What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What eye protection to go for?

MD84

Just wondering what eye protection folk would recommend for a room with HPS/LED lighting? I'm finding that LED's cause me headaches and seem to affect the eyes quite quickly when in the groom. So do i go for LED glasses, HPS eye protection or just regular sunglasses? I'm leaning more towards the latter as i feel like they should have all round protection lol. But i'm sure someone will put me right.

Thanks in advance

goingrey

thanks for the interesting response. That would be the recommendation for both types of light?
For eye protection welding glasses are the best for LED, HPS, CMH...

The "HPS glasses" are color corrective if you want the growroom to look natural.

Depends on what you want, I suppose.

brickweeder

I use didymium because that's what I have that allows me to see....I have shade 9 welding lens, but those are way too dark, as are my shade 5 glasses. I am not sure how folks recommending welding glasses can see anything under LEDs...

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
420giveaway
Not familiar with this topic but i use normal sunglasses too with LED(and HPS back then), and i think most people do. What to filter that's not already in your life like lamps, displays(for hours!) etc.?

20221103_194932-01.jpeg
20221103_195609-01.jpeg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Just wear a baseball cap and don't look up into the lights. The same goes for the Sun too. 😎
Solid advice! Would probably have saved my head from many bumps into stuff as well if I wore a cap while checking the plants.
But modern leds are so powerful than even reflected light whitewashes everything you see for a while, so I would still wear my sunglasses under the cap.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Ive been in many a warehouse and greenhouse.

I like welding goggles. Level 5 for HID, level 4 for led.
I tried the glasses, but always got light coming in around the sides and gave me headaches.

Welding goggles were perfect and the lense flips up if you need an unfiltered view (IPM, trichomes)

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
420giveaway
I don't know if level 4 or 5 is better but why not just use the stronger level for both HID and LED?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
HIDs have a stronger center point source of light, so needs more shielding.
It makes sense when you compare them.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I have a question...

I have researched the subject and have a workable design for protective eye wear which allows you to see 100% true colors, while also keeping your eyes safe and healthy. The design is low tech, super low price, and based on proven concepts from the past and present. The downsides are it's ridiculously easy to duplicate so patent infringement would be a nightmare?

I do not have the money for anything to get this rolling, so I wonder if I should drop it, pursue it, or give it away? I'm open to suggestions where I make some money while also giving it away. lol Everyone should be able to naturally see their plants/work without room lighting causing issues.

Right?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
well, i would say you need to patent it if it's patentable, if not just try to pitch it to some solid investors and hope for the best.