What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What would these seeds be called?

Satans pal

Received a pack of LSD from SD, grew out 4, got 2f and 2m, pollinated part of a f. Looks like I will have a decent # of seeds from this, but I am not sure what they would be called(f2's?). If I remember right, there was a thread on OG about the breakdown of crosses and back-crosses with some inbreeding in there, does anyone know the thread? Thanks, SP

G

You just did some stabilzing there. They will be called F2's. It just a backcross. Same Strain.

Blatant

ezozo

Blatant said:
You just did some stabilzing there. They will be called F2's. It just a backcross. Same Strain.

Blatant

No No it's not backcross, backcross is if he take LSD and cross it back to one of his parent .
and No it's not stabilzing, it's just F2 and they are less stabilize then the F1 but the "grandson" also will be 25% more in the NYCD and 25% LifeSaver and 50% in the middle can be very good.
if the mother and the father was good.

enjoy your seeds,
zozo

Satans pal

So a backcross would be if I took one of my seeds grew it out to find a male then pollinated the mom as long as I had a clone? Now what if I still had some pollen from the dad and pollinated a female from my made seeds? Also what if I took 2 of my made seeds and crossed them?

Satans pal

So since this is the breeding forum, if anyone can answer my questions I would greatly appreciate it. I am really curious and want to understand the breeding process. Maybe if JLP reads this or another breeder they could give me their insight. All responses are welcome. Thanks, SP

ezozo

If you grow your new seeds and find good male and then pollinated you mom or better a clone from your best LSD mom then you are doing backcross.
If you have a good mom and you are selecting the male (even if you have only 5 males it will be good) the the 3 generation will be more stable and more like the mom.
you can see what Rezdog is doing with his great Sour Diesel, he have a great mom and he backcross to the mom (clones) now the 3 generation BX3 (BX 3.5 I think the 1/2 is because the first time it was NYCD that include Sour Diesel).
then now BX2.5 is more like the mom then BX1.5 and so on.

hope this is your Q

and don't forget it's important to have very good mom otherwise is not worth the work.

PS you will get good result even with these seeds and you can cross them to others with out any problem.
If you are not going to sale them you will have very nice plants anyway.

enjoy,
zozo

when ever you cross plants of the same genetic 's (strain) you get an F2's

only when the cross is from plants that are all genetically different between them you will get an F1

if the seeds came from an original IBL mother and father , you will have an F1 hybrid , breeding takes growing alot of plants , you want a mother that has that special potentcy , structure , taste , and aroma ,

the father has to be your best plant that grows and mature's fast , since males mature way before females ,

hope this helps a little

deZerTomB

so if you cross a strong male with different good female clones, then those seeds will have more traits of the female, male, in between or some of each?

phillykid

It should have some traits of each but it's luck of the draw with genetics. Most genes are independently assorted and have a dominant allele and recessive allele. During the production of gametes (germ line cells, or sex cells like for humans it'd be sperm and ova) the chromosomes are replicated so from 2n number you'd have 4n. Then they undergo division each getting one of the chromosomes in meiosis I. Now you have 2n then there's another round of division to get n. So with n you have one allele for a given gene. Then when the 2 sex gametes fuse for fertilization you get half alleles from one parent and half from the other. But depending on which egg got fertilized by which sperm you'll have different makeups of alleles.

Say you have a trait called (t) we use T for dominant, t for recessive
if one parent is Tt and the other is Tt than you could get TT(25%), Tt(50%), tt(25%). If you have a parent TT X tt you'd end up with Tt because you'd only be able to get T from one parent and t from the other. Then there's more complications when not talking about mendalian genetics (ie sex linked genes, codominance etc)

I think for any serious breeder or even someone who takes their hobby very seriously, they should at least learn the very basics of genetics.

peace

deZerTomB

thanks.

I'm not a serious breeder, just trying to keep up my personal stash.

I'm growing some home crosses right now. not much variation, but they're still small.

I also used seeds from a mega mix, so I don't even know exactly what they are. 8+)

But I can't quite keep up by cloning. Every time I get the clones going good, something happens, weather change, too wet, too dry, etc. So i make some seeds to fill in and then I get more males to select to pollinate my best female clones that survive, hehe. So I've managed to keep 3 good different clones and then I've got 4or 5 different kinds of crossed seeds growing out. So I have some seeds from mothers that I no longer deemed worth keeping andsome seeds from the keepers. So that's why I wanted to know because I read somewhere that 1st generation tend to favor the mother over the father.

Time will tell. I'll start to flower the first new seed in 2 weeks or so, and I am anxious to see how they will turn out. patience!!!

thanks again.