What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wonderful World of Microcontrollers!

NS775

Welcome fellow DIYers! As much as I love the grow store... F&$% 'em! I refuse to pay so much for mediocre products! Hopefully through showing my little project I can help spark some collective brainpower and new ideas.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with embedded microcontrollers, but I know there are many who are not because I don't see many posts regarding this subject. To briefly sum it up, embedded microcontrollers provide a way to programmatically apply logic to the physical components of our grow areas. In more practical terms what this means is that by using a microcontroller and the plethora of available IC's out there we can do almost anything that needs to be done in your garden. This includes, but is not limited to...

-Turning appliances on/off
-Controlling the speed of things like a fan or pump
-Monitoring all sorts of data(temp, humidity, light levels, etc)
-Most importantly, reacting to data received from sensors (turn fan on when temp/humidity reaches a certain point)

Clearly a microcontroller is a powerful tool, but I know that many of you are scared off by the intricate details involved in electronics and/or programming. That is how I felt when I first got started (about a month ago), but in reality it doesn't have to be very complicated at all! Fortunately, there are solutions developed specifically to cut down the cost and learning curve.

Enter... the Arduino! The Arduino is an open-source, small but powerful, embedded microcontroller which can be programmed through a computer over a USB connection. Here is a good quote to summarize the Arduino...

"The goal of the Arduino project is to make tools available that are accessible, low-cost, low capital investment, flexible and easy-to-use for artists and hobbyists, particularly those who might not otherwise have access to more sophisticated controllers that require more complicated tools" (Wikipedia)

I won't go into to much detail on the specifics of the arduino. There are many good resources that already cover this. A good place to start is here or here. You really do not need to know much to get started with the Arduino, many of the sensors & add-ons have tutorials and guides available to help with most of the intricate details.

A basic overview of the process goes something like this. You plug the Arduino into your USB port, and then using the free Arduino software you upload code onto the unit. This code that gets uploaded is what controls input & output ports on the Arduino. So, if I plug a temperature sensor into the Arduino's input 1 and a relay plugged to output 1, the code I upload to it might look something like this...

1) Get temperature from temp sensor(Input 1)
2) If temperature greater than 80F or lower than 60F then
3) Turn fan (Output 1) on

This is psuedo code so it doesn't look exactly like this, but the above code gets the point across. The actual code for the arduino is based on C++ but the important thing to remember is that there are TONS of existing examples and libraries of code already out there; If you need to do something, someone else has probably already done it and posted a code example. Here is a good source for some of the sensors available for the Arduino, and the best thing about this retailer is that many of the sensors have guides/tutorials listed in the details section.

Now that you have a general Idea of how things work, I'll show you the system that I have been piecing together. Keep in mind, while I do have a background in programming I have only been doing the microcontroller thing for about a month....

attachment.php

The first thing in the picture above is the Arduino itself with USB cable still attached. To the right of the Arduino is a solderless breadboard (which is for testing & laying out a circuit before permanently mounting it). The highlight here is the little clear chip in the middle of the breadboard. Chips normally aren't clear, and the reason this one is, is because it is a light intensity sensor. This sensor will let me measure the exact output of my bulb so I can record the data over time and determine when the bulb needs changing. On the bottom of the picture you can see the ghetto reservoir level sensor. Its a simple toilet float arm attached to a potentiometer using plumbers epoxy putty. Simple, but effective, it gives a different resistance reading depending on the position of the float arm, which I measure with the Arduino of course.

attachment.php

Above is a $15 solenoid valve, sourced off of ebay, attached to a 5lb Co2 cylinder/regulator. The tank was left over from my beer brewing days.

attachment.php

Lots of stuff here... Top pic is a 3 socket enclosure, each socket is hooked to a relay which gets attached to the Arduino. You can see the relay board behind the sockets in the back of the enclosure. Coming out of the enclosure you have a 120V cord to power the sockets, 2 (red/white) +5V wires to power the relays and 3 (orange/orange/black) +5V wires to trigger each of the relays. This lets me turn on & off 3 appliances running on 120V. The relays are rated at 10A 240VAC, so they can handle a lot of juice, probably even enough for a 1kW HPS, but thats pushing it because you should always overrate your relays by a lot.
Below that is a REALLY ghetto light mover, constructed in about 90 mins using crap laying around the house. The main rail is a rail from a sliding closet door. The rollers are also from the donor door and they are attached to a block of wood which is also attached to a long threaded rod. The end of the threaded rod is plumbers epoxy puttied to a screwdriver bit which is inserted into an old screwdriver which had a bad battery but now runs off of an old 12V wall adapter, and the other end threads into a nut which is epoxied onto a L bracket screwed into the wood block light carrier.
The sliding door light mover works, and works well actually, but it is probably going to be scrapped for a circular light mover built out of the stepper motor and lazy susan bearing (Lowes).
The small chip is a driver board for the stepper motor so I just have to connect wires and I don't have to deal with all the electronics details of running a stepper motor.

attachment.php

Last but not least we have one of my many temperature probes. If you look closely, that is a pen cap with the end drilled out. In the end hole there is a small chip surrounded by hot glue. The chip is a simple 3-wire $4.25 temperature sensor. Inside the cap, the three wires coming off the chip are extended and sealed in hot glue to make the entire contraption waterproof.

