What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who is our resident Tissue culture master?

Dequilo

Plant Abuser
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
I will be watching this for sure :)

I did (helped to do) meristeming of orchids at Jones and Scully

back in '82 - '83

artificial seeds? Lab made seeds

I remember Breeder Steve talking about these

S_M

Last edited:

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I do not really know much about tissue culture. I have a good friend who works for a lab and signed an NDA so I only hear bits and pieces. From what I understand the correct hormone ratios right can be a challenge. And if you get yourself to the point you have roots you are going to need an incubator to gently harden them.

Mattbho

Never did it myself but from what I've read same idea as cloning cubensis. Instead of nuitrient enriched agar . You use Murashige and Skoog

Pressure cook media and pour in flow or better yet pour then pressure cook . The professional "boxes" aren't cheap. I'm sure ziplock containers with tyvex patch would work. .

Sterilizing the cuttings is pretty wild and I read to make 4 for every 1 cultivar you want to keep . Something like 50% failure would be good for a diy 1st try.

Please let us know if you attempt it. I think it would be a great way to build up a collection of elite clone onlys.

Dequilo

Plant Abuser
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
I've read same idea as cloning cubensis

when you do Mushroom do you grow cell masses and split them up?

I know with Orchid you can grow the masses by keeping your flasks

in motion/moving

when you want plantlets just stop moving them

S_M

grod31

Veteran
Yes growing mushrooms is verry much just growing cell masses and splitting them up. Then dont split and spawn to substrate when you want to make fruit body.

Fuck man a 50% failure rate doesn't seem so great. It was $35USD for a litters worth of pre mixed cannabis media. Thats like 20 containers - $1.75 a jar
I have to do more reading but im gonna start this as soon as i have a handle. I'll start with 10-fill a bunch of jars with loose lids and pressure cook em. Tighten the lids tomorrow in front of the hood and store em in the fridge untill i'm ready to move on.

I have to figure out how to sterilize the plant tissue. Also have to find my forceps...

Last edited:

laszlokovacs

There are tons of classes available it seems. Ive seen quite a few in the northeast that advertise classes for a couple hundred bucks. Wish I could help you but i know nothing either as I've only read about it. Im pretty sure TC is TC so the techniques are comparable across all plants. Hopefully someone can help you but if you research TC enough you can find out how to do it and apply it to cannabis. Theres a lot online and plenty of TC websites that can probably help you if you pay them https://microclone.com/store/ols/products/manual-and-dvd-combo/v/Manual-Canna stuff like this is everywhere online.

Syn seeds are tiny pieces of meristems encased in agar. They need the hormones/nutrients in media to wake up/start growing. heres an OG journal article about it in (granular) detail for cannabis- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3550375/

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did it before most people,,,what do you guys want to know?

I had certain goals,,,I basically did it for the removal of pest, bacteria, viroids , ,,I soon realised the techniques I learned from tc helped me achieve all this and tc itself was not so so important,,,

Once you have a clean sealed mother room the home grower don't really need tc,,tc is only really used for mass plant production and cleaning,, if you bring a plant into your environment already cleaned and free from nasties,,, at this point its not realy viable for a home grower to go through the stress of tc setup maintenance permanently,,,this is why I made my pop up kit,,,designed as a game to help you learn principles that can be applied in real world sinarios

ive been meaning to get my kit into production for ages,,,but im sorry to say life has fuked me recently and im stuck doing other work ,,its been like this for a couple of years,,,athena has done a similar kit since designed by mikehydro,,,im actually wondering if someone saw mine and got inspiration,,,

my kit was designed to have modules where you learn new techniques like callus culture (indirect) vs direct organogenisis meristem ,, differences between meristem and apical meristem , my kit had practical assignments,, mine kit is more like a game to teach you the principles ,,,

I had a CIS game years ago that showed you how to take fingerprints,,,the game was to find out whodidit,,,my tc kit was designed like that

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is cool,,that's an essential book,,good job,,that book gives you the basic mix,,,what have you read so far

