What's new

What's this face doing in my music?!?

Milky

From http://www.bastwood.com/aphex.php

"Some time ago, in the summer of 2001 if I recall correctly, I ran into an intriguing page at http://chaos.yerbox.org/face/. The page, which sadly has since then disappered from the face of the earth, was all about this hidden "demon face" in one of Aphex Twin's tracks, #2 (the long formula) on "Windowlicker".

This face was supposed to be viewable with a spectrograph program, so I decided to try it myself. A spectrograph basically visualizes the sound spectrum.

First I needed to extract the track from the Windowlicker CD, which was easy with CDex. The extraction of the whole track was not really necessary because the "face" is situated at the very end of the track, starting from the 5:27 mark and lasting for about 10 seconds. There are other "audio images" on this particular track as well (and one at the end of the first track), but the face is certainly the most exciting of them all.

After I had the wav-file, I used a program called Spectrogram to visualize the file. To my amazement, it worked, and I was soon staring at the "demon" face"
aphex_demon.png

"I was, however, not content with this. Why would the good ol' Twin have added a "demon" face into one of his tracks? I mean, the man does have a weird sense of humor, but I always thought demons were more up BoC's alley...

While examining the image, I came to the conclusion that something was not right. So I started messing around with the settings of the spectrograph program, and after a bit of knob twiddling the mystery revealed itself: the face was supposed to be watched with a logarithmic frequency scale, not with a linear scale.

A linear scale provided the "demon face", but with a logarithmic scale the end results were quite different"

aphex.png

Apparently these audio images are on a number of recordings. I wonder how many will be found? I tried this out myself and can certify that it isn't a load of shit XD

aphex_spiral.png

spiral at the end of track #1 on Aphex Twin's "Windowlicker"

plaid.png

Plaid's "3recurring" from "Rest Proof Clockwork"

venetian_snares_look.png

Venetian Snares' "Look" from "Songs about my Cats"

:fsu:

G

obviously there's a program that does what you're doing, but in reverse.

something that takes an image/video and creates the sound waves accordingly........

Milky

User Name said:
obviously there's a program that does what you're doing, but in reverse.

something that takes an image/video and creates the sound waves accordingly........

Yeah, I wasn't proposing that these images magically appeaered XD Read the site I linked all that from and it has a more in depth explaination than what I posted.