What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whos got the best Afghan?

Hempy McNoodle

I'll be harvesting some in a few days!

IMG_20220502_122325708.jpg

rolandomota

If you have access to buying the new afghan seeds out their do it because they were only available for a short time
Then biden pulled out of Afghanistan and made it nearly impossible for new collections

I mean the dude that made these collection trips in Afghanistan is on Instagram and is growing and breeding also looking for new strains but I'm not sure how he's selling them I do know someone tried to make a fake scam account mimicking this guy and they robbed some people ...... that made indian landrace exchange to stop dealing with him on top of the main drama about a deal that went sour between irrazin ig (indian-landrace-exchange)and afghan landrace seeds on Instagram . According to afghan landrace seeds the guys from indian landrace exchange stole his genetics they sold they only bought the seeds for the book and promised to come back for more to sell retail packs but they just made a seed increase on their own its just a bunch of drama

Last edited:

GoatCheese

Veteran
I’m not sure, but i may have recommended Afghan Kush by World Of Seeds in this thread earlier but i have to change my view after i grew some of the Afghan Kush they sell nowadays.

...today it’s nothing like what it was when they first released it. Far as i’m concerned they really ruined the line.

Today many plants seem to have menthol smell on them while the seeds i bought 10 years ago had none of that. The menthol smell is quite strong on veg plants but on the buds it’s surprisingly weak. Potency and aromas have gone down the drain. Effects are worse too.

The first version i grew was unstable but there was some real gem hash plants to be found if you got lucky or grew enough seeds. Today it’s still unstable, with many different phenotypes, but now it’s just unstable crap.

Stay away. I’m not gonna grow them again.

GoatCheese

Veteran
The Mazar is also good. Nice kief hash
If you’re talking about Dutch Passion’s Mazar then it’s actually an Afghan-Skunk, not a pure Affie.

Does anybody know if Mazar was created out of Nevil’s Super Skunk or is it a Skunk-afghani DP created themselves?

p59teitel

I grew WOS Afghan Kush outdoors in pots in 2019. It grew quite well for me, but it’s clearly a very worked strain that can’t be considered in the same light as current strains from actual Afghan farmers.

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here’s one going around, making another batch, and have cuts of all the females.

AITR, (Afghan in the Raw)

I got mine from Ohso and he shared this:

Afghani in the Raw (Acquired in Pakistan on Indus River circa 1977 or 1978. Inbred for four generations, could possibly be (Afghani (Indus River, Pakistan) x Sensi Seeds Afghani #1) but I believe these are generational breeding on original Indus River beans)

CTG ..... Here's the rundown on the AITR :

Back in my younger daze (pun intended), I made a few runs up the Indus River, and I got to know a few growers,

who dealt hash. When the Russian's started ramping up to invade, I managed to get bulk (500 plus seeds), of this

unrefined Afghan seed stock from one of those fine fellows, with the agreement, I'd gift back in bulk, once that whole thing played out.

That was in late 1977 / early 1978, so these are Pre-Invasion Afghans.

Not wanting to narrow the line, I did open pollinations over the years.

The ones I shared here are (F-5's made in 2016), from seeds I cold stored

in 1981, & 1990, & 2014 (maybe 2015), sorry my memory is getting a bit cloudy.

I made the (F-2's) in late 1980, using over a dozen females, and a

dozen males (cold stored some of these in early 81).

I made the (F-3's) in late 1989, they were also made using over a

dozen females, and a dozen males (cold stored them in early 90).

I broke some out late January 2014, and did an (F-4) run. I used an

even split on both, eight F-2 moms, eight F-3 moms, same numbers

on the dads. The selections were the best candidates, based on my

past experience with them. No segregation, all females could catch

pollen from any of the males used.

In Feb 2016 I broke out cold stored seeds from 1990, and 2014 of

this line (F-3's and F-4's), and did another open pollination. Using an even

split of 6 females from each year, and 6 males from each year. Shook all the

males hard to really mix that pollen in the air. Harvested those seeds in

July 2016.

So, that's the lineage for AITR best I can remember. Everyone here got F-5's all open pollenated, made in

2016. This years seed run will be a combo of F-3's, F-4's and F-5's. I will do at least 20 males and females from

each F-generation, plenty of fans pushing pollen around like Hurricane. Would like to do 200 of each, but I'm still

behind enemy lines.

Parting thought, the original seeds were the offspring of seeds traded along Tribal Lines in NE/NW Afghanistan, NW Pakistan,

even some from both of those grown elsewhere in that Region and traded back. So, lot's of potential in these

old gems.

Hope that helps ....

therevverend

Veteran
Don't forget the Derg Corra Helmand Afghani offering.

