What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yellowing leaves while flowering? Correct the problem with a high N food.

Old Uncle Ben

However anyone who’s grown under lights with untrimmed plants has seen lower leaves die off from lack of light.
Not me. Witness my avatar. I took that just minutes before the chop. Healthy leaves all the way to the bottom. It's in a 3 gallon pot sitting on my dining room table. Was crammed in with its sistas under HID's late 90's.

No, too often folks losing lower leaves are using this as their excuse because they don't have the skill set to retain healthy productive leaves up to harvest. They need to stop following internet bro rubbish and learn what makes a plant tick.

Uncle Ben

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

Tell you what I’ll do. Next month I’ll start 4 clones off in the same tent. I’ll leave one as is, and do different pruning techniques on the other 3. When one of the pruned plants has the highest yield, I’m curious as to your explanation.

Old Uncle Ben

Bugbee, about 18 minutes in, states that topping. pruning, de-foliating "won't increase yield". He notes that it's just for the ease of harvest, lower labor costs, and to help remove excess RH inducing disease pressures.

One man's opinion......

Here’s a trick, pure indica, Tom Hill’s Monkey Balls (Deep Chunk F2). This is another indica that’s a bear to pinpoint when to harvest. Took this shot this morn - it is covered with a very fruity, bubble gum smelling resin albeit no long pistils to speak of and you’d have to have a 1,000X microscope to see inside the trichomes. Been in 12/12 for 7 weeks. Think I’m going to do the chop this weekend.

The shaded buds are not thin and are covered with resin. Plant is just pure goo. :D

MonkeyBalls7WeeksMay18.jpg

MonkeyBalls7WeeksMay18#2.jpg

MonkeyBalls7WeeksMay18#3.jpg

MonkeyBalls7WeeksMay18#4.jpg

UB

Old Uncle Ben

Tell you what I’ll do. Next month I’ll start 4 clones off in the same tent. I’ll leave one as is, and do different pruning techniques on the other 3. When one of the pruned plants has the highest yield, I’m curious as to your explanation.

Thanks for the kind thoughts but again that would be anecdotal. Everyone has their style.

I am so engrained in botany and the function of plant parts, how they relate and such that I'm not going to change. For starts, cannabis is a VERY small part of my gardening interests these days. My focus is and has been my wine grape vineyard (pest control), greenhouse grown tropical fruit trees, veggie garden and babying the newly installed St. Augustine turf a crew just did in the back yard.

Uncle Ben

Old Uncle Ben

After harvesting this little lady March 26, 3.3 oz. of some fine nuggets, I re-vegged and grew it back along with the Monkey Balls. Is doing quite well, check out the interesting anthocyanins in those leaves. It's about a week from harvest.

Cannacopia Lapis Mtn. indica re-veg - fantastic high, laughing gas type of high, not couch lock....just nice and smooth.

Cann Deep Chunk Re-VegMay18.jpg

Cann Deep Chunk Re-VegMay18#2.jpg

Uncle Ben

Old Uncle Ben

Harvested the Tom Hill Monkey Balls yesterday. Rather than re-posting it all I hope admin doesn't mind me linking to a OG post. Am real happy with the yield, color, VERY strong fruity but skunky aroma. It's just pure gummy goo too, black resin on the scissors and fingers like charas.

Dry yield should go a good 4+ oz. for this little 21" tall plant. Even the lower colas/buds were chunky. https://overgrow.com/t/doing-the-root-pruning-thing-again-this-time-with-microkote/98490/94

MonkeyBallsHarvestMay21.jpg

MonkeyBallsHarvestMay21#6.jpg

Being that there's plenty of green healthy leaves left (a good thing)..... was thinking about re-vegging this like I did with my Lapis Mtn. indica. Nah, think had/have enough for now.

Picked off about a dozen or so yellow fan leaves the last few weeks. Plant has been watered with rain water only lately.

Will pop the lady out of the pot to see how effective the MicroKote was regarding root pruning (increasing root mass 5X).

Uncle Ben

Hiddenjems

8.4 oz of sticky bud on that little plant.
That’s all it comes down to.

With some strains I’ve found that no matter what you do, they yield about the same. Others that won’t yield for shit inside if you don’t top them or at least bend them over.

I get people asking me what to do differently with their setup all the time locally. First thing I ask is if it’s doing ok now, followed with a little don’t fuck up a good thing speech.

Do you compare wet vs dry weights? I get some pretty useful data on when to harvest using that and some other data. If I have a big monocrop and harvest a little at a time I can tell when resin production is falling off, and combined with other data, when they stop eating. I use that data for the next run if that clone.

One I gave up on was a blueberry cut that smelled like straight blueberry muffins up until week 7ish. You could harvest it then and it smelled and tasted amazing, but lacked some potency. Take it longer and the yield goes way up but the smell and taste go from a bright berry to darker funkier smells and tastes. The potency gets great too.

