What's new

which breeders only use landrace and f1's in their breeding to keep strain purity

Texicannibus

noob
Veteran
Btw think what your seeking info on is population genetics... might try searching for info on population genetics.. gl man

edit: check out quantitative genetics as well ... interesting stuff

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I posted my reply very late and didn't see your and VerdantGreen's posts.
Excuse me for getting you so nervous :)

I don't know what kind of experience you, guys, have but I think everyone can learn from Wikipedia or a simple search in Google. And you don't really need to get so upset unless you've done your homework ;)
A simple search in Google gives this one - it's for doggies, since we get so upset by our botanic misunderstandings:
http://www.bulldoginformation.com/breeding-types.html

And by the way, I've found that good herb, inbred or not, makes me float above all these negative emotions and be able to clearly argue without all this ego stuff. I'm not here to feel negative emotions and I doubt anyone is. Cheers ;)

hi yoss, im not sure where you got the idea that i was either upset or being negative, but please accept my apologies if that was the impression you took from my posts. i agree that wikipedia is a useful tool but you have taken a general definition of inbreeding and applied it to botanics where it means something different. the fourth line from the wiki definition you used says
"In plant breeding, inbred lines are used as stocks for the creation of hybrid lines to make use of the heterosis effect. Inbreeding in plants also occurs naturally in the form of self-pollination."

now i totally agree that using large populations is important to preserve genetics and recessives, but that is a different discussion.

cheers

V.

yoss33

Veteran
hi yoss, im not sure where you got the idea that i was either upset or being negative, but please accept my apologies if that was the impression you took from my posts. i agree that wikipedia is a useful tool but you have taken a general definition of inbreeding and applied it to botanics where it means something different. the fourth line from the wiki definition you used says
"In plant breeding, inbred lines are used as stocks for the creation of hybrid lines to make use of the heterosis effect. Inbreeding in plants also occurs naturally in the form of self-pollination."

now i totally agree that using large populations is important to preserve genetics and recessives, but that is a different discussion.

cheers

V.
I sensed frustration in Rick's posts and my post was directed to him.
Now, this discussion got too long and I got tired. I can't believe we are arguing over a simple definition. I said what I have to say, and I'm not going to explain that "inbreeding" does NOT have different meanings for plants and animals. I gave the dog breeding link simply because it was on top of my Google search and it explained the problem pretty clearly and simple.
Anyways, since obviously slightly different variations of its meaning are accepted in different circles, I will not insist that you accept the definition that to me seems correct (and which makes a difference between in-breeding and line-breeding). You will perfectly understand each other with your mates, so you are all fine.
Peace :)

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i didnt mean to sound fustrated,,,,sorry man

its just seems like you stickin to your guns, so im gona gracefully finish my argument

i still think your wrong,,,but i love ya ither way:)