What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You are given a lump sum of $25,000. What would you do?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It's not even the deposit for a starter home. I couldn't do anything useful with just $25,000

St. Phatty

Pay off the HELOC.

Keep buying lottery tickets in low-population states, when the situation is at or above a positive payout.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
With a windfall like that, put it to good use!

I'm only interested in property. It doubles in value every 12 years. Rental income pays for a property in 12 years. So your 25k share of a house, pays your 25k back, and becomes worth 50k in 12 years. So 25 becomes 75. Though there will be costs, and erosion caused by inflation. It's still 10% growth per year. Which you need not manage yourself.

Lets say you put that 25 in, and get your 75 back. With that, buy 3 more units. That 12 years later becomes 9 units. Roughly speaking, your 25k becomes a 25k yearly income after 25 years.

Or I could buy a vw golf(rabbit), that lasts on average 12 years.

I know where I would rather be in 12 years.

White Beard

It's not even the deposit for a starter home. I couldn't do anything useful with just $25,000
I just turned down a well-outfitted tour bus in good condition (low miles, too) for lack of $11k. If you can’t do anything useful w/$25k, maybe you’re not really trying.

Whoops - read your follow-up...yeah, that’s a choice - but I’d rather be a pimp than a landlord.

F

Frylock

I would get some dental work, buy 1 Bitcoin and go for a roadtrip somewhere.... 25k all gone....

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
I'd buy a piece of land, and build a microhome. Also build a couple growsheds with fluence Led. Start a micro propagation setup for breeding hazes, and landrace. Then bless those in the community.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Turn it into $50 K then $100k and so on and so forth, ,
Best of luck,,,s2