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

I didn't do a wet vs dry weight on this one. The 8.4 oz. is dry weight. Am quite impressed. Even the lower colas were chunky, including those totally shaded.

The "Monkey Balls" is a Deep Chunk variety, F2 whatever that means LOL. Been quite a challenge regarding when to call it finished. Not hard to grow, very easy in fact. All I did was upcan to a MicroKote treated 2.5 gal. pot fed with a small handful of Osmocote, rainwatered, grew, harvested. Trichomes are extremely small compared to the pure sativas and mutts I'm used to growing and the pistils are extremely short. Plant is so full of leaves stacked on top of each other looks like somebody took a shoe to it and squished it. I expect a very smooth, potent smoke.

People screw around with their setup because they're either a vet trying something new or a noob who doesn't know how, when or where....so they throw any and all at it hoping something "sticks". Been doing this forum ditty for many many years and it never ceases to amaze me how difficult some just have to make it, especially when it comes to measuring or buying this that and the other. Less is more. I probably spent all of 10 cents on fertilizer (Osmocote).

I'm a ROOTS guy, period. I have mastered root production whether it be a vineyard, turf, veggies, tropical fruit trees, cannabis, etc. Stoners don't get that either. Bro science is their comfort zone, not botany. I use a lot of the RootMaker products. Here's an old ditty I did with Griffin's. https://mycotopia.net/HTFaq/1321.htm

You insure a robust root mass and you'll get to where you want to go. Here's the results of the MicroKote treatment recently. Worked as expected. No spin-out, extremely dense fibrous mass. Can you say efficient? I knew you could. ;) I had to beat the rootball with a shovel to knock off the soil so I could show off the root mass and make my point. That's a producing mango tree in the background.

MicroKoteRootsMay2023#3.jpg
MicroKoteRootsMay2023#4.jpg
MicroKoteRootsMay2023#5.jpg

I plug up the drain holes with cypress mulch.

I've heard disappointing comments about the potency of Blueberry. That's an oldie FWIW. I got one Blueberry by mistake when I ordered Dutch seeds 23 years ago thru a guy called Jock. Speaking of blue, I will be harvesting a re-vegged Lapis Mtn. indica soon. Leaves have those weird colors to them, anthocyanins. May 22:

LapisMtnReVegMay22#2.jpg

Happy Memorial Day,
Uncle Ben

Attachments

• MicroKoteRootsMay2023.jpg
    MicroKoteRootsMay2023.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • MicroKoteRootsMay2023#2.jpg
    MicroKoteRootsMay2023#2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Nannymouse

What medium do you prefer, Uncle Ben? Maybe you mentioned that, and i missed it.

I'm tempted to start my peppers (since i'm not growing Cannabis) in perlite with the Osmocote Plus. If i can keep everything that simple and lightweight, and get some practice for when i CAN grow again, at least that will keep me occupied and learning. I was planning on doing a 'hempy bucket' style, but that needs daily attention with the perlite, so still considering other mediums. I do have RO water, but the tap water is very high in pH, as is the soil around here. Also, will be learning to use the tent and have newer led's (am used to blurples).

As for mediums, the reasoning with the perlite, is that it is consistent. We never know what other mediums will be available locally (except maybe miracle grow) or how many bugs it will contain. Also seriously considering using pumice.

What's your take on all this?

Old Uncle Ben

What medium do you prefer, Uncle Ben? Maybe you mentioned that, and i missed it.

I'm tempted to start my peppers (since i'm not growing Cannabis) in perlite with the Osmocote Plus. If i can keep everything that simple and lightweight, and get some practice for when i CAN grow again, at least that will keep me occupied and learning. I was planning on doing a 'hempy bucket' style, but that needs daily attention with the perlite, so still considering other mediums. I do have RO water, but the tap water is very high in pH, as is the soil around here. Also, will be learning to use the tent and have newer led's (am used to blurples).

As for mediums, the reasoning with the perlite, is that it is consistent. We never know what other mediums will be available locally (except maybe miracle grow) or how many bugs it will contain. Also seriously considering using pumice.

What's your take on all this?

You're probably not gonna like my answer - I mix together whatever I have on hand - builder's sand, pine bark, compost, peat moss, coarse A3 vermiculite, about a 50/50 inorganics/organics blend. I buy the BM7 but the bastards more than doubled their price last spring. I get it and a big bag of vermiculite shipped free using one of their frequent free shipping promos, assuming you're in the States. https://www.amleo.com/berger-bm7-bark-mix-3-cu-ft/p/BM7-P

I don't like perlite. Don't like the dust and it's fragile, breaks down via handling and shipping. Most nurserymen get by with nothing more than a 4-1 mix of pine bark fines and sand. No need to spend a lot of money or get all worked up about it.

If I have it I drop a quart of horse nuggets, alfalfa meal in a bucket of water and use the slurry to wet down the mix for the triacontanol it contributes, 3rd pic. Look that one up. I also throw in some gypsum, blood and bone meal. I don't bother to measure.

