What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where should I set my LED with slightly uneven canopy...

tmold44

I'm in week 1 of flower of a 6 plant hydro grow. I currently have 2 trellis nets set to try and keep a pretty even canopy in little bigger than a 4x4 area. My question is which plants I should gear my light height and intensity setting towards. I have a PAR meter and in veg it was pretty simple as all the plants were in the 400-500 reading range and happy. In flower I have 2 plants that are growing quicker than the others and even with some lst they are taller. I find myself in a spot that in order to keep the smaller plants with adequate light (600+) im getting over 1000 readings on the bigger plants. So far no light stress is showing but thought I'd ask before problems develop. I am not supplementing co2. Is it better To 20221003_190216.jpg be over 1000 on bigger plants to get sufficient light to the lowers or should I raise light/lower intensity to bigger plants at the expense of PAR readings in the 500 or less range on smaller plants.

goingrey

Gotta go with the closest ones as a priority, frying them will be a bigger loss than what the further away ones will lose in yield, maybe?

LEDs do best with an even canopy. It is how it is.

In your case being only on week 1 of flower and even empty space in there you can still work them. More LST?

tmold44

Good point.....definitely don't want to jeopardize the 2 bigger plants.....I will do my best to do some more bending....is it not advised to adjust led's in an uneven fashion. Meaning the 2 biggest are on one side so technically I could raise light on that side but light then won't be parallel to the canopy.

goingrey

Good point.....definitely don't want to jeopardize the 2 bigger plants.....I will do my best to do some more bending....is it not advised to adjust led's in an uneven fashion. Meaning the 2 biggest are on one side so technically I could raise light on that side but light then won't be parallel to the canopy.
I don't see why not. LED house lights and flood lights get used in all kinds of angles all the time. Seems like a good idea to me.

tmold44

Your right....I believe I was way over thinking this...lol. I never even used to know my PAR readings until I got my new toy. Used to let the plants tell me what to do. Thanks for the input!!!

goingrey

Yeah I'm still missing that one from my toy collection but tbh I can see it being a useful tool too.

Sure the plants will tell you if it's too much but in late flowering they'll tell you by turning buds yellow, not good!