What's new

Which HPS Lamp?

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Okay... So hopefully y'all are growing accustomed to my Noob A$$ questions by now. I'll get past it, I promise! :)

I have just obtained a 400 watt HPS fixture that I'll be converting for my Flowering Grow Light. {That should be fun, Not-So-Handyman Bob says...}

That aside, the fixture did not come with a lamp. Now I am looking into what I should obtain. I've already invested more than I should've for getting started, and am not sure I care to drop another chunk for one of those Hortilux lamps {or whatever}...

So, my question is, would I be going wrong if I went with a more standard HPS Lamp, and a backup? Or am I into it so far now that I'd be wasting my investment dollars if I don't put out the extra for the special grow lamp?

Recommendations? Suggestions?

Thanx!

-BuzzBob

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
BB

I am an absolute newb myself, so I may be thinking through my shorts here... but I've been looking at the same thing getting ready to build out a cab. From what I've come across the amount of improvement with these HPS specialty lights go Son Agro > Hortilux > Sylvania Grolux, with the Grolux having 58k lumens and reportedly better par.

But instead we could supplement with cheaper flouros to get the blue. I've been thinking of this anyway to get light to underneath the canopy.

Looks like a lot of folks here have grown beautiful bud with straight HPS, so I don't think we can lose either way we decide, however I'm leaning more toward supp'ing with the flouros right now.

Cheers -MGJ

King

I'd get the Hortilux. It has 1.5 times the PAR wattage rating of a regular HPS. So basically one 400 hortilux, puts out as much light as 600 watts worth of regular old HPS bulbs(Not a single 600HPS, 1.5 x 400 watt HPS). Not to mention the extra benefits of blue you'd be adding by using the Hortilux.

You will see gardens that grow with regular HPS, and they do fine, but it's a Hortilux for me. Science is a good thing.

If you're that tight on money just go with the regular HPS and than upgrade down the road if you would like.

Best of luck

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
yea buzz bob, I was kinda wondering the same thing? I have a regular 15$ HPS bulb and did preety good with it , got 6 oz on my last harvest (only light) but can't help but to wonder what would happen if I spent some real money and got a hortulux .:confused:

G

Go ahead and get yourself a standard bulb. Since your new to growing you will be very satisfied with what you will pull from it. Then when you can move up to a hortilux. With either one you will be pulling quality bud off your plant. Do what you can brotha this is'nt a contest.

Blatant

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Thanx everyone for your valued input and opinions! I truly appreciate them, and all of you as well!

I think I am going to go with the suggestions to go low to start, and move up later if/when I feel inclined and can afford it.

Now... Can I pick the experts' brains one more time, please?

Take a look at these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42225&item=4314720379&tc=photo

and:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42225&item=4314720380&tc=photo

First, are those acceptable for the intended use? And what's the diff between them? Both lamps are Kelvin 2700... But one is "CRI 27" and the other is "CRI 22." -- What is CRI?

Note: I am zeroing in on these as it provides a means to obtain 2 lamps in one purchase, thereby providing a backup lamp. Plus, by going eBay, I can use some PayPal dollars I have pending in my account...

Good choice? Bad choice? Go for it, or shop around more?

G

Heres a discription B Double:
Color rendition describes the effect that a light source has on the appearance of colored objects. The color rendition index (CRI) ranges from 0 to 100. A CRI of 100 indicates that there is no color shift or distortion which is natural sunlight. Most brands of full-spectrum lights have a CRI of 91, 68 for cool-white fluorescent lights and 52 for warm-white fluorescents. It is advisable to order lighting with a CRI of 85 or better with a color temperature somewhere between 5,000 and 5,900 Kelvins

So I would guess either bulb will not make much of a difference.

Blatant

Latest posts

Latest posts