What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why go hyro organic?

Hi, I use hydro nft as I would not feel comfortable carrying bags of soil regulary in and out of a block of flats. Am currently using standard chemical fertiliser and the yield and potency are good but the taste can be lacking, does organic hyro give a better tasting crop? What are the differences?

Dreamscape

As far as I've been told ... the chemical TASTE is really the only down side of hydro (and maintainence) and that is why alot of people choose to go to organic soil ...

My assumption based upon the above is that the taste will certainly be better than chem ferted hydro. Will it be as good as organic soil ... I don't know but i'm sure its better than the chem ferts ...

The must be someone that has had experiance on this, I know this thread isn't "what are the best nutes in the world, strongest strain known to man etc but this is a genunine question

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
maybe i don't have the most cultured palate, but i beleive a good flush and slow cure is as important to taste and a smooth even burning joint as organic vs non.

As far as I've been told ... the chemical TASTE is really the only down side of hydro (and maintainence) and that is why alot of people choose to go to organic soil ...

Well, there's also the damage that can be done to the natural environment when flooded with refined nutrients. Thus, the topic takes on ethical concerns as well as product quality.

My assumption based upon the above is that the taste will certainly be better than chem ferted hydro. Will it be as good as organic soil ... I don't know but i'm sure its better than the chem ferts ...

A plant that is devoid of chem fertz is going to taste better than one that's saturated to the end. We all know that. However, a purely chemically-grown plant that's been flushed properly isn't necessarily a world of difference. The big advantage from organically-fed plants has to come from somewhere else...

My theory is that the millions of beneficial bacteria, protozoa, nematodes, arthropods, and fungi found in a healthy organic environment deliver a far more complete package of compounds than any synthetic concoction could hope to provide. Not surprisingly, a plant that is sustained by nature's diversity will generally be more resiliant, better resistant to stress, and won't need help from pesticides, sterilization, or other what not.

So... the real question becomes... how will a hydro plant grown with a complete food web compare to that optimized organic soil plant? I don't know, frankly, but I'm working on figuring it out right now! I know for sure, though, that I've gained all the "non-taste" advantages. Nothing ails my plants and I haven't sterilized anything in three years. :)

Btw, I do a combination of FloraNova (which is a blend of mined salts + organic compounds vs. the typical refined from petroleum products stuff) and traditional raw organic foods. FloraNova + EWC, kelp, fish hydrolysate, alfalfa, oatmeal, and molasses does the trick! The pure organics snobs say this can't be done, but they're delusionally close-minded and miss the whole point. :dance013:

opt1c

Veteran
differences for your setup... organic hydro nutes are less stable than chem based nutes... you can get major ph flux using organic nutes in a res... then with aero organic based nutes are much more likely to clog ur emitters or form compounds that will than chem based ones.

as far as taste and flavor go try adding floranectar to your regime or a similar carb loading product; carboload might work nice for u but i'd stay away from straight molasses as it tends to gunk up things

I've only seen decent organic grows in soil and coco; never anything else... but i'm always happy to see something new

:joint:

rrog

Veteran
I just harvested NL#5 using Organic Hydro. Same exact seeds were previously used in a chem drip system.

Still early but it looks like the yield is as good, but the quality seems better. It was a lot easier, I can say that much. And I like not having artificial chemicals in something I'm going to inhale.