So to sum it up, I now have the ability to monitor my light's output, multiple temperatures, my resevoir level, move my light around, control my Co2 release, control 3 120V outlets, and much much more to come! Most importantly, I can also record copious amounts of data about each grow cycle, the system is highly expandable and modifiable, and overall it cost much less than your average grow controller! Here are some of the prices, just to get an idea.

Arduino: $29.95
Relay: $2.74
Temp sensor: $4.25
Co2 Tank: $84.99
Co2 Regulator: $59.95
Co2 Solenoid: $13.99
Light Sensor: $5.95
Stepper Motor: $14.95
Stepper Motor Driver: $14.95

Any way you slice it; even if you don't want to get as complicated as I have, you could just use an Arduino & relays as a configurable timer for MUCH less than those expensive grow store units.

Phewww... that was a lot of typing! There's my $.02, anyone one else that has some experience with the Arduino please feel free to chime in and throw some ideas out there!

Attachments

• arduino_float.jpg
    arduino_float.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 44
  • co2_w_valve.jpg
    co2_w_valve.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 45
  • relay_mover_stepper.jpg
    relay_mover_stepper.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 48
  • temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 43

truckin

Looks like a great project, once i git a little more grow experience maybe I'll give it a try. I have a bit of electronic experience, but not with Arduino. Please keep us updated..

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Great stuff NS, really looking forward to seeing you get into this, Arduino seems to have made this all reasonably easy now, compared to the fun and games involved making it happen before.

NS775

Thx guys... should have everything put together and up n running soon. More pics n stuff to come.

Link to many different sensors & projects

Che

Veteran
I'm going to show this to my engineering friends, very cool find and maybe one day I will implement it :)

minttu

Yup, Arduino rocks! It's just so fricking easy to develop with and the price makes it affordable to use with any kinda project, big or small. I should get a bunch.

I'm currently developing and building an extensible control box around Arduino Duemilanove. Temp sensors, humidity sensor, moisture sensors, controlled power outlets, timers, etc, etc. All controllable and configurable using LCD or GUI running on PC. And the control logic on PC software - can't wait to get to program those! It's going to be very interesting to program all the knowledge into a program and to improve it on a regular basis.

Pretty much something similar to http://reefprojects.com/wiki/Build-phases but of course better :yappy:

So far I've got around 1000 lines of code in a form of a robust framework and some LCD and DS18B20 temp sensor code. 10kB of 32kB program memory used, so still plenty of room :)

Only if I had the time to build all the things I've got on my mind :D

O

ogatec

you need something to read co2 levels! i have no idea what to use, but it would be kickass...

bigcat39

you need something to read co2 levels! i have no idea what to use, but it would be kickass...
That would be... Arduino! I actually do this stuff (measurement and control) for a living..... and I'm going to do the co2 thing myself.... anyone tagging along?

Hephaestus

I'm in there :) Was reading something the other day (and forgot to bookmark it) about stealing sensors from CO detectors (cheap source) for CO2 monitoring...

bigcat39

OK, I'm gonna start a new thread for this project.... BTW, if anyone needs help with any measurement and control issues, PM me
Bigcat

leftkidney

I am a care taker for some medical marijuana patients and would like to set them up with something in there house that I dont have to maintain and could send me alerts via text or something like that if there is a problem - these people have debilitating illnesses like chrons and MS and many others that prevent them from being able to do this with any kinda regularity and have resulted in having to get a care taker to do it for them, I would like to be able to give these people there freedom back but I need a system that wont cost me $8000 or more a piece like some I have looked into do, but it has to do many things - some of the systems I have seen use 500MHz motorola CPU's or something proprietary like that and run some type of RTOS so its not that powerfull so I figured an Arduino should be able to handle this

a ppm and ph and temp and flow rate are a min - there also needs to be a way to do something about the data it gets, like if the ppm or ph is off then it will correct it through some "if then" statements or whatever as well as the temp and such

what I want to be able to do is setup a full automated grow system for people in need

Latest posts

Latest posts