What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will autoflowers grow outdoors in winter?

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Will autoflowers grow outdoors in winter or is there too little light hours?
If they will I will buy some autoflower seeds and start them off in my shadehouse to replace the ones stolen by police a few months ago.

stiff

Veteran
Just extend the light hours if you can..thats how I grow through winter. Our winter is not too bad...minimum of -3⁰ at night and 20⁰ through the day. And they survive in my pots..last year I had 1m tall males on the Veranda when others hadn't even started their seeds.

I Care

Yes, but you don’t need auto-flower for this. You may be smart save those for the summer and run fems or regs for your winter crop.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Just extend the light hours if you can..thats how I grow through winter. Our winter is not too bad...minimum of -3⁰ at night and 20⁰ through the day. And they survive in my pots..last year I had 1m tall males on the Veranda when others hadn't even started their seeds.
How is extending the light hours supposed to work with an autoflower, they are not photoperiod plants?

Yes, but you don’t need auto-flower for this. You may be smart save those for the summer and run fems or regs for your winter crop.
How is this supposed to work when photoperiod plants need more than 12 hours of light to grow?

goingrey

Depends on how much light you get. I can't grow in out in the winter because it's freezing but not even on the windowsill because there's just not enough light and seedlings stretch out like spaghetti die and big plants just kinda stall. But elsewhere in the world it's possible.

How is extending the light hours supposed to work with an autoflower, they are not photoperiod plants?
DLI.. more light, more growth, more yield..

How is this supposed to work when photoperiod plants need more than 12 hours of light to grow?
Especially with sativa genetics they will still grow with short days, even after flowering has started.

stiff

Veteran
Thanks goingrey..thats what I tried to say about tue auto's. More light=bigger buds. That's why they grow them under 24h indoors.

Photos won't flower for the first 3-4 weeks,no matter what the light cycle is set to...they might grow lanky or funny in ways, but they usually dont start flowering. They need to reach maturity first

That's why I'd run the photos in winter or extend the light hours i f you do the automatics to get at least some bud

I Care

if you have no option to start indoor, @Frosty, then it doesn’t matter which you choose to be honest. You just don’t need an auto for winter applications. The difference between auto and photo is the dark period requirement.

Auto flowers will finish in 3-4-5 months no matter what hemisphere you’re in. They will grow then they will bud independent of dark hours.

Photos will flower sometime between the summer solstice and the following equinox based on hemisphere. If you start them with 12 dark they will grow straight from seed into a bud.

Latest posts

Latest posts