What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What music are you listening to?

moose eater

Not Whitehorse, as in Canada's Yukon Territory, but another 'White Horse'.

MH is yet another song-writer with a unique voice that ends up being more or less an identifiable trademark of sorts. Not unlike Kris Kristofferson.

A sense of humor, to boot. He's also taken part in supporting and playing for a fund-raiser for the homeless in North Carolina for a few years now, too.

Got turned onto him when I ran into a member of a band who's a guitarist I've known locally for many years when I was in the liquor store the other evening.

I let the guitarist know that I'd also posted some of his current band's stuff here at ICMag, as well. He was thankful for the exposure.

Last edited:

moose eater

The band the guitarist is a member of. One of their CDs they spent a lot of time and money producing in the studio, and it sounds like it.. A favorite tune off that album. Local band categorized as 'rock-a-billy, but often something more unique than that.

moose eater

Nice, melodic, mellow, rolling...fkn tight song, thnx moose
Keyboards were dubbed in from afar on this CD by a former Fairbanksan living in Oregon, who was a Dead Head acquaintance who once tried out for the then-vacant keyboard spot with the Dead, using a Hammond B-3 for the try-out. He's the fellow I wrote about having a 1,000,000-point cribbage game going with the fellow who died tragically up in the Brooks Range in November or December of 1981. (*See Hammer's mass shooting thread).

Drummer on this album is a former boiler engineer at University of Alaska-Fairbanks, who also played with a 3-piece band called, 'Gangly Moose'. Last I heard he was in the Mid-West Lower-48. Very nice and talented fellow. Gangly Moose helped play for our fund-raisers for legalization in 2000 and 2004.

At least 2 of the members during this CD's making were/are local school teachers, including Steve Brown. As a result they were reluctant to play for the legalization gigs.

The fellow on steel slide (and mandolin on other CDs/tunes) is an older, long-time Fairbanksan who's a very accomplished musician locally..

These days they have a bass player who's an incredibly wonderful woman, one of those persons who glows, who also teaches bass and banjo, as well as being a part of the recording studio where this CD was recorded.

Last edited: