What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What TDS Meter Would You Recommend For Checking PPM of 30 Gallon Reservoir?

MajorGrindage

I dont need anything fancy like a bluelabs, but if you guys think something like a bluelabs guardian is the best then id consider buying one.

Even just a simple TDS pen would be fine with me, i just want to make sure i get a brand/model that has been proven to give accurate reading.

I have heard Apera makes good pens, but there are so many model numbers im not sure which one to get.

Thanks in advance for any help, it is much appreciated!

MajorGrindage

bluelab truncheon is my pick. It's rugged and very durable, never needs calibration.
I went ahead and bought one of the truncheons.

I have 2 questions for you if you dont mind:

1.Do you clean it regularly, and if so, how? I found this bluelab cleaning kit: https://bluelab.com/usa/bluelab-probe-care-kit-conductivity do you think that is the best option for cleaning it?

2. You mentioned never needing to calibrate it. Do you not even need to calibrate the truncheon when you get it at first? Does it come calibrated and stay calibrated?

Thank you so much for the help! I have confidence the truncheon is going to be a great pen.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hanna is one of the best in the market. I use Hanna for all my EC/PH needs. Some portable EC/PPM meters don't require Calibration ever, truncheon is one of them. There is a knockoff that's less than half the cost(Nutra Wand). Both are large 12" long. Cleaning depends on the model. Soft cloth/soap/Q-Tips. . I prefer smaller meters. Bluelab PENCON is smaller. Requires cal.. I have one of these as well for back up.

Hanna Instruments HI98304

Last edited:

kalopatchkid

Veteran
I went ahead and bought one of the truncheons.

I have 2 questions for you if you dont mind:

1.Do you clean it regularly, and if so, how? I found this bluelab cleaning kit: https://bluelab.com/usa/bluelab-probe-care-kit-conductivity do you think that is the best option for cleaning it?

2. You mentioned never needing to calibrate it. Do you not even need to calibrate the truncheon when you get it at first? Does it come calibrated and stay calibrated?

Thank you so much for the help! I have confidence the truncheon is going to be a great pen.
Those cleaning kits are for the pen style EC meters, with the truncheon I just use an old toothbrush every so often. It needs very little maintenance, just don't let batteries get old and leak inside of the thing.

And yep, the bluelab truncheon comes already calibrated and there is not even a calibrating function on it, so you don't have to worry.

Also, keep in mind TDS meters don't actually measure "Total Dissolved Solids," They all measure EC and convert it to PPM and some things you might give to your plants will not affect the conductivity of water. People get this wrong about TDS meters all the time on weed forums.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm *still* using an HM meter from 5 years ago. Works great and, cost me under $20. It's the second one I've purchased in the last 15 years, because the first one lasted almost 10 years.

Look up "HM tds" on Amazon, they're still way under $20. ;)

Last edited:

CocoNut 420

The blue lab ec truncheon is solid buy they're very reliable.

you can use vim/cif scouring cream to clean the probes, give them a light rub with some on a clean cloth and rinse it off.

Latest posts

Latest posts