What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Type of Panel Is This?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is a link to one. Note the number beside the 14,12 and 10 gauge wires - it refers to the fine print note at the bottom of the table that rolls back the allowable amperage for those conductors.

http://lugsdirect.com/WireCurrentAmpacitiesNEC-Table-301-16.htm

The NEC is about the least user friendly document on the face of the earth, and not well suited for usage by non-electricians. There are exceptions to damn near everything, and usually exceptions to the exceptions.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I mgoing to start a new thread with this.. If Blaze could make it a sticky :)

Last edited:

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
It wouldn't be a bad thing to post that up in a new thread and make it a sticky just for reference purposes to prevent any further confusion on subjects like this which when it comes down to it. Requires valid information that has been gone over with fine tooth comb. Because electricity is dangerous and information given needs to be solid when helping others on a forum like this.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=117867

:tiphat:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I fixed the link, HH. The thread that Joe posted is a good one, if memory serves. I was trying to edit the last post when you were posting, but for some reason editing is hit or miss on my new laptop. Goodnight, folks.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That thread says 6g 60a and 6g 50a. The link rives put up says 55a for 6g man you talk about confusing..

hammalamma

Veteran
Rives knows his shit, all his info is dead right. I did commercial electrical work for two years. He has said everything I would have. Everyone who is planning on doing their own electrical should get an Uglys' guide book, they are like ten bucks at home depot and answer all these questions and more.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That thread says 6g 60a and 6g 50a. The link rives put up says 55a for 6g man you talk about confusing..

The insulation is the determining factor - the higher temperature that it is rated for, the higher the ampacity of a given wire size. TW is an older insulation that isn't capable of withstanding much heat and that is why it has a lower rating. THHN is a much newer, thermoplastic insulation with a mylar jacket. It is commonly used in industrial applications where groups of single-conductor wire is pulled into conduit, and it has a much higher temperature rating. However, the notes that I mentioned above over-rule the higher rating in the smaller gauge wire.

Latest posts

Latest posts