What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary White Rhino & Friends. Fall 2021 Grow.

aliceklar

Dammit. My extraction fan stopped working this morning... Power supply was not the issue (tried a different item in the same socket and it worked fine). Wondering if the painting in front of the stealthed air exit had warped or shifted and obstructed the airflow enough to trigger the thermal cutout? It did feel warm when I checked it... Its not a small, cheap or flimsy fan... (Black Orchid Silent, only 4", but a 50cm long sturdy metal construction, hybrid fan - 170m3/hour at its lowest setting). I've just tried it again, and am running it now with the painting removed - seems to be working fine. Will keep a close eye on it.

aliceklar

20220421_214013_8.jpg

20220421_213956_2.jpg

20220421_214146_5.jpg

20220421_214153_3.jpg

aliceklar

Just realised you can use a spreadsheet to subtract one date from another to give a count of days. Really handy when tracking flowering times! No more squinting at calendars and counting rows :D

In other news, only 4 left in flower now - the C6 (46 days and looking magnificent), a last Purple Bud, a Sherbet Queen x Afghan, and a Green Gelato. The SQxA and Green Gelato both at 75 days, both nearly done - tho the SQxA is now piling on a whole load of foxtailly new flowers. The Green Gelato is a chunky dwarf - fat buds bending the stems down with their weight. I can see why this strain is a crowd-pleaser. In spite of the bigger buds, the GG (in its 4 litre pot) is still not going to produce as much as the SQxA (in a 2 litre pot), which is twice the height.

Itching to get going with the next round of AK47 auto x (MMxWR) F2s, but they will have to wait until next season. Also got some ACE auto fem Zamaldelica, which I will grow alongside (and obvs make some seed with from the true auto AKs).

zif

Veteran
Just realised you can use a spreadsheet to subtract one date from another to give a count of days. Really handy when tracking flowering times! No more squinting at calendars and counting rows :D
Be careful - that can lead you down the path of no return, resulting in monstrosities like:
if(not(isblank($a1)),if(isblank($b1),today()−$a1,$b1−$a1),"")

- which just tells me flowering duration today, but only if I've entered a start date.

It's also nice that you can change the formatting of durations to get a quick weeks + days output, or just a total days output. :geek:

The auto Zamaldelica is a very appealing candidate for an outcross!

aliceklar

Be careful - that can lead you down the path of no return, resulting in monstrosities like:
if(not(isblank($a1)),if(isblank($b1),today()−$a1,$b1−$a1),"")

- which just tells me flowering duration today, but only if I've entered a start date.

It's also nice that you can change the formatting of durations to get a quick weeks + days output, or just a total days output. :geek:

The auto Zamaldelica is a very appealing candidate for an outcross!
Heh. I'll have to try that.

Naming stuff is going to get really messy really soon. AK47 auto x (MMxWR) F2 is unweildy. Auto Zamaldelica x (f2 AK47 auto x (MMxWR) ) is a mouthful. I'm just going to call them AKA for now.

Harvested the thicc Green Gelato yesterday. Easy trim, big fat buds. 75 days. Sherbet Queen x Afghan is next & then Purple Bud in next few days. The C6 will be last, and will be done within next 2-3 weeks.

Smoke report on the Blueberry #10.
Not a hint of berry. Odd topnote thats a bit like hot sealing-wax, or piney sandlewood soap. Mixed feelings about this one! Chemical & herbal. Strong high, mental alertness and moments of zenlike clarity & understanding. Positive. Quite a trip at times. Settles into fuzzy body stone after a couple of hours.

aliceklar

Chopped the Purple Bud at 70 days. Tied the C6 to the netting in a couple of places to flatten out the canopy. 56 days so far. The other one went to 64 days, not long.

Fave smoke so far is the Sherbet Queen x Afghan. Tasty smooth sweet, strong af, active & positive high fading into bodily relaxation. Only downside is 12 weeks to flower... I can live with that. Also have seeds from the brother of this one & the Purple bud (9 weeks). That might give a shorter flower time as well as lovely terps and resin production. Have all backed up as scions too, so could backcross to the SQA female and select for shorter flowering.

PCBuds

,.. Have all backed up as scions too, so could backcross to the SQA female and select for shorter flowering.

I think you should just wait the extra 3 weeks.

Messing with the timing/recipe might mess with the final product.

Do exactly what you did the first time to get what you want the second time.

Last edited:

aliceklar

I think you should just wait the extra 3 weeks.

Messing with the timing/recipe might mess with the final product.

Do what you did the first time to get what you want.
You're right. And yeah I'll probably be growing this as a clone again next run. But seeds. They want to be planted.

PCBuds

Seeds can wait,..

Screenshot_20220507-170715_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-171048_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I think that you should repeat, as best that you can, the conditions that grew what you liked,..

aliceklar

Seeds can wait,..

