What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which Elvis Songs are Great Elvis songs - without being Too Elvis'y ?

St. Phatty

I nominate "Love Me Tender" - and Jailhouse Rock.

If you do a search for Elvis Songs ... Dang the man sang about 400 different songs.

Some of them are too Elvis'y. Anybody who sings it looks like they are doing a bad impersonation, and it's hopeless to try.

goingrey

I like the later songs the most. Burning Love, A Little Less Conversation, Suspicious Minds...

But possibly those are exactly what you mean by "Elvis'y"?

The songs you mentioned are older, from the 50's... From that era, let's say Hound Dog.

St. Phatty

I like the later songs the most. Burning Love, A Little Less Conversation, Suspicious Minds...

But possibly those are exactly what you mean by "Elvis'y"?

The songs you mentioned are older, from the 50's... From that era, let's say Hound Dog.

too Elvis-y -
people try too hard, can never catch up with the Real Elvis.

Like trying to surf like Kelly Slater. Just watched him lose to some rookie, but he is definitely being under-scored.

His balance is freak-ish, among other things.

Elvis had a rich voice.

Some of his songs rely on the rich voice. Others he's just sort of hamming it up, in his own Famous dance style.

It's like a guy trying to keep up with a woman dancer doing the Can Can.

Very few guys can do that.

dlxtpnuo

A new Elvis movie is about to screen. Warner Bros. Pictures say Austin Butler and Tom Hanks star in Baz Luhrmann’s #ElvisMovie, only in theaters June 24. There is even this surreal elvis website https://elvis.warnerbros.com (not advertising, and cannot be unlinked by ICMag's post editing tools)