What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wood Walls, Ceiling & Flooring for Dry Room?

CimbaKat

Anyone know the effects of this? Saw dust preserves produce longer , wood is more natural and breaths, tobacco dried/cured similarly. Any experiences? Feedback? Ideas?

I was thinking Birch or Pine.. for a 12x12 dry/storage cure room. I've been debating on storing the herb in wooden crates with sealed tops like a rubbed gauged lid or something, hinged and locked lid.

Just thinking of ways to not have plastic walls and glass jars with the more craft way or processing in mind.

CimbaKat

(I hate Turkey bags, cute buckets etc...) I'm cool with 64oz Mason jars but that may get obnoxious with a small commercial grow. That's why I'm thinking storage crates with airtight lids and walls.

side note, how do I edit posts on ICMag?

I wood

(I hate Turkey bags, cute buckets etc...) I'm cool with 64oz Mason jars but that may get obnoxious with a small commercial grow. That's why I'm thinking storage crates with airtight lids and walls.

side note, how do I edit posts on ICMag?

Sorry to bring bad news but wood crates would be extremely hard to keep airtight due to expansion and contration.
With your thought process you are close to reinventing the barrel.
Wood barrels rely on moisture to expand the wood within the metal rings to become and stay watertight. Kind of a moot point since not many people making barrels anymore except at museum shows or maybe a whiskey distillery.

Once you make 50 posts you can edit.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Interesting question. :D

Personally, I'm extremely sensitive to taste/smell and cannabis is extremely good at absorbing flavors/aromas. ;) I try to dry in areas where there are little to no odors or contaminates. Using wood, I'd have to pick materials which were completely neutral.

Tight tongue and groove fits will take care of the expansion/contraction issue easily. :tiphat:

Drewsif

I cure in a cedar cabinet in humid regions. Once it's good it goes into glass. Always a layer of plastic in between of course. Gotta let that moisture barrier do the heavy lifting. You wouldn't build a house without a moisture barrier, would you? Your house is made of pine, its a wooden box.

Everyone's afraid of plastic food bags but smoking unflushed plastic commercial snake oils. Ludacris.

Latest posts

Latest posts