Artificial seeds are usaly little balls of encapsulated gel with a small meristem clone embedded inside ,,I was planning on sending out my first work in this form,,

Tissue culture Media is a mix of ingredients that you have to figure out yourself,,,I can give you my mix but honestly I put alot of work into it and I'm not just going to give out my favourite ip work,,I have secret ingredients and you need to go out and find some yourself,,then we can trade secrets,,read the book twice

Ratios are the key to any liquid mix ,,be it nutrients on your plants or tc mixture,,you need to know what reactions you want first,,plants have modes and ratios flick the switches on these functions

all tc medium is designed for a specific purpose,,you need to know what you want first and work Backwards,,explain the goals

NEED 4 SEED

I did it before most people,,,what do you guys want to know?

I had certain goals,,,I basically did it for the removal of pest, bacteria, viroids , ,,I soon realised the techniques I learned from tc helped me achieve all this and tc itself was not so so important,,,

Once you have a clean sealed mother room the home grower don't really need tc,,tc is only really used for mass plant production and cleaning,, if you bring a plant into your environment already cleaned and free from nasties,,, at this point its not realy viable for a home grower to go through the stress of tc setup maintenance permanently,,,this is why I made my pop up kit,,,designed as a game to help you learn principles that can be applied in real world sinarios

ive been meaning to get my kit into production for ages,,,but im sorry to say life has fuked me recently and im stuck doing other work ,,its been like this for a couple of years,,,athena has done a similar kit since designed by mikehydro,,,im actually wondering if someone saw mine and got inspiration,,,

my kit was designed to have modules where you learn new techniques like callus culture (indirect) vs direct organogenisis meristem ,, differences between meristem and apical meristem , my kit had practical assignments,, mine kit is more like a game to teach you the principles ,,,

I had a CIS game years ago that showed you how to take fingerprints,,,the game was to find out whodidit,,,my tc kit was designed like that
I remember the thread about your kits but wasn't interested that much at the time when i had no need for this. But now with the massive hplvd outbreak and my longing for other people's genetics it's probably pretty handy to master this technique as I couldn't afford letting a lab clean my mothers at this point and it's told you could even get it by sprouting seeds from infected plants.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got these made by a company in the uk with my mix for roots and shoots

Attachments

• picture (4).jpeg
    picture (4).jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 62
  • picture (5).jpeg
    picture (5).jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 64

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I remember the thread about your kits but wasn't interested that much at the time when i had no need for this. But now with the massive hplvd outbreak and my longing for other people's genetics it's probably pretty handy to master this technique as I couldn't afford letting a lab clean my mothers at this point and it's told you could even get it by sprouting seeds from infected plants.
I'd like to test this statement below,,,,

Initiation is a big part of the tc process,,,you need to subject your plants to extreem environments to stop viroid replication,, this is before you even bother doing apical meristem culture,,

In a home grower situation,,it might be possible to avoid apical meristem culture altogether and opt for just the initiation process for viroid removal after using micro cloning techniques for bacteria and pest removal,,is this enough? Im not 100% sure,,,obviously apical meristem after initiation is normally the protocol,,I need to test how well initiation removes viroids

Mudballs2.0

Initiation is a big part of the tc process,,,you need to subject your plants to extreem environments to stop viroid replication,, this is before you even bother doing apical meristem culture,,

In a home grower situation,,it might be possible to avoid apical meristem culture altogether and opt for just the initiation process for viroid removal after using micro cloning techniques for bacteria and pest removal,,is this enough? Im not 100% sure,,,obviously apical meristem after initiation is normally the protocol,,I need to test how well initiation removes viroids
At the risk of stubbing my toe...do you mean with smaller clone cuttings you can reduce the population of viroids and the amount able to replicate.
So then you subject the small clone to viroid destroying stresses? If im following i just got in an argument with a guy about Kj/mol to break RNA covalent bonds during shipping to a lab for testing.

NEED 4 SEED

I saw someone on another forum stating that he tried nodal culture on an affected plant, if that's what you mean by micro cloning, and that it didn't help. But tell me more about the thing you call initiation.

Latest posts

Latest posts