What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's The Oldest Clone in Your Stable?

George

I have a JH cut that I've had since around '02, I think it might be the one called 'jack flash'. She's an amazing breeder, always throws her best traits into whatever male you cross her with. If anyone else has this cut, I highly recommend you get seeds off her.

It is hard to keep cuts alive for years. Those of us who have are displaying good growing skills no doubt. My advice is don't try to do it alone. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket, spread those cuts far and wide! That way, when the inevitable happens, and it WILL, you can get the cut back from your friends.

On clones changing over time...they don't. End of discussion.

She look like this? Squat NL leaner finishes in 8ish, very little stretch, more limey very bright jack smell, can kind of pod out if done up right? Can be quite skunky in soil vs coco

2-BE5-A348-760-E-45-BC-A04-E-B7-E1-CC48-EE7-E.jpg

Different run. Not as good as upper pic

D15-F282-D-FFB0-4-F92-89-AC-345-E373-BD7-A5.png

LostTribe

Premium user
ive got the

exodus cheese 80s/90s
bluez/liverz 80s/90s
amnesia core cut 80s/90s
chem91 skunkva early 90s?
cherry ak47 (debatable) 90s

im a fan of the skunks.. some of the best terps ive had have come from skunk being in their lineage...

Please show this Cherry AK-47 you speak of! I remember when Serious actually had great stuff. I ran a sweet Cherry Pheno from them around the time Nebu(OG) also found one and I believe he used it in his Black Russian. We spoke at length about them on OG. That was my first real fantastic homegrown around y2k.

Best,
LT

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I will not say bullshit but how were the clones maintained pre halide lights being used? 1970-1972 there were no good lights to use until after "How to grow marijuana indoors under light" 1973 by Murphy Stevens and 'A Guide to growing Cannabis under Fluorescents" by C.E.Faber 1974, But if you have ever tried to grow bud under fluorescents it is an uphill fight.They did use the Gro-lux or the better Gro-lux WS, much better than Incandescent lights for sure.
But it was metal Halides and the later HPS lights that made the indoor industry a reality. And they were not around in the early 1970's by 1975 the best you could use was a Very High Output Gro-Lux Fluorescent until Halides were first used a few years later. By the 1980's indoor growing was well established, but even then few people managed to keep clones alive from the 1980's but I am sure a few did. Another problem is if/when the plant picks up a virus or bacterial or fungal disease which can cause the plant and clones taken from that infected mother to become a poor performer even if it was a great clone for years. I do agree that a clone from a clone from a clone from a clone seems to have no negative effects on a clone or its performance as long as they are kept free of viruses, bacterial or fungal diseases, which is hard to do for 30+ years.
Where are the photos? Excuse my skepticism.
The same poster also says 100 million year old Cannabis seeds can be sprouted??? Again Excuse my skepticism.
I do have 25 to 30 year old clones that were maintained and still perform the same, but I have lost a few that got diseases, luckily I normally kept multiple copies of mothers in case one did get a disease I just tossed it.
All of the problem insects carry viruses, like aphids, mites, thrips, leafhoppers, whiteflies, beetles, weevils, crickets, caterpillars, nematodes, leaf-miners, mealybugs, fungus gnats, springtails, earwigs, and a few more...
You must control pests if you want to maintain clone mothers for very long and keep them disease-free.
-SamS

