What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will doing this to every branch give me higher quality nugs? or just reduce yield?

thedudefresco

Taking inspiration from Kyle Kushman's video here: https://youtu.be/XdfW2p-lHN0?t=883

I have set aside one of my plants and been experimenting.

I have an idea about why this technique might work indoors but be counterproductive outdoors, but I am going to learn by doing.

Still, I would appreciate thoughts/ideas from fellow OUTDOOR growers.

Check out this below video (current) where I demonstrate what exactly I mean by "removing nodes." I did this to each branch on this plant about one month ago. All the growth being removed in this clip is what has grown since then. Do any of you guys want to share your thoughts on whether or not I should proceed again doing this to each branch?
https://streamable.com/xwpcb6

Last edited:

HHILL

Not for outdoors, someone tried it once and didn’t go well. Think of each fan leaf as a solar factory, turning the available light into sugars which grow the plant and flowers. Outdoors, the light is as strong at the bottom as the top (not like indoors).

Also, the fan leaves act as stored nutrients as well, so if a plant needs certain elements, it will draw those elements from the fan leaves.

I will remove inner bud sites which produce larfy buds, but leave the fan leaves attached for the reasons I mentioned above. Seems to work the best for me.

Good luck and keep it green!

thedudefresco

Not for outdoors, someone tried it once and didn’t go well. Think of each fan leaf as a solar factory, turning the available light into sugars which grow the plant and flowers. Outdoors, the light is as strong at the bottom as the top (not like indoors).

Also, the fan leaves act as stored nutrients as well, so if a plant needs certain elements, it will draw those elements from the fan leaves.

I will remove inner bud sites which produce larfy buds, but leave the fan leaves attached for the reasons I mentioned above. Seems to work the best for me.

Good luck and keep it green!

Appreciate the response man.

What you are saying about fan leaves makes sense, and I have not been removing them for similar reasons.

What I'm curious about is the act of removing the nodes/budsites/which emerge between the leaves. Botanically speaking, I think I'm asking what results from removing all but the "terminal buds". I think what I am removing in the above clip could be defined as "axiliary buds."

zgpowmonkey

I tried the defoliation method before, and my plants grew buds the size of my forearm. However, I never grew that strain again so I have nothing to compare it against and that was indoors. Now, I have my girls outdoors and I have removed all but the 8 top branches and left all the fans where I removed growing tips/branches/nodes/whatever and cloned those. Just for grins, I stripped one plant down to just a few leaves on each branch, as described in another thread here "Defoliation-High Yield Method?" That plant has more flowers than any of the rest, although I have to admit this is an F1 cross of SourD/RomulanXGG#4 and could be down to gene expression. Not very scientific, I know but interesting nonetheless

thedudefresco

I'm so baked right now an incessant part of me keeps debating whether or not I'm gonna be rick rolled or replied darude sandstorm lol. I see the thread was "controversial" heheh

PDX Dopesmoker

Some people trim fan leaves off to get more sunlight into the inner bud sites on bigger plants, some people trim off the inner bud sites because they don't get enough sunlight.

.... the fan leaves act as stored nutrients as well, so if a plant needs certain elements, it will draw those elements from the fan leaves.

I will remove inner bud sites which produce larfy buds, but leave the fan leaves attached for the reasons I mentioned above....

Same here.

I will thin out my plants a bit right before and during early flowering. Mostly just clearing out the lower and inner portions of the plant. I remove any shoots/branches and bud-sites that won't be receiving much direct sunlight but I leave all the fan leaves intact.

I leave those intact for the same reasons mentioned above, they are essentially batteries/storage for the plant and also collect/produce energy.

Removing the inner/lower shoots & bud sites but leaving the fan leaves intact changes the ratio of "sources and sinks" . The same amount of potential "energy" within the plant is now focused on fewer bud-sites.