What's new

What light trap do you use? D.I.Y., acme, breathable wall, alibaba

Deezl

No responses on my alibaba light trap thread so I thought I'd try a more general one.
Anyone use light traps?
Breathable wall, acme, alibaba, diy?
School me!

nicko0

hey im working on the same thing. those breathable walls are way too expensive. you saw them on alibaba? could you post a link? i built a few sections of breathable wall by folding construction paper into big zigzags same scale as bresthable wall. and used spray foam to mount them together. they work well but the flexablleness of the papaer allows them to colapse if the flow of air is too strong. thereds this black corugated roofing material called endura. i think one sheet could be cut up to make one 200 by 20 inch section. i wish i could find some really chesp currugated black plastic like bresthable wall uses. reminder about that alibaba link

Speed of green

I have a home made swamp cooler on one end 15'x3' Cost me about $350 to build.

the other end i have two 24" fans with home made light traps. i had my local sheet metal shop bend me up 24 panels /\/\/\/\ shaped like this , i drilled four holes in each panel and got some threaded rod with 7/8" spacers from home depot, stacked up the panels with spacers on the rods like a Ke-bob. i wrapped this whole contraption in a sheet metal shroud with the fan inside. cost me about $85 in material.

The light traps i made are basically the same as farmtek and alibaba, thats where i got the design from. I'm sure theirs flow air better, but i have oversized fans so its not an issue.

Speed of green

The pads come in a variety of thicknesses, 2,4,6,8,12 and so on. I chose the 6" version, it has a black rubber coating on one side. I painted the other side with two coats of killz and it works for me. There was a faint glow in full sun with the tarp pulled, so now i have a 3' eave over the pads to stop any direct sunlight.

The pre made evaporative cooler i cannot attest to quality or light proofing.

i think if you went with a thicker pad you wouldn't need any of the extra stuff i did.

I am building more greenhouses starting in feb, i plan on documenting everything here on icmag. this will definitely be covered.

CrushnYuba

Haven't they been using light traps for chicken coops forever? Might be cheaper to buy as that.
Speed of green: I would love to see that swamp cooler. What did you use for the bottom to collect water to run back through?
I been thinking about doing some diy swamp cooler for a while but I think high pressure fogger/mister Might be easier and more affective. Also would probably use less electricity.

CrushnYuba

Quick search shows dayton makes a
5ft x5ft for 500$ for poultry barn fans.
Those are less then half the price of farmtek.
We probably don't even need them that big

CrushnYuba

Earth tube? As in duct in the ground? It works. Basically the same as the s trap doubletripleog mentioned. Only thing is it doesn't push air easy. You got to use inline fans. Inline fans use allot of electricity and don't push air like gh fans. For a small dep it's cool. My girl friend is rocking it in her 20x40 auto dep but it kind of sucks for that size. We just had a bunch of 12" inlines from an indoor project. Passive intake with light trap is better

Deezl

I'll look up the alibaba light trap when I get home. You can find it by looking up the emerald kingdom one (I bought 2 24"ers) and doing an image search using the image on the emerald kingdom page. EK used the image directly from the alibaba page so the search will bring it up.

You'll feel like a cleaver hacker too.

Deezl

Also I tried to get Acme. I called a acme dealer and he tried to order me a light trap.
He got back to me and said that Acme had a good idea what I was gonna use it for and refused to fill the order!

Latest posts

Latest posts