What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's your favorite disposable lighter and why?

goingrey

For me it has to be the mini Bic!

So conveniently small, still lasts a good while. Flame burns pretty clean. Little flint flying around when you light it.

Downside is, truly disposable, no refills no flint change. Often only available in packs of 3.

Ca++

For the serious weekend event

iu

I don't have a favourite. I have thrown them all away. I do prefer the electronic to flints if it's proper cheap, but the Bic has a good flint and wheel, that's hard not to like. It's the best seller, in fact.

Crickets in the UK are somewhere between the two. I have not seem one we can refill, but it does sound like the clipper
71igPrWBDFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The wheel pulls out, along with a 30mm tube from below it. The tube has a screw at the bottom, to remove the spring and flint. There are rarely disposable versions. Perhaps never anymore. If a shop only sells one lighter, it should be this one. Any company putting logo's on a lesser lighter, is just cheap. Market stalls can exist selling nothing but clippers, there are so many. From plain, to pattern, to textured and metal. The Zippo isn't even close to the Clipper.
I use the mini version. Just 65mm tall, and 15mm at the bottom.

goingrey

iu

I don't have a favourite. I have thrown them all away. I do prefer the electronic to flints if it's proper cheap, but the Bic has a good flint and wheel, that's hard not to like. It's the best seller, in fact.

Crickets in the UK are somewhere between the two. I have not seem one we can refill, but it does sound like the clipper

The wheel pulls out, along with a 30mm tube from below it. The tube has a screw at the bottom, to remove the spring and flint. There are rarely disposable versions. Perhaps never anymore. If a shop only sells one lighter, it should be this one. Any company putting logo's on a lesser lighter, is just cheap. Market stalls can exist selling nothing but clippers, there are so many. From plain, to pattern, to textured and metal. The Zippo isn't even close to the Clipper.
I had a Clipper some years ago but didn't really like it, the flint threw sparks like a sparkler stick and the action of the wheel just "felt off".

While the possibility to refill and even change the flint is of course fantastic, it is only a benefit compared to the truly disposable ones and didn't impress me too much as I had a fancy refillable lighter from the cigar store which was way better.

Now have a cheap refillable keyring torch from the hardware store - also better. And one of those USB charged arc lighters, which doesn't even need butane fills, but is really only good for joints, difficult to use on bowls.

I do believe @BurntBacon meant to say Clipper and not Cricket. Had plenty of Crickets, none of them were refillable or had replaceable flints, most didn't have a flint at all but were electric.

Last edited:

Ca++

The clipper wheel has been through a few changes over the years. Until about 20 years ago, they did make lots of sparks. I actually like that, as that's it's job. Then for a number of years a wheel that needed soft flints was used. Making the older one's sort after. Then came the wheel that's not actually round. It seemed hateful at first, but does offer some extra purchase, so a sharp wheel can really dig into the flint and make some sparks. Which is something I find puzzling in your reply. More sparks means it's going to light. The bad wheels seem what you like. Where they would turn easily, but you might need a couple of goes (like a second hand spinning it like a 45)

There is a brand makes a poor clipper copy. I don't think it's cricket.. but I don't remember it anyway.

I had a couple of fancy lighters, but non really outlived a good clipper.
I had this in a better colour scheme (I still do) and it does the hot spot, then when you let go, it does a normal flame from the little pipe. It burns until you shut the lid. Like a candle. Only the gas tanks miserable. Like a pen cap full.
iu

goingrey

The clipper wheel has been through a few changes over the years. Until about 20 years ago, they did make lots of sparks. I actually like that, as that's it's job. Then for a number of years a wheel that needed soft flints was used. Making the older one's sort after. Then came the wheel that's not actually round. It seemed hateful at first, but does offer some extra purchase, so a sharp wheel can really dig into the flint and make some sparks. Which is something I find puzzling in your reply. More sparks means it's going to light. The bad wheels seem what you like. Where they would turn easily, but you might need a couple of goes (like a second hand spinning it like a 45)

There is a brand makes a poor clipper copy. I don't think it's cricket.. but I don't remember it anyway.

I had a couple of fancy lighters, but non really outlived a good clipper.
I had this in a better colour scheme (I still do) and it does the hot spot, then when you let go, it does a normal flame from the little pipe. It burns until you shut the lid. Like a candle. Only the gas tanks miserable. Like a pen cap full.
iu
All of the "brand name" disposables, Bic, Djeep (used to be my favorite until they screwed up the childproofing), Cricket, and so on work reliably without the extra sparks.

Some no name ones do suck in the way you describe.

Ca++

I prefer old school for my fire. :pimp3:

117703.jpg
I thought you were a grown up? :)

I think we banned proper matches about 30 years ago. We still safety matches (like pictured) though.

How are them plasma things really.. Need to know for a friend :)

goingrey

How are them plasma things really.. Need to know for a friend :)
The problem with them is you need to touch the arc and it's tiny and right on the lighter. So it works with a joint (cigarette) that you can get real close, or like the corner of a sheet of paper, but not much else. At least the one I have, maybe they have different designs for pipes?

Ca++

All of the "brand name" disposables, Bic, Djeep (used to be my favorite until they screwed up the childproofing), Cricket, and so on work reliably without the extra sparks.

