What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is Colombian Gold 🟡 to you?

funkyhorse

The line "'72" released by USC was Rahan's and friend's work from Luiz's BSC ;)

And the same with USC Coljam, from Rahan's work again!

Not surprising that the Vibes Collective collapsed then! :bandit:
Thank you very much for this post, now I understand what I grew
JGL used 2 different cultivars called "colombian gold"
CG72 which is a long flowering sativa 128 days indoors, you can check it in french
https://fr.seedfinder.eu/strain-info/Colombian_Gold_72/Underground_Seeds_Collective/

Now if you see the BSC link you posted it is a fast flowering line of 9-10 weeks indoors. You usually dont need to check for mold on sativas but this one is telling you to look for mold
This cultivar JGL called "Colombian Gold 80s" or CG80

Now I grew Coljam twice. They made 2 versions of it
This description https://fr.seedfinder.eu/strain-info/Coljam/Underground_Seeds_Collective/
and what you have posted from John Public seems to be the first edition which I didnt get.
I grew the second version which is a backcross to this "CG80" cultivar which now I understand is the one coming from Luiz
What I grew is clearly indica x sativa hybrid

The one from Luiz BSC is not colombian, is not sativa, is not from 1980 and shouldnt be called Colombian Gold. You can call it Tico Gold, Cripi Gold, Costa Rica Platinum or Buceta da mae do Luiz Gold. You can choose whatever creative name you fancy

If what is coming from Huesos is the same source as this stock from John Public/JGL and comes from Luiz BSC as well then I think all this credit thing is flawed and you should stop crediting

What is certain is if Luiz BSC is the source of building blocks then it is all tainted, it is not reliable and the best you can do is desintegrate the whole collective and start from scratch.
And hopefully you all have learnt from the mistakes of the past and will not commit same mistakes again
Some things are worth preserving some are not.
Why would you waste time, effort, resources, energy and money in preserving something that is not worth it? Only for commercial reasons. Commercial reasons and preservation dont go hand in hand
So hopefully you can have your goals better targeted and see what you want to do

The sativa legacy is an absolute disaster

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
The sativa legacy is an absolute disaster

Lol you just insult all preservers, what i find disaster is your lack of respect for the plant and your ability to make judgment from just few seeds with really bad grow conditions, cannabis looks really not happy in your hut sorry so your bad and pathetic results are just simply proportional.

100% sativa with exotic taste of mint. Takes 6 months to finalize
That's BSC's description of Colombian Gold!

And just knowing that from a good really pure sat batch of seeds you can have recessive Black/Red/Gold/Green variation with 14 like 24 weekers pheno/genotypes in the same line. :crazy:

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I thought Luiz was known to lie about his genetics....and may even have been responsible for people getting in trouble after he kept selling seeds after he got in trouble

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
I don't think that Luiz lied about his genetics, simply some misinterpretations from uneducated growers i think. Internet is full of fake snowball effect ^^

Luiz's problem is imho more related to his great success at the time, well deserved btw! But ya know money change man like perversion, by hoping he is safe and fine in the great Brazil, much respect brotha pure sat hero!

(I suspect that himself has been ripped off by postman or "friends")

Last edited:

Rgd

Veteran
there was the earlier and more rare Colombian gold that took longer to flower was all sativa early in the 70’s

then there was more prevalent late 70’s on.. chunkier Colombian Gold also from Colombia that was

hybridized with wld..

came in tight bales..was darn good commercial weed but had sedation the other didn't

but of course it was not the trip weed of the old longer flower Colombian Gold

I can remember being El Rododero and having the joint go out in my hand many times while my mind

tripped to cosmic fun land...though I must admit smoking weed in Colombia was a scary thing anyway

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
there was the earlier and more rare Colombian gold that took longer to flower was all sativa early in the 70’s

then there was more prevalent late 70’s on.. chunkier Colombia Gold also from Colombia that was

hybridized with wld..

I think that's pure sat Colombian Black and not hybrided with indica! Just special adapted line from high elevation ;)

Last edited:

OldCoolSativa

Reeferman and Luiz have both sold seeds that I'd love to grow. And they both have bad reputations. I've been ripped off by Luiz; maybe I would have been ripped off by Reeferman too but I never tried to buy anything from him. From my perspective it's disingenuous to mention them both on the same page while calling one a "pure sat hero" and labelling the other as an unreliable producer of bullshit indica polyhybrids. Reeferman gave Nevil his Swiss Thai, while Luiz sent me a polyhybrid junk freebie along with 1/5 of the seeds he promised. I guess he gets a free pass because he was affiliated with the Vibes collective? I have a lot of respect for what that group did, but all its members weren't pure as the driven snow.

Gry

The first stuff that came in mid seventies was the highest quality, it slowly tapered down quality wise.
There were a lot of the students attending American and Georgetown universities who were from
South of the border. It did not take long before it was rather abundant.
I recall ounces for 35 bucks back when Mex was 20 an ounce.
Was first exposed to it from a student at Georgetown who explained that he was able to bring
it up in his luggage as his pop was a diplomat.
For about a year or so the quality was just stunning, with it slowly tapering off to a more
commercial form that was still not bad at all.
Can recall hearing that it may have had it's roots in grows done by big pharma to test the quality of
product from various areas spotted by air near the coastal areas.
Really miss the cedar and incense with hints of pepper to it tastes.
Have always been a bit surprised not to have run across lines that
captures the kind of flavors that it used to deliver. The first stuff that
came over was like something out of a spice rack and it was amazing.
Feel fortunate to have been around in this era with respect to cannabis,
it has been really neat to see the quality go up with grow times being shortened,
I can't see how we could have what we do now without the shorter grow periods.
If I don't drool when spending time in Red Riders thread, I ought to ...

Last edited:

Crazy Chester

Anybody out there have personal experience with it? The older the better!

My experience with Colombian Gold came late in the game - a "dime" bag I bought in 1982 - close to the time it stopped being available in the USA. She had excellent smell, taste and euphoric high that made every object look brighter and more sharply defined. She also looked quite a bit like photo 25 that Rembetis posted. Definitely pure sativa in structure - very "airy" buds. Definitely yellow that looked gold-like due to the trichomes. Unfortunately, I threw out the seeds (and stems) that made up half the content of the bag. I have yet to grow what is available now as Colombian Gold as well - so, I don't know how she grows - but, I'd imagine she grows like most tropical pure sativas do.

^^ First I heard of Colombian for sale it was 1974 and was $40 for an ounce. It was more from other dealers, so wondering how you got it that cheap?
Fair question, the Columbian I was getting came directly from friends who were Colombian, immigrating to the Chicago area in the late 60s. The price I quoted was the norm until 72. Prices increased across the spectrum gradually. Around 74-75 a 4 finger oz was $30. Shipments came in 50 kilo grain bags via Florida.

romanoweed

Columbian collected 70s from Hyp3rids Instagram
Comes from actually another Source than him, anyway, i thought this one looks very good to me, said to have piney terps , flowers 22 weeks. Does this look right?

col1.jpeg

col2.jpeg

romanoweed

There was an old 70s Documentation/Movie, wellknown where they go down Southamerica with some "Columbian Gold" Footage if i rember correctly. Can we rule out that Columbian Gold was blue or reddish while growing?
Cause in that movie it was strictly green in vegetation.

I also imagine that Sun cured, or stemm-threated Weed with strong blue /red colors in veg. would turn grey, instead of Gold.