What's new

Why can't I germinate a seed?

BobChronic6505

Thanks for the suggestions fellas I'm definitely going to have to make some changes when it comes to popping seeds. I also wonder a little bit that would I be having this problem if it was July? I wonder if the heat makes the process a little more forgivable....

44:86N

For sure man. I didnt realize it, but my floor is cold as fuck, even tho its 80 in the room

There you go!

Put 1/2" to 3/4" foam board down first, and the mat on top of that. I'm sure you will have much better luck.

That bottom heat makes all the difference. And you can keep your room temp a little lower, too!

GoatCheese

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions fellas I'm definitely going to have to make some changes when it comes to popping seeds. I also wonder a little bit that would I be having this problem if it was July? I wonder if the heat makes the process a little more forgivable....

Yes, colder room temp/climate is not good for germinating seeds or rooting cuttings, so you want to make sure you keep them warm enough. Cold and wet soil is bad for the plant no matter what age it is.

Good advice everybody. Ive found summer to be easier to pop seeds.probally the coldness is a germination problem. Try bagseed . sucks to lose seeds.but heat is defiantly needed to sprout.i try keeping my seeds cold then when time to germinate place in warm not extremely dry heat. I wait to transplant when my sprouts are still white from lack of light about 3 days after cracking . just dont give up

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
My heat mat. Perfect under plywood in my greenhouse in the spring.
fetch?id=17409800.jpg

GoatCheese

Veteran
I germinate my seeds in a moist paper towel after a 24h soak in a glass of water and during the colder seasons here in the North, i keep the glass/container with the moist paper towel in it in the slightly warm cupboard above my fridge or on the upper shelf in my grow cab where the grow light warms the shelf up abit; use any slightly warm dark places - temps around 26-28 C degrees; around the usual optimum for cannabis.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I just use my light as a heat source and have good luck maintaining the 80s while its on. Running a 20 hr light in the Winter keeps the soil warm enough for seed germination and super growth. In the Summer I use a 12/12 photoperiod for starting seeds for reduced heat. I've never used heating mates other than in greenhouses. Here is what I use for germinating seeds. I can do 20 cups per light easy😎

Attachments

• photo2064621.jpg
    photo2064621.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 58
  • photo2098420.jpg
    photo2098420.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 49

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here's how I have planted seeds for years.
Use dixie cups with 4 holes in the bottom.

Fill with quality soil mix and weigh the cup dry and write the dry weight on the side. . Don’t pack the soil.

Water it down until a little comes out the bottom then weigh the cup wet and write the wet weight on the cup. Both weights should be on the cup. Plant the seeds.

Maintain the max water weight for the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] 48 hours using a turkey baster by adding water if needed.

After 48 hrs cut the water and put them under fluorescents on a 12/12 light cycle sprouts or not. 20/4 in Winter for extra heat.

Leave them alone and when you see sprouts stop giving the plant water and allow the cups to dry to almost the dry weight and this will allow root growth. Use the water weight to tell when to add water again.

Attachments

• photo2063242.jpg
    photo2063242.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 39
  • photo2063244.jpg
    photo2063244.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 53

Teepi

Hi, im also quite new, but i've planted so far 9 seeds, out of those 9 i managed to get something growing from 5 seeds, what i do is, i put them in glass of water for min 12 hours, at about 12 hours i go gently poke them to see if they sink. Once they sink, i take 2 papertowels and fold them, i then place paper on plate, place the other paper on top of the seed, and another plate to seal them in, then place them in dark warm closet that's on top of our fridge. I only put them insoil once the root starts growing, i wait until it's about 3-5mm, then i place them in soil root pointing up, and only a few mm below soil, like 5mm, if you place them too deep in to soil, they might not have strength to come up. This is how i was teached to do this.