Derg Corra has a wonderful collection of Afghan and wide leaf genetics. A lot of older heirloom collections, Afghan hybrids, stuff collected by soldiers and other visitors, and quite a few wide leaf type hashplants from the region. For instance Iraqi Pilgrim and Aunt of Farouk. They have (have had) Sensi Star, and Sensi Star crossed with Helmand and Iraqi Pilgrim although I can't say for sure what's in stock at the moment. I can't vouch for their version because I haven't tried it but it looks like the real deal.

A lot of the people doing the breeding and collecting there are also here (have been here) on IC Mag. There's still nice Hybrids from Hell strains, Bald Monkey Seeds has great stuff. There's some Deep Chunk hybrids floating around. It would be one of the first places I'd look if I was shopping for great Afghan stuff, especially if I was in Europe.

It's sort of a golden age for Afghan landraces, really for South and Central Asian landrace strain in general. Lots of great seeds out there. The Taliban takeover hasn't put much of a dent in the seed market, since seeds aren't haram and they allow cannabis for medical use. They've cracked down hard on the large scale commercial farms, especially in the southern regions, but there's still a significant trade in strains and small scale production.

The Real Seed Company has great stuff as usual, a lot of good northern Afghan strains. I've been very happy with Indian Landrace Exchange's Durand Line 2020 Project collection I picked up last year. Trying out a few more southern mountain strains this year. I'm trying some Balochi strains this year, across the border in Pakistan. Giant wide leaf types. ILE has a great collection right now. Balochistan (Baluchistan) has always been a big hash plant growing region. It's next to Afghanistan so the plants are very similar but in some ways even better. Very big yields, huge buds, lots of frost, and all sorts of smells. Excited to see how mine turn out.

I mean the dude that made these collection trips in Afghanistan is on Instagram and is growing and breeding also looking for new strains but I'm not sure how he's selling them I do know someone tried to make a fake scam account mimicking this guy and they robbed some people ...... that made indian landrace exchange to stop dealing with him on top of the main drama about a deal that went sour between irrazin ig (indian-landrace-exchange)and afghan landrace seeds on Instagram . According to afghan landrace seeds the guys from indian landrace exchange stole his genetics they sold they only bought the seeds for the book and promised to come back for more to sell retail packs but they just made a seed increase on their own its just a bunch of drama

All the accusations and bickering seemed to be drama for the sake of drama; sort of a waste of time to follow although I made sure to buy popcorn and get a seat in the front row. I think along with stuff lost in translation these guys don't realize that negotiating with your partner or boss on social media is a bad idea. Since I got an Instagram account and started bullshitting with those guys my seed stash has improved substantially.

Of course I'd watch for phonies and take my time to figure out who's legit. Irrazin is honest and legit, I can't vouch for Afghan landrace seeds because I haven't done business with him, he seems honest and legit but I'd still be very careful. Baaba Ku is the 3rd wheel in the drama show, he's in Balkh near the actual Baba Ku's grave but he's been quite a bit more reserved since the Taliban takeover. I hope he doesn't have any problems. I think his business was called 'Afghan Selections', a lot of great northern strains. Might still be able to find his stuff in the West, I got a pack of his Sholgar strain a couple years back and it's awesome.

A French photographer and traveler visited Balkh, put out a picture book a few years back of the hash house, the Sholgar plants, and the hash making that's awesome. It's out of print now but you can probably still find a copy. It's called Afghan: Fortress of Hashish

p59teitel

Baaba is still around, he’s offering his Northern Afghan strains via Baaba Qo Selections through various vendors, and did post on IG as recently as four days ago. Afghan Selections still has the same strains available too. Total speculation but I’d guess the southern areas of the country that are more heavily Pashtun might be more heavily restricted by the Taliban than the northern areas that are more ethnically diverse and more prone to resistance. I picked up Baaba Qo’s Mazar, Rabat, Rustam Kush, Sholgar and Tashqurghan in September due to the political situation there. Am running the Rustam Kush and Sholgar this outdoor season and they are going great although I need to break them out of keg cup jail and into the ground soon.

The Real Seed Co.’s Waziri is an absolute favorite and so far the repro seeds I made from the two moms and two dads are holding pretty true to their parents’ phenos. Their Balkhi is quite nice too. I grew their Tirah last year and ended up with enormous 15 foot trees, jarred a few pounds and sifted more hash than I could smoke in five years. If only my dry sift techniques were better…I’m also very intrigued by their latest Nepalese strains and will probably ask Angus which ones he’d recommend for my climate.

Agree IG is where it’s at to find out what’s really out there, as none of these folks really spend time on forums. And yes, popcorn for the drama!

Last edited:

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It makes a lot of sense because they were gifted by a UK soldier and the Helmand Province is definitely one of the mains spots UK were based and traveled through.

Wuachuma

Ngakpa, if I re-phrase it, instead of highland vs lowland, in Afghanistan, is there any distinction between southern vs northern afghani plants or is it all pretty scattered?

I met up with Bodhi at Emerald Cup a few years back and he gave me buds of a highland Afghan he grew out.
It was very body high but left the mind alone - absolutely perfect for meditation.

