What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the Hydrogen Rich compound that has the HIGHEST Melting Temperature ?

St. Phatty

What is the Hydrogen Rich compound that has the HIGHEST Melting Temperature ?

You can do a LOT with Hydrogen, even when it is in a slab of melted waste plastic.

Of course it doesn't work very well if your elaborate creation heats up at 212F or 100C.

I'm drawing a blank at finding Hydrogen rich chemicals with high melting points - so you can use them as construction materials.

* Polyethylene - (C2H4)n Melting point 115–135 °C, AKA 5 Gallon Bucket.

* Montan Wax - a fossilized plant wax. Its melting range is 82–95 °C.
"Montan wax, also known as lignite wax or OP wax, is a hard wax obtained by solvent extraction of certain types of lignite or brown coal"
Its composition is non-glyceride long-chain (C24–C30) carboxylic acid esters (62–68 weight %), free long-chain organic acids (22–26%), long-chain alcohols, ketones, and hydrocarbons (7–15%), and resins; it is in effect a fossilized plant wax. Its melting range is 82–95 °C.

* Torlon - One of the highest temp plastics is "Torlon", poly amide imide, "Torlon® polyamide-imide is recognized as the highest performance thermoplastic that is still melt processible."
Thermoplastic means, it can be injection molded.
"Depending on the grade, Torlon PAI offers a heat deflection temperature of up to 539°F (282°C), and affords unparalleled strength at high temperatures."

So I ask myself - what about ROCKS and Minerals that contain Hydrogen ?

Sandstone, "Sandstone is a clastic sedimentary rock composed mainly of sand-sized (0.0625 to 2 mm) silicate grains." Plenty of Silicon and Oxygen, Si02.
Marble ... "It is made of mostly Calcium carbonate (CaCo3) with minor amounts Silica, magnesium carbonate, Silica, Iron oxide, Aluminium oxide etc."
Granite ... "The chemical composition of granite is typically 70-77% silica, 11-13% alumina, 3-5% potassium oxide, 3-5% soda, 1% lime, 2-3% total iron, and less than 1% magnesia and titania."

Fossilized Tar, e.g. La Brea Tar Pits, "Tar is a dark brown or black viscous liquid of hydrocarbons and free carbon, obtained from a wide variety of organic materials through destructive distillation. Tar can be produced from coal, wood, petroleum, or peat.[1]"
That's a good combination of Elements ... but not a very high melting temp.

Petrified Wood ... "petrified wood, fossil formed by the invasion of minerals into cavities between and within cells of natural wood, usually by silica (silicon dioxide, SiO2) or calcite (calcium carbonate, CaCO3)."

So basically Torlon wins the contest. Hydrogen rich compound good to 500 F. It's richer in Carbon but has a fair amount of Hydrogen.

Anybody know any Hydrogen rich compounds with a Higher melting temp ?

Fossilized Bong Resin from the Cavemen in Mendocino or MesoPOTamia ? :groupwave:

shithawk420

Veteran
Wtf would you wanna know that and why would you be stupid enough to post it here? You trying to get this placed on a red flag asshole? Anybody with 2 braincells knows what happens when hydrogen collides with oxygen.fucks sakes

St. Phatty

Calcium hydride (CaH[SUB]2)[/SUB] has a melting point of 816 °C.

What did I win? :)

Actually I started looking into Metal Hydrides after posting that.

I'm familiar with rocks having Sulfides & Oxides, thought "well why not Hydrides".

Calcium Hydride might be the highest temp PRACTICAL hydrogen rich material. Will keep looking.

If I ever use it in a practical application I will send you some Med Bud or seeds, or donate to ICMag in your name.

St. Phatty

Why you looking for a high melting compound with hydrogen?

Designing Radiation resistant Electronics and Related Stuff.

Hydrogen stops Neutrons (or, technically, slows them down) better than almost every other material.

Even better than Graphite.

1000 times better than Steel or Lead (which are useful for Gamma Rays and X-Rays).

It works out that a slab of Hydrogen rich Polyethylene (same stuff 5 gallon buckets are made of) does a better job of protecting from some ionizing radiation than almost any other material.

But it helps if you can treat it like Aluminum or something, machine holes in it, attach cable clamps to it, etc.

Wax is often used as a radiation "sink" because it is Hydrogen rich. But it melts easy and you can't really tap holes in it. :skiiing:

troutman

Seed Whore
I hope your idea doesn't involve graphite rods, heavy water, centrifuge, flux capacitor, 1.21 gigawatts, and uranium. :hide:

St. Phatty

I hope your idea doesn't involve graphite rods, heavy water, centrifuge, flux capacitor, 1.21 gigawatts, and uranium. :hide:

That would be like mixing Badminton, Soccer, and Foosball.

I like Foosball !

I'm stuck between 2 possibilities -
Carbon & Hydrogen are easily flammable in an oxygen atmophere, so compounds made from them can never have a high melting temp.
OR
Among the thousands of rocks in the Geology world, some have a fair hydrogen content, and they do well at high temp.

This NASA pdf explains Radiation Protection -
"Surprisingly, heavier elements such as lead produce more secondary radiation than lighter elements such as carbon and hydrogen. Consequently, a great deal of research has been performed on a lightweight polyethylene plastic, called RFX1, which is composed entirely of lightweight carbon and hydrogen atoms. Research shows that polyethylene is 50% better at shielding solar flares and is 15% better at shielding galactic cosmic radiation as compared to aluminum. Water is another hydrogen-rich molecule that can absorb radiation. However, the oxygen content in water makes it a lot heavier than polyethylene, and therefore is much more expensive to launch."

So they might use Melted 5 gallon buckets to stop one kind of radiation, and lead sheet to stop another.

The thing you are trying to protect from radiation might be a person, or electronics, or even a pot plant growing on the ISS.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...tion_ebook.pdf

St. Phatty

Is it for neutron shielding? You Google that yet?

I'm sure some of those links get to the science.

First blurb does not.

"Neutron shielding materials are typically constructed from low atomic number elements (hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen) with high scattering cross sections that can effectively moderate or thermalize incident neutrons."

Oxygen has a LOW scattering cross section.

It is of no use in protecting from neutrons.

For other heavy ions, you have to have a table of cross sections, for each specific heavy ion. (flying through space.)

if you were on the ISS, and were offered a choice of a Bunk, between 2 Oxygen tanks, and 2 slabs of Carbon and Hydrogen rich materials, it would be prudent to go for the bunk with the Carbon-Hydrogen protection.

Same for protection of Electronics.

The NIST list for cross sections of Neutron.

https://www.nist.gov/ncnr/neutron-scattering-lengths-list

Latest posts

Latest posts