What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do ants do to cannibus???

dogg

I've seen some ants on my flowering plants and I need some info on them.Are they good or bad.And I need some info on outdoor pest control.I already an using some neem oil, Which I have been using the whole time and I have someSERENADE garden diease control I have been using for about a month.I just want to read what others use and what is affective but still safe for flowering plants outside.The ants are mostly black but I have seen some red ones.You can also put a link or tell me where :smoker: to go find out moreHappy posting

G

i believe they just colle t the sweet sap that might ooze out of the knuckles.. no harm.. but spray neem if you really feel the need
EDIT-NEEM SHOULDNT BE USED ON FLOWERING PLANTS

bird

i used to think ants were ok in my pots, till some startd farmin shrooms and killd a couple plants. and ive heard tell of them farmin aphids too, but i havent seen them ones yet.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
i transplanted my plant outdoors in a mound of dirt. at first i thought it was a mole mound but later in the season it turned out to be an anthill. the plant, although it was a male, grew bigger and better then the others. it could be because of the extra oxigen to the roots.

G

Ants will become ranchers and entice the aphids to ooze Honeydew. This will rot stems and leaf matter as it blocks transpiration of moisture. To my knowledge Marijuana oozes no sap on its own unless the stalk or branch stem was damaged.

Last edited:

dogg

I did not know this. :yoinks: I have been using it on my plants that are in the early stages of flowering and have'nt hurt them yet but I don't want to use it if its not safe to use on flowering plants.What should I use?the outdoors can be brutal and their are many insects and bug out there.The buds smell like they would be tasty for lots of creatures.I need something proven to fight off a host of incets and is safe on flowering plants.What about the stuff that is ORMI organic,sold at some stores like Wal-mart

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
bird said:
i used to think ants were ok in my pots, till some startd farmin shrooms and killd a couple plants. and ive heard tell of them farmin aphids too, but i havent seen them ones yet.

Yup. Picked off a couple ant-sacks off one of mine yesterday. Just keep a close watch and don't let them get those pods started.

G

I don't know that Neem Oil is unsafe for consumption by humans (if this is what was meant? Soma maintains that you could drink it without adverse affects although I have not tried this). It may inhibit flower development. I have no need for it as I live in an area with a High Predator to Pest ratio.

dogg

Is neem oil safe on flowering plants??

Is neem oil safe on flowering plants??

I've never heard anything about neem oil being harmfull to flowering plants.I'vw been using it about 3 times a week and no signs of anything bad.Maybe someone can enlighten me.Mine have been flowering for about 3 weeks.If not neem then what?I memory serves me right neem oil is found in most organic pest controls right. :confused:

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
its not a safety issue...perfectly safe. The wrapper is right tho...in inhibits flower development.

G

Not only that, it stinks and the leaves and bud will taste crazy if the oil gets on the flowers. Most people I met use it once and then never again, can't stand the smell of it. Sickening, almost worse that organicide. But if you can get it past ur nose...use it only in vegging. I heard the Hindis use it on their crops with no side effects, and people use it as a remedy too..
As for Serenade, it works wonders on mildew and some things, but I found it a little innefective on mites and insects, and also smells probably like what sweaty gorilla loins would smell like. I would stop using that at least 2-3 weeks before harvest and don't get it on the flowers.
Outdoors is a daily battle dude. Hand picking can be a tool too....the less toxic the better.

Last edited:
G

Ants...

Ants...

good for nothing :D

A. Aphids.. at any sign of ants we throughly check for aphids.. Good going WWM you are on the friggin ball :p

B. Pollenation. Not that this has been proven or anything, but it's something to think about. :)

Aphids can, and SHOULD be hand-picked via some warm soapy water in fast powerful squirt blasts with your sprayer. ISO Alchohol is another popular one.

as a side note on the neem debate, i breath in neem mist all the time, through the nose and in the mouth.. actually keeps bugs away from u while in the garden ime even though it doesnt kill them they must not like it.. Bonide makes a product called "Bon-Neem" it contains an ingedient to kill mature insects as well...a great investment and can be used (debateable) through the first 2 weeks of flower.

we use it in veg and alternate with 2 other sprays..

1. chile pepper/garlic/tobacco juice/cinnamon/water (gross but works even in full flower, leave the tobaccy juice for the soil imo, kills aphid at the soil level tho., us ein combo with neem)

2. Safer Spray "3-in-1" Pesticide, Miticide, Fungucide (we use it weekly or bi weekly o.d. only)

3. Bon-Neem from bonide, Standard Neem would be fine if using an "alternating" regimine as the pesticide/miticide mentioned above in addition to the usual pepper/garlic foliars as this takes care of the adults.. well, keeps them at bay at least..

REMEMBER

if u arent getting much rain, or usually dont mist your babies.. consider doing so if using organic OR chemical pesticides as the residue can build up and clog the pores of the leaf.. lemon juice or citrus rinds can be used wipe down blades and stems if u like..

l have used Original nasty flavored listerine (NOT MINT, the Piss lookin stuff!) when aphids infest bulbs in the garden and leave theyre sticky mess about.. spray hardcore chem pesticide first (remember u dont consume flowers :p) to kill adults, then water with the listerine.. let air out a bit then recover and water as usual.
Listerine works in place of alchohol in this garden :)

Excuse the long post
Hope it was of some help to u

cap

Other than a bunch of real wimpy plants long ago( hazeXpluton2--- and pure pluton2)-- have never had problems with aphids. Those weak little pluton2s were ruined by them though. But about them ants: We welcome them as predators of sucking insects. The right badass species will cover everywhere and eat everything they can defeat in personal combat. Have often had them take advantage of fluffed-up soil(in grow holes) by nesting there and usually the plants prosper but yes have had a couple of nice plants killed by nesting ants( who knows what triggers that). One other problem: Grew in this one spot for 7 years with no trouble from the dusty-looking red and black ants. Then, in year 8 they seemed to have learned to eat the insides of each seed; they killed 100%!! So I switched to packing in 6-week old plants in small pots and never had an ant problem again. Usually cant imagine spraying anything on outdoor plants because we have good predators in this part of the wild west. The plants are eaten by many different bugs for most of summer but they just outgrow them and we let the bugs eat-with no effect on the final bud.

sttb

i used neem oil and mircale grow dirt and my weed made me sick dont kno if it was oil or soil but i do kno one of the 2 had a something to do with it

bird

im lucky the one plants that survived the ant farmin is a female, and looks like a nevills

Latest posts

Latest posts