What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do you guys think of this sift screen set?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I buy frames and silk screens from Dick Blick and assemble them myself. They are stupid simple to put together.

But those frames you've listed are cheaper than what I can put mine together for.

Between the frames, the silk screen, the tool, and the rope, I'm almost $200 in.

I can change out any of my screens for a different mesh size though. Something you would not be able to do.

SMDK

As above, I would also build my own, as I can target my micron screen sizes to work with.
Also the size of the actual tray can be modified to your liking upon build, square, rectangular, smaller or larger.

X

xavier7995

Those look nice, but I would want something bigger than 12x12. Like the tall sides.

Green Squall

Those look nice, but I would want something bigger than 12x12. Like the tall sides.

They have 12x18 as well for a little more money. Right now I'm actually considering a new set of bubble bags and a washing machine, since that's where most of my experience is. I guess I can still make some small amounts of dry sift with my little box I have and buy something cheap to clean it with, then I'll have the best of both worlds.With my outdoor harvest, there's lots of material to play with
biggrin.gif

F

Fermented

I checked out those screen frames.....while SS mesh is probably only slightly more durable than mono-filament synthetic mesh..I've used both types of mesh on numerous boxes and frames and good quality synthetic mono-filament mesh is very durable. If you drop a pair of scissors point down on both SS mesh and synthetic mesh, it's likely that both the SS and synthetic mesh will get holed at the same drop height, while steel mesh is stronger, it doesn't have any flex. SS mesh is really best suited to the top screen frame only as this is the only mesh that has to deal with sticks and branches, the lower screen frames are for making the sift purer.

He's also wrong with the scare tactic saying synthetic mesh will end up in with your resin. He must be talking about multi-filament thread mesh which can fray with use, but mono-filament mesh is what every company has been using since the 80's and this doesn't fray. is very durable unless you cut it with box cutters or drop something pointy and metal on it (and this equally applies to stainless steel meshes too, even more so if they are finer than 80 micron and are mounted extremely taut. If SS meshes are not stretched tight then are very resistant to getting "holed" but floppy SS meshes are terrible to sift with.

SS meshes work the same as synthetic meshes but are not as nice to work with. Using a card to resift resin over a synthetic mesh will feel and sound good but scraping a card over SS mesh makes a horrible metallic scraping sound, it doesn't feel good or have any "feel" (as there's no flex in the mesh) and the metal mesh will wear down the plastic card (and this is how you really would get plastic in your sift!) and that's why fine SS meshes are a poor choice for dry sifting.

You can make dry sift with Bubblebags too. Place 180 bag inside a 120 that is inside a 60 micron Bubble bag (and into a 25 micron bag too if you like) Place the aged, very cold, very dry plant material in the 180 bag, cinch the top of the bags and agitate in a cold, low RH room. When you break up the plant material prior to sifting, it's best to remove any woody parts of the material before sifting, especially the sharp, jagged broken bud stems which can put a hole in your mesh.

Another way to sift with Bubblebags is to cut the bottom off a bucket (then sand it smooth so there's no jagged edges), fit a 200 ~ 140 micron bag over the bucket and pull it tight then place this mesh bottom bucket into another bucket (that doesn't have the bottom cut out) and sift....actually there's lots of ways to use Bubblebags for dry sifting.

Last edited:
F

Fermented

With the same starting material, an expert could make really nice hash with an insect screen from your window and a screen printing frame from an arts & crafts shop while an inexperienced dry sifter might produce a lesser quality hash with the best set of dry sifting screen frames.

The technique and starting material are more important than the tools you use.....though a set of dry sifting screen frames (that were designed and built specifically to produce fine quality dry sifted resin : Bubbleman's set of wooden screen frames from a decade ago). They got right what every other copy cat set of frames didn't - the top frame is the work area and needs to have high sides for obvious reasons but the frames (with finer meshes) under that only need to have sides of 26mm/1". The frames also need to interconnect with each other for contamination will occur. They copied Bubbleman's mesh sizes, first with his Bubblebags and then with his dry sifting screens (i don't think he sells these wooden screens anymore, but has aluminum on his site).

With a bit of research in this hashish forum, every one will be able to make their own dry sifted (or other types of) hash that will zing their brains and wow their friends.

Happy Hashing!

Last edited: