What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why Autos?

DRorganic

Veteran
I quite growing for a few years after a raid by the state. but I started growing again.can some one explain why is there so many Autos seeds now.i like regular Merijuana seeds .the seed makers do not want you finding the next Great pheno? I do not trust big business Thay wil take over and you will only get what Thay want you to have.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Auto seeds are marketed to new growers who don't want something too complex to grow so a plant who stay on 18/6 for all its cycle is a good selling point and they are extremely fast from seed to harvest another big plus for many growers who have only one grow space. Ease of use and fast cycle are what seduce growers but the lights are on 18/6 for all the cycle increasing the electricity cost.
The biggest plus of auto seeds for seed seller is the fact you can't clone them so growers must buy some seeds for each harvest. That's the main reason they is so much advertising for those seeds.
IMO the only situation where auto seeds are really useful is for outdoor grow where the season is not long enough for classic strains.

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
420giveaway
There are quite enough regular seeds available, so start making your own seeds...

Autos are great for garden/outdoor and window grows etc. So in warmer climates you are able to do 2 grows from spring to autumm, that's nice too.

Three Berries

I started with autos back in the day and quickly killed them. Just recently got some more and have a Bubba Kush auto going now at 2 months. I figure it makes use of the Veg tent when the photos are small and will grow in the dead of winter there instead of the flower tent. It gets too cold.

This current auto is my first grow in the ProMix BX. A lot different that the Fox Farm stuff!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah - I dont think that there is any conspiracy involved - autos are just easier for me on the balcony every summer - not knowing how the season will go in the UK - at least I know that they will finish - before it gets too cold - and they are shorter plants too - in a confined space - so easier to keep out of the gaze of other balconies/windows nearby - plus being feminized - so that I know that I will get buds and not pollen - and will not have to sex the plants helps heaps -

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
Autos are great for spots where light would interrupt flowering for Photoperiod plants. Underneath a Streetlamp, outside a window where lights are on at night, even in a Bedroom grow where you want to watch TV after the lights are off. Tons of Regular seeds available still. Check out ACE Seeds.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Autos are great for spots where light would interrupt flowering for Photoperiod plants. Underneath a Streetlamp, outside a window where lights are on at night, even in a Bedroom grow where you want to watch TV after the lights are off. Tons of Regular seeds available still. Check out ACE Seeds.
Yup - these autos just keep flowering on thru - no matter what light they are getting - currently enjoying very bright and hot days - a bit of a 'heatwave' - but its 4am now - nice and cool - and they are under quite a bright moon -

Attachments

• 20220813_040158.jpg
    20220813_040158.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
It's for outdoor people who have trouble finishing photoperiod plants.

In my outdoor area, wpm starts about the 2nd week of August. I fought with it for 3 years and gave in. I just harvested my outdoor autos this week.

Now to start my real grow inside . . . :rasta:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Obviously there's a benefit for the breeder selling auto fems. No mother plants, no seeds without silver. Repeat customers. If the seeds are good.

Everyone's gotta eat. :dunno:
The simpler growing cannabis gets - the more people will grow it - and my 3 year experience with a few modern examples of auto/fem's has been positive - I get their soil from under the apple tree outside my apartment - and water them from the tap - so it's really minimal stress growing them - and costs almost nothing - especially if someone gifts you the seeds in the first place - nothing worse than growing a healthy looking plant for a month or more - to find out that it is not a female - and would have to be culled - since the grower was only interested in sensimilla - and/or the plants never truly mature and often get mouldy before harvest - due to inclement weather - auto/fem's look to be purpose built for those that dont want any doubt in producing tokable buds - I'll agree that longer flowering regular seeds produce a more mature and often times tastier product - but that all takes more effort and time and risk getting the plants to full maturity - so the rewards are greater -

Last edited:

goingrey

The simpler growing cannabis gets - the more people will grow it - and my 3 year experience with a few modern examples of auto/fem's has been positive - I get their soil from under the apple tree outside my apartment - and water them from the tap - so it's really minimal stress growing them - and costs almost nothing - especially if someone gifts you the seeds in the first place - nothing worse than growing a healthy looking plant for a month or more - to find out that it is not a female - and would have to be culled - since the grower was only interested in sensimilla - and/or the plants never truly mature and often get mouldy before harvest - due to inclement weather - auto/fem's look to be purpose built for those that dont want any doubt in producing tokable buds - I'll agree that longer flowering regular seeds produce a more mature and often times tastier product - but that all takes more effort and time and risk getting the plants to full maturity - so the rewards are greater -
Oh yeah there's a time and a place for them for sure. Great product, glad they're available. And also glad they are not the only thing that's available...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Auto/Fems are particularly good when in the hands of a new grower - and that first growing experience is all important to encourage further experimentation with cultivation - good training seeds - makes the whole experience much simpler and less fraught with potential failures - before harvesting reasonably good cannabis - new growers get disenchanted with the idea of growing again - if they get mostly male plants - and/or the plants get mouldy or dont finish flowering properly -

pjlive

Auto/Fems are particularly good when in the hands of a new grower - and that first growing experience is all important to encourage further experimentation with cultivation - good training seeds - makes the whole experience much simpler and less fraught with potential failures - before harvesting reasonably good cannabis - new growers get disenchanted with the idea of growing again - if they get mostly male plants - and/or the plants get mouldy or dont finish flowering properly -
Absolutely. If nothing else, autoflowering strains provide an avenue of exploration that might otherwise be removed from new cannabis growers and those located in difficult to grow (to completion) in environments. They're also improving. At the very least it can be nice to have a plant that can be cranked out in three or four cycles during a given year. Especially if you can find a strain that suits your needs just like a photo would.

Currently, the only real gripe I see around autos is in the minds of cannabis growers. Just like many other things in life, many people reject something new or different from what they've been accustomed to for a long time. But, there's room for autos in the older school mindsets, too. Some will experiment with them, others wont.

Like their extended family photoperiod relatives, autoflower plants are cannabis too. 100% pure cannabis. And they have useful purposes for people around the world, too.

Latest posts

Latest posts