What's new

Why All The Red Hairs!!!!!

G

growit1234

I have done a couple of rounds with completely different genetics and every time my buds have a stupid amount of red hairs and don’t grow very tight. They aren’t exactly fluffy, but definitely not rock hard. Is it something I'm doing like temperature, light intensity, drying process, curing what???

Any help would be appreciated

i have a 430hps with the temperature around 80-90 day; 70 ish at night

G

What genetics have you been growing? what methods are you using for growing? Soil? Hydro? Nutrients? 90 degrees is a bit high for temps maybe try to lower them a bit, but until we have more details it's really hard to diagnose a problem....

give us details and photos and I'd b willing to be someone here could solve your problems...

G

Hmmm

Hmmm

Definately a contributing factor here would be temps!
Ideally you do NOT want to have more than 15-20 degrees of variation between your daytime temps and your nighttime temps.
If there's more than that (say your day temp is 90 and your night temp is 50 or 60 for instance) that would almost certainly give you airy, foofy buds! (as well as a "purple" color to the leaves in some cases)
I am not 100% on it, but I am also fairly certain it may play into the "Red Hairs" scenario as well, but again that could also very well be genetics alone.

Get yourself a min-max thermometer and check it after your night.
If you have a huge diff then you need to think about providing supplemental heating for your girls when the lights are off.
Good grows!

:abduct:

Re: Hmmm

Re: Hmmm

meduser said:
If there's more than that (say your day temp is 90 and your night temp is 50 or 60 for instance) that would almost certainly give you airy, foofy buds! (as well as a "purple" color to the leaves in some cases)
:abduct:

OMG, you just explained what's going on with my buds!
I'm sure that's it because I know there's a big diff in temp.

Thanks!

racketeer

Same here with the big air temp diff, and I always have fluffy buds... hmmmm.... I can't confirm on the red hairs though because depending on what I grow different hairs, just fluffiness

G

Hey Rack how did you add that dude at the bottom? That is awesome and lets everyone know how easy it is to find your info.

Glad mine is masked through ghostsurf

friendlyfriend

Veteran
MyBeans420 grew some Mr.Nice this year with Red pistils and it smoked mighty fine i might.... why red hairs..... why not blonde? its genetics and also most importantly enviroment... the two clones of a strain grown under two 400whps and another two clones grown under a 400w hps and 400w mh will most likely fully express phenotypical variation do to the light spectrum (according to DJ SHORTS) more than likely a big temperature swing or drought will also effect your final product as could many other factors... Troubleshooting is key..... My first 2 times growing bogglegum i was dissapointted.... but now on the 3rd attempt im sad i didnt take another clone! She is finally growing up to par!

Its all relative..... now our buddy Wallyduck grew some afghani with totally vibrant PINK pistils... Game Set Match !!!!

Infinite combinations Infinite diversity!

Last edited:
G

growit1234

I’m growing in soil, bog's method. I think the temperature is my issue. I am running a cool tube setup with a 400cfm fan in a 2.5' x 2.5' x 7' box and then I have an additional 140cfm fan blowing cool air into the box. I think if I add a “bus driver" style fan blowing air right at the hot spot under the light that will lower the day temps down to around 80

Any other Ideas about keeping temps down???

G

Fresh COOL air in, stale HOT air OUT!
Lots of circulation within the room/box!
Put an oscillating fan right in front of your COOL air intake.
Not sure what you mean by a cool tube setup? Does that mean HID or Fluoro lights?
If it's not HID's I can't see why the heat issues, but if it is, you need to upgrade substantially to cool a setup like that.
It's a very common problem, when folks try to place a hot HID light in a small box with any compensation for the heat.
The key is all the things I mention above.
Good grows!

G

putting light too close to the top of your plant can cause this as well... even if it isn't burning your plants, might see a little bleaching of the green to a lighter shade of yellowish green.... this is about as close to lightburn as you get without making your leaves crispy.

THC