What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will meanwell hlg-150h-24b power four Samsung 48 watt led strips effectively?

I ordered a kit with 4 Samsung light boards and it comes with a meanwell hlg-150h-24b driver. Is that driver big enough to effectively power all 4 strips? I tried to read up on constant voltage drives and how they are sized and how they work but im having a hard time wrapping my head around it. The way i understand it the hlg-150h-24b is not really big enough to power the strips at full power. Is that correct? If so is it dangerous to run these 4 led strips on this driver? I wouldn't think they would sell the kit matched this way if it was going to burn up but you never know. The strips are Samsung sun board lm561c S6 BIN 96 DIODE STRIPS rated at 44-48 watts at 1400-1800 mA. The meanwell hlg-150h-24b driver is rated at 6.3 amps and 24 volt dc output. So thats 151.2 watts the driver can account for but at 44-48 w per strip times 4 the strips are going to pull 176-192 watts. Am i understanding all this correctly or am i missing something. I want to say i understand what im reading but when it comes to electrical i would like to double and triple check with people who are knowledgeable on the subject. So long story short my question is: Is this combo of lights and driver dangerous to run? Or just under powered? Or is it both/neither?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The driver doesn't mind what it gets connected to, it will try and put 6.3a though it. So will fry 1 strip rapidly, or let a higher number of strips divide it's power between them. The LED's aren't the limiting component as your thinking. The driver is the limiter.

The driver doesn't mind what it gets connected to, it will try and put 6.3a though it. So will fry 1 strip rapidly, or let a higher number of strips divide it's power between them. The LED's aren't the limiting component as your thinking. The driver is the limiter.

So it's safe but not able to run the strips at full power?
Also would it really fry one strip if connected alone? I thought that a constant voltage driver powered the led at a constant voltage and varies the current based on the load tell the point that you put too much load on it and it switches to constant current mode and adjusts the voltage to compensate? Watched about an hour of videos on meanwell drivers ladt night. Still a bit confused on sizing drives for a load and how much over or under the drivers rating i can safely and efficiently go.

Last edited:

brickweeder

That driver will be fine...hook up your strips in parallel (4 legs). Doing this will give you 1.575 amps per strip (6.3/4), which is under the max current of 1.8. Just understand that if one strip goes out, the 6.3 amp will be split 3 ways, and each remaining strip will get 2.1 amps, which is likely to substantially shorten the lifespan of your remaining strips if not caught quickly enough.

It is safe to run at full power...your driver's output current will limit the max wattage of your light, so 1.575A * 4 strips * 23V = 144W (or 151W if the strip voltage drop is 24V instead of 23v).

That driver will be fine...hook up your strips in parallel (4 legs). Doing this will give you 1.575 amps per strip (6.3/4), which is under the max current of 1.8. Just understand that if one strip goes out, the 6.3 amp will be split 3 ways, and each remaining strip will get 2.1 amps, which is likely to substantially shorten the lifespan of your remaining strips if not caught quickly enough.

It is safe to run at full power...your driver's output current will limit the max wattage of your light, so 1.575A * 4 strips * 23V = 144W (or 151W if the strip voltage drop is 24V instead of 23v).

Thank you very much. That was super helpful.