What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do you feed your dog?

Dro Smoe

Depends on the dog.
My wife and I rescued and re-homed 52 dogs over the last 7 years and we saw a great variety in acceptable diets. They were the most receptive and healthiest with home prepped food, a mix of 50% meat, 25% rice and 25% carrots. Each breed and mutt handled different meats well. Our rottie (until he was poisoned to death a month ago) did the best with lamb, not so well with ground beef and ok with occasional chicken. No oatmeal or eggs for that guy, big no-nos.

Good Luck! :D

Aw that's terrible, sorry to hear that! What happened to the poor rottie, if you don't mind my asking?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Aw that's terrible, sorry to hear that! What happened to the poor rottie, if you don't mind my asking?
Bezt dog we've ever had. Ty for the sentiment.
Someone in the neighborhood. At least 3 other animals in the area died the same way. He was never let out of the yard without supervision, so it wasn't something he ate at random.

Dro Smoe

Bezt dog we've ever had. Ty for the sentiment.
Someone in the neighborhood. At least 3 other animals in the area died the same way. He was never let out of the yard without supervision, so it wasn't something he ate at random.

That's terrible. I don't understand what drives people to do such evil things to innocent animals, it truly disgusts me.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
That's terrible. I don't understand what drives people to do such evil things to innocent animals, it truly disgusts me.

they drive by & shoot innocent humans for living in the wrong neighborhood, or their skin color, or for not inviting them to a party, or the color of a handkerchief in their pocket. yet, it surprises you that they poison folks' pets? i don't understand either, not picking a fight.:comfort:

Absinthia

picture.php

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Honest Kitchen.... then of course she uses her magic powers to convince me the food on my own plate would taste good in her bowl also

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Earthborn Holistic, revolving bags and DIY with 1/4 chicken, beef or pork and 3/4's veggies/fruits instead of canned chemical laden dog food, sometimes adding quinoa or lentils cooked in meat broth.

Make a crock pot, then blenderize/freeze in snack packs. Best fruits/veggies for dogs: carrots, green beans, peas, squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, apples, berries. I stay away from corn myself, being a FrankenGrain (GMO).

Smokerman

Veteran
I used to feed my dog Hills Science until she got sick due to the recalled batches. That made me do a bit of research into how dog food is made which is disgusting.
So for the past 6 months or so I have made her food myself.
She has more energy as well as a softer coat. Last checkup vet said she seems in good health for 10 years old.
I actually have 2 crock pots on the go now, 1 chicken and 1 beef.
There’s dozens and dozens of recipes online.

'Boogieman'

I buy dog food and treats that are free from corn, wheat, or soy. I also like to give him raw eggs, chicken with nothing added and clean from bones, sweet potatoes, and salmon with no spices and clean from bones. I'm always looking for a decent brand of dog food because I like to switch things up so he doesn't get burned out eating the same thing all the time.

mexweed

Veteran
recently replaced his can of food with 1/2 lb chicken breast, 1/2 cup brown rice, a couple spoonfuls of carrots and green beans, I need to look into getting a vitamin pack to add but he's still getting 2 cups of his kibble so I'm not too worried about it

I bake the chicken, when it's done I make the rice, drain it and add the carrots and green beans with a splash of unsalted chicken stock, then I add the chicken and the pool of juice it made mix it up and simmer for about 10 minutes and let it cool

I started doing this because something was pretty much infecting his mouth as far as really bad plaque, based on the smell it was definitely coming from his canned food, I add a kelp/seaweed enzyme to his food too that is supposed to kill the bacteria, with his canned food there was reluctancy almost like he knew it was causing the problem

the difference is night and day, he is visibly more spry and excited about eating, has no problems chowing down on his kibble, and obviously loves the new food