Granted, the lowest elevation in Afghanistan is about 2,000 ft (is SW Afghanistan) which is pretty much like California, then it can go all the way up to near-himalayan elevation. So, there is a distinction in-country between highland and lowland, though their lowland is nowhere near sea level elevations.
Then, there are also BLD and WLD lines throughout Afghanistan. Then, there are greens, purples, blacks, etc.
Being smack in the middle of the Silk Road, the genetics are just as diverse as the country itself.

Wuachuma

Deep Chunk is a classic affie from the 80s... love it or hate it but in my opinion is still one of the best representations of the old hashplant cultivars.

Mazari from Real Seed is legit too, more modern though. They used to have Shebergan too. GN Collection used to have another Mazari cultivar but I've seen mixed reviews.

Unfortunately the availability of hashplant landraces is very limited nowadays so there isn't much to choose from.

I've got a bag of "F2s" from Gypsy Afghan that I acquired around 2010-2013. Luckily, I left a small grab of seeds in my parent's fridge here in NY so not all was lost to the fire.
I'm just wondering, did Gypsy release any other line as "Afghan," or can I assume that these are his Mazar line?

Last edited:

TPFTFW

Veteran
Landrace Afghani

Landrace Afghani

I was gifted 38 seeds sourced direct from Afghanistan, of those seeds 37 were very similar but 1 grew with single blade leaf and was almost runt like for the first month of growing. She ended up being possibly the greatest find I've had in any seeds let alone landrace. Im currently testing this cut crossed with my ChemValley Cooks (Forum GSC x SFV OG/ChemD BX).

What’s the smells like

therevverend

Veteran
Granted, the lowest elevation in Afghanistan is about 2,000 ft (is SW Afghanistan) which is pretty much like California, then it can go all the way up to near-himalayan elevation. So, there is a distinction in-country between highland and lowland, though their lowland is nowhere near sea level elevations.
There's a big difference between the north of the country where there wasn't as much of a disruption in cultivation in the south. Many southern growers lost their strains during the wars and had to import new stock from the north. The southern strains are often a hybrid between the southern local feral narrow leaf landrace types and the more cultivated selected heirloom types from the north. The feral types acclimatize the select strains from the north to the local conditions and shorten flowering time in the highland. Kandahar and Balkh are more closely connected I'd thought, I've found out that many farmers have fields in both southern and northern Afghanistan. There's a trade in both seeds and hashish between the two regions.

A lot depends on water, the more remote provinces are less developed and have less access to steady irrigation. They have less money to bring in high quality genetics from the more cultivated areas. The 'breadbasket' areas near the rivers in the 'lowlands' in the more populated areas do much more selected breeding and have higher quality strains. The 'highland' areas are less developed and their strains tend to be a mix of the cultivated heirloom varieties with the local semi-wild landrace. Both lowland and highland areas are suffering from drought, and there's also lowland and highland areas that have a steady water supply.

This year I'm growing a couple of 'highland' varieties from Indian Landrace Exchange's 2020 Durand Line Project. I'm already seeing genetic diversity, since they're likely a mix of more select high quality heirloom types mixed with the local strain. There's already standouts that are quite impressive, showing quality hashplant traits I'm looking for. This is from Shahjoy in Zabul Province, from 1800-2000 meters so it qualifies as 'highland'.

View media item 18701598
View media item 18701596

It's one of my biggest plants, outperforming my western plants. This next one is from Zer Karez in Zabul Province, also 1800-2000 meters. I'm seeing a wider range of traits in these plants, the region is remote and the strain likely contains quite a bit of local feral genetics. This is probably the best looking one.

View media item 18701597

p59teitel

“Kandahar and Balkh are more closely connected I'd thought, I've found out that many farmers have fields in both southern and northern Afghanistan.”

Seems there are (or were, anyway) cross-border connections between Mazar-i-Sharif and Tirah Valley, Pakistan as well; I’m told that Mazar seeds made their way to Tirah around 1970 and were widely introduced at that time. Interestingly most of the Tirah plants I grew last year seemed to have more in common structurally with Himalayan types than Northern Afghan types, i.e. super tall with long internodes - although I understand Mazar plants can be monsters too.

Wuachuma

“Kandahar and Balkh are more closely connected I'd thought, I've found out that many farmers have fields in both southern and northern Afghanistan.”

Seems there are (or were, anyway) cross-border connections between Mazar-i-Sharif and Tirah Valley, Pakistan as well; I’m told that Mazar seeds made their way to Tirah around 1970 and were widely introduced at that time. Interestingly most of the Tirah plants I grew last year seemed to have more in common structurally with Himalayan types than Northern Afghan types, i.e. super tall with long internodes - although I understand Mazar plants can be monsters too.

I've noticed the idea of borders between Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Uzbekistan are very much Western imposed ideas. These are peoples who do a lot of traveling throughout these regions.