Vermiculite#2.jpg
Soil.jpg

Soil Dec 25#2.jpg

Soil Dec 25.jpg

I love my ViparSpectra KS5000. Got it on a sale. The ability to be able to place the detached driver outside of the grow area is a big plus. Built like a tank too. Easy to hang, folds for easy storage.

Good luck,
UB

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
She looked pretty green. But maybe switch up to nutrients more suitable for marijuana growing. I stay away from MG, oscomote and stuff you find at Walmart etc more suitable for bushes and flowers. Fox Farm Grow, get some Open Seasame, Beastie Bloomz. But you definitely wanna flush out your plant in the end and see those yellow leaves and get that fertilizer and salt buildup outta your plants. But everyone has there way of doing things. Keep you a tester plant and try some different techniques and maybe you can hit on something!!!

Kimes

Would appreciate if someone could point me towards info on diy copper paint like MikroKote, ordering pretty much anything from USA to EU is a customs nightmare these days.. Thx

Old Uncle Ben

Would appreciate if someone could point me towards info on diy copper paint like MikroKote, ordering pretty much anything from USA to EU is a customs nightmare these days.. Thx

You'll have to make your own, reply #6. https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3239.0

Or.....use any system that uses air/light to terminate the root tips like RootMaker or quality fabric pots that are *designed* to root prune. Not all are.

UB

Last edited:

Nannymouse

Yes, we are in the usa. I'm not growing Cannabis right now, so this is just for educational purposes, ha.

I was under the impression that science has determined that 'salts' and/or other 'nutes' cannot be flushed out of a plant. When a plant dies, it loses chlorophyl and water, with the last of the sugars having been converted...but stuff stays in there. (like how gold is sucked up by cane plants, but goes no where when the plant dies, or like cannabis picking up radiation particles out of the environment) I could be wrong, it has happened before. Would love to see the science on that. There's so much stoner 'wives tales' out there, it's hard to tell what is the truth. I've started looking into the 'living soil' agriculture methods and those of the ancient 'sustainable' farmers, like the korean methods.

I've also wondered how much of those 'nutes' are in the trichomes, compared to the rest of the plant material. I like the idea of dry sift, because maybe a person can avoid a lot of the nasties that got over fed in the plant.

As far as medium goes, i've sort of done like you do, this and that, with what is available. We are definitely NOT in pine bark area, sand isn't that easy to get, either. Bro just mentioned that he found some sand locally, and got a bunch to dump on his garden. Otherwise, it's buy stuff by the bag.

Once, i grew a white rhino in mostly lava rock. THAT was some of the best smoke...so soft and creamy. I dunno if it was the rhino itself, or the rock. And that's just it. When dorking around with 'this and that', i never really know what did what, so was looking for some consistency with something that would be available. Perlite is available, but it is expensive, and it does have all those negatives.

Figured that if i get pumice, it would hold together for a much longer time than perlite, maybe be easier to work with than lava rock.

Hey, thanks for the detailed answer, i will be on the lookout for pinebark.

Old Uncle Ben

Yes, we are in the usa. I'm not growing Cannabis right now, so this is just for educational purposes, ha.

I was under the impression that science has determined that 'salts' and/or other 'nutes' cannot be flushed out of a plant. When a plant dies, it loses chlorophyl and water, with the last of the sugars having been converted...but stuff stays in there. (like how gold is sucked up by cane plants, but goes no where when the plant dies, or like cannabis picking up radiation particles out of the environment) I could be wrong, it has happened before. Would love to see the science on that. There's so much stoner 'wives tales' out there, it's hard to tell what is the truth. I've started looking into the 'living soil' agriculture methods and those of the ancient 'sustainable' farmers, like the korean methods.

I've also wondered how much of those 'nutes' are in the trichomes, compared to the rest of the plant material. I like the idea of dry sift, because maybe a person can avoid a lot of the nasties that got over fed in the plant.

As far as medium goes, i've sort of done like you do, this and that, with what is available. We are definitely NOT in pine bark area, sand isn't that easy to get, either. Bro just mentioned that he found some sand locally, and got a bunch to dump on his garden. Otherwise, it's buy stuff by the bag.

Once, i grew a white rhino in mostly lava rock. THAT was some of the best smoke...so soft and creamy. I dunno if it was the rhino itself, or the rock. And that's just it. When dorking around with 'this and that', i never really know what did what, so was looking for some consistency with something that would be available. Perlite is available, but it is expensive, and it does have all those negatives.

Figured that if i get pumice, it would hold together for a much longer time than perlite, maybe be easier to work with than lava rock.

Hey, thanks for the detailed answer, i will be on the lookout for pinebark.

Yep, folks love their bro science. It's their comfort zone.

Leafing is another farce that just won't die. There's justifications for it that rivals the best out there.

Latest posts

Latest posts