What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Starting my first grow

PersianChemist

Hey, I have my bubbler setup ready with hydroton as the media but I dont have any rockwool to let them grow a little bigger in.

I've driven to a few places and couldn't find any.

Are there any substitutes for it or could I place my seed with the little sprout straight into the hydroton and let it grow like that?

Also, I found 85 and 100 watt fluorex cfl's and was wondering if a few of those would be ok through the whole growing cycle.

Thanks

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
You could take a stack of small styrofoam cups, cut the bottoms off, poke a hole in them and use to hold your seedlings stable. I am low on rrooters myself and was thinking of just trying a seed in a styrofoam peanut, to see how the two play together. Rockwool is just insulation crap. If you can find some coco matt or basket liner..... look around the junk drawer, hehe.
H

Slezman

You could order it online. I think rockwool is good because if you ever have to move your pot, it helps keep the hydroton from shifting as much. At least if any root damage does occur it will be isolated to only the roots outside the rockwool . . As for the styrofoam the thing, it might not be the most stable media but it would probly work. However good technique + good media= more, better pot w/o as many headaches.

Hey there I have always had good success with a 50/50 mix of perlite/vermeculite. Just water with a light nute blend and they will be happy!

When transplant comes around you can just let the cups dry a little then take em out and clean em off and put em in the hydrotron.

I never liked RW, i grew with it once and I got mold, alge so no thank you :) just my 2 cents

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
Yeah, but it won't work in netpots :wink:

Yeah, you can get it at HD, Lowes or any home improvement store...it'll probably be cheaper to just get RW shipped though. Have you tried any hydro shops? You're not going to find RW at home improvement stores or most nurseries.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
MTF-Sandman said:
Fiberglass insulation works pretty well in a pinch...just compress it a little like RW.
didnt BOG do that ??? over on OG