What's new

What OD temps do u wait for?

F2F

Hello all,

I’m getting real itchy here. :) curious, what do you all think is best as far as minimum night and daytime temperatures?

I manage my seedlings in a cold frame starting early April usually, but lots of years wonder if I actually gain anything vs cracking late April (temps rise ~10deg F over the month).

picture.php

Take care and bless,
F2F

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When the ground is about 50F, late April. Start them in 2 gallon containers to transplant. Similar to tomatoes, a warm season vine- same goes for cannabis.

We're still getting 28F-34F at night, air temp. Just put in carrots, radishes, mustard and lettuce in today during STAY@HOME order.

moritzst

put them out early, some strains start to flower..even beginn of may... relax, june is coming... ;)

F2F

Patience!

Patience!

put them out early, some strains start to flower..even beginn of may... relax, june is coming... ;)

Thanks for the throttle back Moritzst. I always get this way in the spring. :) My sat dom strains haven’t done this to me yet when I get them outdoors right after germ - touch wood - but def have triggered flowering when I have under >16hr light inside then move out too early! Been there/done that.

Cheers
F2F

T

TakenByTheSky

Not so much the temp but the hours of daylight so they don't start flowering. Up here in the USA I don't put them out side until the end of May

Koondense

Veteran
At least may 15th or later, the photoperiod matters most.
Temperatures should be ok in may.

Cheers

St. Phatty

Hello all,

I’m getting real itchy here. :) curious, what do you all think is best as far as minimum night and daytime temperatures?

I have to settle for a lack of freezing temps ... but temps are still going into the freezing.

Got 3 girls & 1 hermie in the closet, making seeds that will be my "2020 project". I suspect that the seeds will be OK, normal females.

AND got 100% rooting on the clones - for the Hermie and the 3 girls !!!

Going to FEED THE DEER big-time. planting on top of the septic field so they get lots of nitrogen.

F2F

Photoperiod impact from seed?

Photoperiod impact from seed?

At least may 15th or later, the photoperiod matters most.
Temperatures should be ok in may.

Cheers

Not so much the temp but the hours of daylight so they don't start flowering. Up here in the USA I don't put them out side until the end of May

Thanks both for these comments - When I sow directly into my OD plots mid-Apr seemed no issue with early flowering, just risking the odd late frost/snow etc.

Now I’m on to more $$ genetics so need to ensure germ and baby them ~6wks. Given every plant is an individual there’s no way to predict, but have you had or seen flowering issues when sowing sats OD too early (mid Apr 38N here)?

Thanks in advance!
F2F

therevverend

Veteran
In a cold frame they'll do fine as long as there's not a hard frost. In my area a friend has seedlings sprouting in his cold frame, lows 2-5 degrees C, highs 8-12 degrees C. (35-42 degrees F, 47-55 degrees F) Of course the temperatures in his cold frame are much warmer, over 20 degrees C, 70 degrees F, daily. This is important for sprouting seeds, once they sprout they can take the cold as long as it doesn't freeze. Weather is cloudy and rainy to partly cloudy.

I keep my newly sprouted seedlings on the south side of a building. The building absorbs heat during the day and radiates it at night. It's still cold, of course it's not ideal. My seedlings are showing some colors, purples, blues, yellows, and reds but they're healthy and thriving.

Besides getting my plants bigger, the other reason to start seedlings early in natural light is to pre-sex. Most of my females and quite a few males will show sex in mid May-mid June. This way I can get them sexed and in the ground early without resorting to clones or feminized seeds. If I was using clones I'd wait until May.

F2F

I keep my newly sprouted seedlings on the south side of a building. The building absorbs heat during the day and radiates it at night.

Same here :biggrin: right next to foundation of the house.

the other reason to start seedlings early in natural light is to pre-sex. Most of my females and quite a few males will show sex in mid May-mid June.

THIS ^^^ could help me immensely. I’d always transplanted by mid-May and just waited for flowering to start before moving select males or culling unwanted males. Would save me lots of precious space in my plot by shuttling early-showing plants to their final resting place the first time.

Cheers TR,
F2F

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm just doing similar math. We are locked down, without even a review for 3 weeks. It's 8 weeks till I traditionally move them out to my sites, but don't feel in any rush. My chance to take cuttings that become mums is right now though, so as I type I'm deciding just 3 mums will be plenty big enough by the time I can see any light in my tunnel. But they are no longer squatting, they will need housing to keep out my indoor grows grow chamber.

I guess what I'm saying, is will the law be an extra complication for your calendar

therevverend

Veteran
THIS ^^^ could help me immensely. I’d always transplanted by mid-May and just waited for flowering to start before moving select males or culling unwanted males. Would save me lots of precious space in my plot by shuttling early-showing plants to their final resting place the first time.

A big part of the trick is that females are much more likely to toss a few pre-flowers then males. Once they get close to a meter tall female plants usually show. Sometimes a loupe or magnifying glass helps. All it takes is one tiny hair to sex a plant.

The down side is the males that show usually go full on into flowering. I almost always cull them. On the one hand I usually assume they've got hempy, Auto-flowering type genes that aren't worth messing with, on the other hand the pollen is too early to use. Even if you store it there's 3 months before you can use it on your flowering females. Occasionally there's a special male that goes off and it's disappointing unless you can freeze the pollen or reverse the male.

Usually you end up with a group of plants, slowly getting reduced as the females show and are moved out. Every day that passes you can assume the remaining plants are more likely to be male, usually confirmed by look and smell. There's always a few that are fence sitters, just won't show, 4 out of 5 are male but you don't want to cull a female. Makes for hard decisions. I've wondered if this early sexing artificially selects for weak traits, if it does I haven't noticed any. If anything it selects for early sexing.

I guess what I'm saying, is will the law be an extra complication for your calendar

Always a good reason if it's a concern not to move 'em out to your patch until late May/early June.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
LOL

Figured I'd toss a male outside yesterday, since I want to harvest a LOT of unopened pollen pods. Today it's snowing. lol Yesterday's temps were fine, but it's rather iffy on freezing around here till almost June. lol

Good luck!

F2F

Hey TR,

You got me remembering when I once vegged (18hrs light) 8wks indoors and triggered flowering when I moved them outside (newbie mistake).

Maybe I’ll try and grab a couple cuts as early as possible and throw them into flowering inside. It’ll be a race to see if the cuts show by the time I need to move out to the plot.

Thanks for the well wishes Douglas. I know what ya mean, hit 77F yesterday but had helluva hail storm this morning. Seasons can be a rodeo for some of us!

Cheers
F2F

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Want to save resources for your females? Get rid of males as early as possible?

Label your plants very well. As soon as possible, take cuttings from each and label those very well. Root the cuttings under 12/12 lighting and you'll know the sex in 2-3 weeks. You'll also have re-veg clones for later use. :)

F2F

Hiya Douglas,

Had to laugh a bit at “label plants very well”. I’m sure many of us have been there.

Yep, exactly what I was thinking but wondered how fast they’d show as I’m foreseeing the cuts would come from a very young mum or papa.

I’d like to have things in the ground by mid May meaning cuts would need to be taken 3rd or 4th wk Apr. not popping beans until ~Apr 6 or so. We shall see if time and growth rate works out!

Best
F2F

Latest posts

Latest posts