Some no name ones do suck in the way you describe.
A good Clipper doubles as a torch :)
If you put in cheap flints, such as those from a disposable, then you get a lot less sparks. However, the wheel wears out. That generally sets them apart the disposables. Which don't need the wheel to last.
It's the pokey that makes them the smokers choice. It's the tool you need to make a well finished joint. Both packing the open cone end, and seating the roach, and unwinding it snugly in place. With all the tool in the world, many people will still use the pokey from their Clipper.
The sparks issue still seems puzzling. It's a sign your lighter has many years left, and will light with barely any effort. If you stick it in your pipe and light in in situ, in an effort to save gas, then I guess you might put sparks in your pipe. It doesn't take a second to move your wrist though.

Ca++

The problem with them is you need to touch the arc and it's tiny and right on the lighter. So it works with a joint (cigarette) that you can get real close, or like the corner of a sheet of paper, but not much else. At least the one I have, maybe they have different designs for pipes?
I have seen a few, but I get what you are saying. It's between two points, not arching out from the device.
I was thinking for lighting candles. Maybe an incense stick.

And back to disposables... :)

goingrey

It doesn't take a second to move your wrist though.
That might not seem like much effort, but actually is, as it is fighting decades of muscle memory.

I have seen a few, but I get what you are saying. It's between two points, not arching out from the device.
I was thinking for lighting candles. Maybe an incense stick.

And back to disposables... :)
For incense sticks and candle wicks it works well. Joints only if you have enough stuff that burns at the very tip/edge.

Ca++

That might not seem like much effort, but actually is, as it is fighting decades of muscle memory.

For incense sticks and candle wicks it works well. Joints only if you have enough stuff that burns at the very tip/edge.
lol
I have seen people take a lighter to a cigarette, and start to inhale almost before they struck a flame. Causing the quickest of flashes, when an act was on. Also people turn a lighter over, before they lit a pipe with it (and some lit their hair, when the flame was too big). I have done the same, when the last working lighter had nothing left in it, and the 24 hour shop seemed a short flight away. I guess if that's you, then flint lighters are not a great choice anyway.
Personally, and it really is just preference, I light my lighter vertically, after which, I move it to the job. There just seems something right about establishing a flame, then using it.
As I say, by far the most popular choice here. So ingrained at an almost dna level. It's a clipper, or a 10 cent disposable, which is ill equipped to be sat beside some rizla (as there is no pokey)

300px-Clipper_lighters.JPG

Ca++

Some unless disposable lighter facts
Both Clipper and Gillettes disposable Cricket came to market in 72, and the Bic a year later.
Bic are selling 750 million a year, while second place Clipper, sell 450 million.

I think the Bic is considerably cheaper, as a disposable. While offering more advertising space. It's the much better choice for dishing out with a corporate logo on.

In the shops, the Bic gets little exposure here. The coloured transparent one's are king of the cheap rubbish. They come from many factories it seems. Yet all look basically the same. Like the big blue one. Though usually with a flint. Generally it's them, or a Clipper.

50 years... That is quite a production run, and still there is no reason to change the basic package.

kfid3qvokfx31.jpg

sajesak

iu

The wheel pulls out, along with a 30mm tube from below it. The tube has a screw at the bottom, to remove the spring and flint. There are rarely disposable versions. Perhaps never anymore. If a shop only sells one lighter, it should be this one. Any company putting logo's on a lesser lighter, is just cheap. Market stalls can exist selling nothing but clippers, there are so many. From plain welding atlanta, to pattern, to textured and metal. The Zippo isn't even close to the Clipper.
I'm not a smoker, but I do have two lighters that I like, always good to have the ability to make fire on you, never know when it might come in handy

I have a Solo Laser-Tech butane torch for the difficult to light stuff, it stays in my Bugout Bag's firemaking kit (tinder-quik, Swedish Firesteel, Strike-Anywhere matches the SLT torch, and a magnesium brick firestarter), it's a little fussy sometimes and can take a couple clicks to fire up, but it's a decent enough butane lighter

However, I carry with me one of my Zippos, right now I have three, the classic brushed chrome, a Granite painted one (not really happy with this one, it doesn't close flush, and the lighter core is tempermental, I should send it to Zippo for repair) and a brushed brass, the brass one is my favorite, as it's slightly heavier than the chrome one, and has a slightly deeper "klink" when it opens, as long as they're topped off, the Zippos are quite reliable, one to two striker wheel turns and I have fire

Fire GOOOOD!!!

There's just something "timeless" about the Zippo "experience", the clink of the lid opening, the pungent odor of Naptha, the scratch of the striker wheel, the flash of the spark from the flint, the "fwipp" as the flame appears, the dance of the flame in the air, it's comforting, warming glow, and finally, the snap of the cap closing with a flick of the wrist

I remember camping with Dad, back when he used to smoke a pipe, he and his camping freind, Ernie, both of them would always use a Zippo, to light their pipes, to start the campfire, that simple clink brings back fond memories

Dad no longer smokes, Thank Og, and I'm pretty sure he threw out or gave away his Zippo, pity, really, you don't have to smoke to find a Zippo useful

the Solo Laser-Tech is a high tech firestarting system, but it just doesn't have the appeal of the humble Zippo

the Zippo is also unmatched in it's versatility, since it's a liquid fuel lighter, it can burn any combustible liquid, I found that Alcohol (91% Isopropyl) gives a clean, hot blue flame, but it doesn't last too long, it self-extinguishes after a couple minutes, and the flame is short, maybe 3/4" above the chimmney

I just placed an order for another Zippo last night, the #168 Brushed Brass "Armor" lighter, the Armor series has a thicker, heavier case than a standard Zippo, and the brass model especially, will have a nice, satisfying weight to it

Latest posts

Latest posts