What's new

When a plant starts to flower early, then goes back to veg before flowering again...

So what's the deal with plants going into flowering early during spring, then going back into veg when days are long enough during summer, then flowering again at the end of summer...?...

I'm still new to growing this plant (3rd year) and haven't quite gathered all of the the main reasons why people don't want this to happen? These are some potential things that come to my mind, not sure if true or not..?..

Is it because early flowering will result in smaller plants over all compared to a plant that was in veg all the way until the end of summer? Time/energy wasted flowering and then switching back to veg when it could be vegging the whole time?

....A different structure to the plants & buds?

....Lower quality flower at the end?

....Increased chance for hermi/nanners?

.....just screwing up the natural cycle of the plant in general?

I vaguely remember reading about something at some point years ago, before I ever grew the plant, that there is a certain "method" of growing that some folks do where they intentionally let the plant go into flowering early for a short period of time...and then it goes back into veg for a while before flowering completely...Some sort of claims about that resulting in a larger yield or some sort of benefit?...I want to say they called it "super-cropping" but not sure if I recall correctly or if that term refers to something different...?..

hyposomniac

Veteran
Put a kosher kush outside too early and this happened.. a couple few weeks of early flowering followed by a reveg and the stall that comes with it. Plant lost out on probably a month or more of productive veg time. All the other plants that didn't flower early were much bigger and more productive.

hellfire

The revegging you are referring to for a large yield is called monster cropping. It is traditionally done with cutting flowering clones that then reveg and need little training or more veg time to flower.
There isn't really enough time in the outdoor season to do this in most climates. The plant won't have a lot of time to reveg before 12 sun hours occur and flower them.

Check your daylight sun hours in your area before putting plants outside. If they started inside under lights be mindful of when your dark period is when they were indoors when you put the plants out.

B

Benny106

Use a solar led light with a light sensor, sun goes down and the led keeps the plants in veg. Scale as required.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Living close to the Equator in the tropics, I assumed that the grow season for weed ought to be whenever I wish to plant, but it turns out I was wrong.

Planted some sativa dominant hybrids in December 2019, and out of 30 plants, all but three went into flower when the plants were mere inches tall, leaving just three plants that went into reveg, and proceeded to grow tall in classic Xmas tree shape, with bud development slowed down drastically.

Sadly I was spotted just before dawn, by someone who was actually trespassing on my land, as I waded out of the swamp. The invader had no wading gear to brave the leech-infested water so as to try and get a look at what it was I might have been doing deep in the swamp, but rather than fuck off and leave me alone, the person decided to destroy whatever it was I had back in there, by setting multiple fires that consumed all vegetation in the area, right down to the water line.

I was livid with rage, when I showed up a day after the arson inferno, and discovered that my three reveged plants, all of which had just the day before been so robust, were all singed and charred beyond any hope of recovery. Honestly, if those plants were stolen, I would have been less upset, than was the case when I saw that the grow was simply destroyed for no logical reason other than spite held in the evil heart of a trespasser.

With nothing left to harvest thanks to the trespassing arsonist, I at least gained some growing knowledge, specifically that when plants do go into reveg for any reason, a small percentage of those plants will go on to develop into massive trees whose maturity will stretch over into the next growing season, IF LEFT ALONE to do so.

Pumpkin

Veteran
You basically don't want this to happen, because a lot of growth is lost in the transition to reveg. It can take some plants a full month to get back into the swing of things, and that is a month lost in vegetative growth.

Quality is pretty much the same, your plant will be more branchy and you can still get monsters. It's not all bad by any means, but if the plant takes a long time to turn around, or goes too far into flower, you can lose a lot of growth and end up with a smaller yield.

Dee.S73

super cropping has nothing to do with light cycles, it's a "mechanical" way to keep plants low and wide
Ds

ohimaria

Out(of mind)Grower
It happens when you put plants in the (cold) ground too early,the plant while having an increasing photoperiod goes to bloom because she feels the conditions of the autumn.

here 05-20-2019:

picture.php

back to revegging in 30 days 06-20-2019

picture.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=337774&page=96

T

Teddybrae

Isn't this to do with available Light? I had to clear some trees to get an full un-interupted day's light onto my Indica varieties or they would flower and stop, then flower again and stop, getting weaker each time.
Sounds to me yr plants are in shade/light, shade/light, shade/light.
No good ...
Doesn't matter so much with Sativa ...

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
day length!!!
never put plants out until after spring solstice or they will start to flower and then re-veg,
especially clones from mature plants who are already ready to flower (a mother plant)

it will take longer to re-flower after that happens and you'll have smaller colas...maybe even lose them if your area has significant rain come fall.

Pumpkin

Veteran
I think technically it is night length :)

If you have a plant indoors in winter and you decide to reveg, put it out in spring and that vegetative state can hold fairly good. If it stays in vegetative it can get pretty damn big. Don't blame for your revegging reveggies if it doesn't work though.

Latest posts

Latest posts