What's new

new micro box - open to suggestions

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
hey there. i decided it was about time to upgrade the old box for the winter time. i needed something a little bigger with a little more light so i decided to build this

built out of 5/8s plywood, its roughly 2 ft wide. 30 inch tall and 16 inches deep. painted flat white. i painted all my pannels before assembling them . id highly recomend it, makes it alot easier than when its all together. a couple hinges, weather stripping and a padlock and shes good to go

i plan on using red greenerys light chamber design. ill keep all the heat from the light away from the plants which was a problem with my last design. i still need to get the glass but that will come. im going to run it and see if its really even necessary. ive got an old pc hooked up to a 12v adapter for exhaust. i have yet to decide what to use for the passive intake in the light chamber. im looking for some ideas here... i do want the box to be kinda stealth so im not so interested in using 4 inch ducts. ive seen some nice Darkroom Louvers here on IC but not sure where to pick one up. ive also heard mixed reviews on them. thinking about trying to fit a 90 degree elbow inside the chamber, might be tight

as far at the lighting goes, for now i have a 4 bulb vanity fixture wired to a light duty extension cord. im a little sktechy on elecricity... 4 42w cfls in there for now. im considering sticking in one of those y socket plug in adapter things infront of the strip if ive got the room for extra wattage. ( another reason i want to stay away from the pipe elbow inside)

as for the growing area. i figure its about 22inches total. should serve me well. i stole another great idea from redgreenery with his passive intake design down there. this will also be exasuted by a 90mm pc fan

i know ill think of more to add. im still in the building process so im very open to suggestions to make by box better in the long run. now on with the comments

edit.

Last edited:

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
thanks guys

im planning mainly on lst over a scrog la resistance. i like your light trap design. im thinking of making something similar of wood. i went to the store toniight planning on picking up a couple 4 in elbows but they are alot bigger than i was expecting...

i got a bit more work done on the new box. with some pics too

i germed and planted a few bagseed

so i got a couple 2 inch elbows but im not sure that there going to be quite light proof. caulking everything up real good. another thing id recomend ( i learned the hard way, is install and silicone or caulk your light traps before you assemble everthing. nearly put my back out trying to contort to clean up the caulk)

so i guess ill go get another couple and install them on the outside. not the stealthiest but i guess itll have to do

still awaiting my new fans from ebay. gotta get some glass. and a but more light proofing and she should be good to go

dont be shy with the comments now

Last edited:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I like the setup, I wish I had that kind of height to work with. What wattage bulbs are those? If you decide you want more bulbs you could get some twin light sockets.
204625875.jpg

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
threeeleven said:
The box looks good! Can't wait to see some veggies in there!
thanks! me too.

i got my fans today. installed them aswell as one of those y sockets i had planned on. it fit quite nicely. all thats left now is to figure out the scrubber i need to build and get some sort of lightproofing for the exhaust venitlation

got 3 sprouts aswell:yes:

those are all 42 watters in there now. thanks for the suggestion wdi. ive got a few of those. i wasnt planning on using them right in the vanity fixture as i have it mounted horrizontally. i dont think theyd even fit in. i was thinking about drilling a hole in the top infront of the 4 lights and hanging that with another 2 42's if i decide i need the extra light

Last edited:
G

Very nice box.I just got some plexiglass from lowes it was pretty cheap

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
so i got it up and running tonight with the 4 42s in there. i tried wiring my fans both in series and parallel but both ways seemed to run at half speed, not sure what im doing wrong. but that sort of besides the point now. i ran it for a few hours and the temps only reached 75 with one fan running at full speed which was a little noisy. so im thinking ill scrap the idea of separating the lights from the plants. and mess around with differnt adapters till its not too loud but still keeps it cool

i drilled in some holes for adjustable shelving aswell in 3inch incraments. you can see light through the one ply of plywood but i figure ill glue some dowels in and that should go the trick

let me know what ya think!

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
so i think shes about set for the long run. all i have to do now is figure out what my venitlation going to be. looking for some input here... with my one fan running without any obstructions the temps are staying at 77. im thinking ill need some kind of scrubber later once my plants start flowering. so do i go ahead with the separate light and plant chambers having the plants exhausted through the scrubber. or stick with one fan one chamber hooked to the scrubber?

cant up load any pics at the moment. god damn

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Here's the scrubber I use to filter both of my Panopticabs...
Works perfect.

Red_Greenery said:
Carbon Air Filter

My air filter uses two Sterilite containers. The small one must fit inside the large one.

The bottom is cut out of the small tub, I left a small rib in the center to support the screening.
Glue the window screen in place with the epoxy.

The lid of the large box is cut so that the small box with fit into it.

Intake holes are cut into the large box and the dryer adapters are fitted onto it. You can just duct tape it to the side if you don't have the adapters. This is probably the first time that duct tape is actually used for it's intended purpose. The flap is removed from the dryer adapter and I use a hack saw to trim off the pipe on one side.

A computer fan and a dryer hose adapter is fitted onto the lid of the small box.

When the filter is all assembled, I take silicone caulking and seal up crack where the small box goes into the large box lid.

My setup uses 1/2 lb of activated charcoal for a filter depth of 1" that I buy at the pet store. The 1" layer is good for the whole grow.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
got any pics of it all set up panop? id love to see em

so the fan is pulling air throught the carbon?

i have and exhaust fan already mounted on the inside of my box pushing out. could i use that design with the fan blowing thgouh the dryer hose into a single hole in the large box pusing the air through the carbong in the small box?
edit. or should i use 2 fans...?

Last edited:

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
I have a quick question about this photo...

bongasaurus said:

Does that shelf have holes drilled in it? If not, you should consider how you are going to get the fresh air from your intake, to your exhaust vent...
I've seen wire shelving that you can cut to size and will fit on your wall pegs...

A FEW MINUTES LATER...

Whoops... I saw your hole in the back of the shelf. My bad...
Still, think about the wire shelving for maximum airflow...

Last edited:

megatrom

very nice work! nice and clean. Are you going to flower in this box too? If so I would venture to say you can use more light later on. I think the rule of thumb for cfl's is 150 watts per square. You could even go with a 150watt hps, and save yerself some money on both bulbs and electric. Just a thought.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
heh heh, yeah panop, theres a hole the same size at the one in the bottom of my shelf, which i still have to paint white. after running it with the 4 42's the highest temp i got was 75 so i think ill stick with my wood shelf, nice'n sturdy. ive only got 3 on at the moment for my seedlings keeping it around 68 - 70 degrees

thanks megatrom. thats the plan. seed to bud. if ya see that y socket mounted in the top there, i plan on sticking in another 2 42's once i flower for 252w in about 2.7 sq ft box. ill probably do a run, see what i get, then consider upgrading to a hps. thanks for the input!

Last edited:

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
As per your request, here's my scrubber...

I built it closely following Red's directions, and it clears the stank out of both of my cabs, with no issue...

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
thanks for the pics panop.

just to make sure i got things straight... that scrubber is for both of your cabs? is there an exhaust fan blowing into the dryer hose out of the box and another fan in the scrubber pulling aswell? thanks

ill try again with some pics, there really growing after a week now. if i havent mentioned, im growing in promix with some extra perlite and a touch of sheep manure. im seeing lots of purple on these little guys already

Latest posts

Latest posts