always think in terms of breeding, and then in terms of clones because that's what I do inside.

Latest posts

Latest posts