Heck pot seeds have lived through at least a 100 million ice ages,

I have a 1 male + 2 female Colombian Gold landrace cuts, that were gifted to me in 1976, but they are all 1970 cuts. Then I have a 1971 Afghani landrace female cut that was also gifted to me from the same guy who gifted me the 1970 Colombian Gold landrace cuts. Anyhow... as for the Afghani landrace female cut, that came from "The Brotherhood of Eternal Love", supposedly one of the Afghanistan born Tohki brothers brought it over to the U.S. while working at the Afghanistan Consulate in late 1971, and then one of them gifted it to someone in "The Brotherhood of Eternal Love" in early 1972, and it was gifted to many people before that group was disbanded because of a major drug bust.... and I have been repeatedly told that the first Northern Lights plant was a offspring of that Afghani landrace female cut, and that same Afghani landrace female cut had something to do with the original Bubble Gum, as I understand it, the original Northern Lights came from a cross between that Afghani landrace female cut and a male Thai landrace cut and the original Bubble Gum came from that same Afghani landrace female cut crossed with a male Colombian Gold landrace cut. I also have lots of other 70(s) cuts, like the original Bubble Gum before it was sadly crossed in New England because they didn't have the original male any longer, which I still have, Lambs Breath, and Panama Red just to name a few.

Last edited:

anon710

I will not say bullshit but how were the clones maintained pre halide lights being used? 1970-1972 there were no good lights to use until after "How to grow marijuana indoors under light" 1973 by Murphy Stevens and 'A Guide to growing Cannabis under Fluorescents" by C.E.Faber 1974, But if you have ever tried to grow bud under fluorescents it is an uphill fight.They did use the Gro-lux or the better Gro-lux WS, much better than Incandescent lights for sure.
But it was metal Halides and the later HPS lights that made the indoor industry a reality. And they were not around in the early 1970's by 1975 the best you could use was a Very High Output Gro-Lux Fluorescent until Halides were first used a few years later. By the 1980's indoor growing was well established, but even then few people managed to keep clones alive from the 1980's but I am sure a few did. Another problem is if/when the plant picks up a virus or bacterial or fungal disease which can cause the plant and clones taken from that infected mother to become a poor performer even if it was a great clone for years. I do agree that a clone from a clone from a clone from a clone seems to have no negative effects on a clone or its performance as long as they are kept free of viruses, bacterial or fungal diseases, which is hard to do for 30+ years.
The same poster also says 100 million year old Cannabis seeds can be sprouted??? Again Excuse my skepticism.
I do have 25 to 30 year old clones that were maintained and still perform the same, but I have lost a few that got diseases, luckily I normally kept multiple copies of mothers in case one did get a disease I just tossed it.
All of the problem insects carry viruses, like aphids, mites, thrips, leafhoppers, whiteflies, beetles, weevils, crickets, caterpillars, nematodes, leaf-miners, mealybugs, fungus gnats, springtails, earwigs, and a few more...
You must control pests if you want to maintain clone mothers for very long and keep them disease-free.
-SamS

dropping great knowledge thanks

amnesia core cut 80s/90s

I don't think the amnesia core cut is that old? I'd date it early 2000s.

Another problem is if/when the plant picks up a virus or bacterial or fungal disease which can cause the plant and clones taken from that infected mother to become a poor performer even if it was a great clone for years.

I agree with you. Just recently I got back an old clone I used to grow a few years ago. Unluckily in bad condition with mildew and broad mites (which can be a vector for other diseases). Seems like it lost quite some of its vigour.

CaptainDankness

-SamS
Could it be possible someone grew weed with fluorescent lights before the authors release date? I think the author at least knew someone who tried it. Flowering under fluorescent lights sucks, but veg works alright.

It's definitely possible just very unlikely. Also I think he was just claiming marijuana seeds can survive an ice age which is proven by freezing seeds long term.

Booyah!

Pure Kush Topanga. Its only been a bit over a year but everything else got dumped. Bred my main Kush line into it and so far the offspring have been pure gold. Cant wait to get sorting through the BX and the F2 generation. I know the clone itself goes right back to the beginings of the kush era.

G

I’m such a rookie at the mom side of things. My first mom is just this month a one year old Headbanger. Gotta start somewhere. Plus a GorillaBubble and a recently acquired Super Lemon Haze. Hope to get a couple more soon from a trade. One I have wanted for quite a while.
I listen to the wisdom of the ones who have been at it for a while and keep 2 of each in separate boxes. Or at least I’m working on it.