I think that you should repeat, as best that you can, the conditions that grew what you liked,..
Dont worry PC, I'll not be going short of my favorite weed ;) I've got that SQA cut backed up, and have grown it to flower twice in this current grow. I know what it likes in terms of medium, feed and training. Its vigorous and clones easily. I can churn it out, every 12 weeks, whenever I want to. But you know how much fun it is to experiment, eh? and I like variety. And seeds are fun. So when I next flower this out, I'll probably grow it alongside some of the SQA F2s as well as the Purple Bud x SQA. I like to grow relatives alongside each other to compare. Helps me get to know what's there, being passed along generation to generation. Maybe I get more pleasure out of making seeds and selecting plants than I do from actually smoking. And I like that bit a lot.

Here are some pics I didnt get round to posting from last week, just before the Purple Bud was cut. Purple bud is a fave still because of the strong effect, lovely incense terps and the pretty color. 9 weeks to flower makes it one of the fastest I've grown). Buds on the small size, though, and lots of leaf to trim (good for hash, tho - lots of trics on the trim).
20220504_191718_7.jpg
20220504_191710_7.jpg
20220504_191933_3.jpg

aliceklar

And then there were none. C6 chopped at 64 days. Cool how its filled out the space. And bulked up. Just love the harlequin green gold and black on this. Will probably yeild 3 jars. Still, I prefer growing multiple smaller plants than a few to maximum size - for the variety as much as anything. Growing with coco and bottled nutes, once you get the environment dialed in, is crazy productive.

Another thing I've noticed this grow is that the shape of the pot seems to make a big difference. Tall pots better than wide, at least with coco. Weed likes to put down deep roots. The C6 below is in a 4 litre pot with coco and perlite - and thats as big as I need *(although it does mean you have to keep a close eye on watering - they get thirsty fast).

20220515_185646_9.jpg
20220515_185556_0.jpg
20220515_185550_2.jpg

Next grow I'll be doing fewer plants, but will use grafting to trial multiple phenos at a time. Will re-build the grow-room, with better ventilation. The Black Orchid "silent" fan has died - not recommended. Will be looking for something more reliable - and preferably much quieter. Thankfully the grow was so advanced by the time the fan failed I got away with it. Also some automated drainage - I have calluses on my fingers from syringing run-off...

Big love to everyone who gave me advice when the grow was going to shit! Heroes <3

Peace
AK x

aliceklar

Here's the lineup for next grow:

Highland Thai (RSC) - want to do a seed run on the remaining few seeds I have left, with some of the seeds I made in my first grow a few years back, and use some auto pollen to kick off an auto project. Love both the crystal clear high and the unique aroma of this - but would love to take the flowering time down from 18 weeks.
Bluedigiberry (Verdant Green) - Love the blues, and looking forward to this selection from VG
Rhino D (Verdant Green) - Still havent managed to find a female White Rhino, in spite of using a few males in crosses (with great results). This is a White Rhino / Chem D cross - expecting something stinky and potent!
AK47 auto x (Medical Mass x White Rhino) F2s - Excited to take the best of the F1 plants to F2, and recover some true-breeding autos.
Auto Zamaldelica (ACE, fem) - heard good things about this one.
Erdpurt (ACE) - Will be making some seeds from these, inc an auto cross. Good reputation as a reliable finisher outdoors in cooler climates, with coffee/hash terps and good resin production.
Syrian (RSC) - Hashish landrace. Likewise, will be making seeds and doing another auto cross. Aiming for resilient, fast finishers that can still produce outdoors in poor weather.

Will need to do the usual weed-tetris, and plan the sequence carefully to get them all in (esp with the autos) but I like a challenge :)

aliceklar

Smoke Report on Blueberry #7

This is the one I've got backed up (as a scion on the male white rhino I've still got on the bench, with the F2 MMxWR #3).

It's a nice smoke. The buds had a noticeable smell of sweet berries fighting with underlying fuel & funk whilst in flower, but the berry smell is weaker after cure, sweeter, less funky but nice aromatic top notes that are spicy and cool (as in, feel cool to the nose, like melon or cucumber) - hard to describe, almost like a fancy hand lotion. Smoke is herbal and gently spicy, sandalwood and fuel, leathery, smooth. Aftertaste of bitter herbs. Effect rapid, clear, energetic. Heart-racing at times, bit of edginess melting into nice body awareness. this would be good to dance with. Energising.

goingrey

Interesting, energetic/heart-racing isn't typically how Blueberry is described. Usually more relaxing, anxiolytic, even sleepy. The BB I've personally smoked has been more of a "mild indica" kind of thing but probably weren't the best examples.

Love the fancy hand lotion description. Though when a joint like that is passed it can raise the question, did the person who rolled it just put on lotion...

Latest posts

Latest posts