What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What did they play at your first Grateful Dead concert?

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Heres a site you can lookup your shows based on a bunch of different search criteria. List your first and some memories.

http://www.deadbase.com/homebase.html

My first show was 06-24-1983 @ Dane County Coliseum, Madison, Wi.

Set 1
Shakedown, Far From Me, Candyman> Rooster, B. E. Women, Mama Tried> Mexicali, Althea, Bucket> Deal

Set 2
Help> Slipknot> Franklin's> Sailor> Saint> Drumz> Truckin> Morning Dew> Around> Johnny B. Goode E: Don't Ease

Show Notes: "Take A Step Back" before "Help"

The show was general admission back then as a lot were so as soon as they came on for the second set the heads on the floor crowded the stage so Bobby came on the mic and politely asked everyone to " Take a step back " before the began playing. As he guided the crowd with the repeated phrase take a step back the sound guys began playing with the sound doing all sorts of trippy vocal effects.

Real fun show. Began a day before when someone hollered they had one spot left in the car leaving Minneapolis. I reached in my pocket, pulled out $28 bucks and some change and jumped in the car.. and I still didnt have a ticket for the show. Ended up seeing the show, bought a vendor shirt with the cover of Aoxomoxoa on it and our car made it all the way back to Eau Claire before running out of gas and we had to pan handle some other heads going west to Minneapolis to see the show on 6-25-83.

aoxomoxoa_hi.jpg

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Ok.. bumping this cause I know Im not that old and I know Im not the only one thats been to a Dead concert. Someones got to have an Alpine Valley memory or two?

G

dayum,.. well.. i remmeber when Jerry died... was in a car.. on a family road-trip to Maine..

wish i coulda seen one of the real-deal dead concerts back in the day..

i have seen phish, which i dont like much Cd-wise... but i see why they have such a following... its all about being there... its all about each and every person whos there, not just the few on stage

too bad i missed it

peace to the dead

bILL

robobond

Future Psychopharmacologist
never seen the dead. a bit older then my generation though I wish it was my generation lol. too bad they dont have the concerts anymore. RIP Jerry great place to score cid I hear.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
The first time was in the arena in Chicago, 73 or 74, wayyyyyyyyy up in the fourth balcony. You could of course smoke dope in concerts then, so we did. We were into the third song on what we thought was the back up group, when we realized it was the dead that was playing. They were sooooooooo slooooooooowed on downs or something that you could barely recognize the music. It was still a fun concert.

78 in hollywood florida was much better, that was a great concert.
H

G

I saw the Dead only once - in a triple bill in Buffalo 20 something years ago.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers came on first - then stayed on to be the band for Bob Dylan. The Dead played last.

TP was awesome - Dylan was the biggest disappointment of my concert going experiences. Couldn't understand a freakin word he sang, and he sounded like sh*t...

The Dead were cool - as soon as they hit the stage, all these tie-dyed wisps stood up and did their freak thang.

One of my strongest memories of that day - I consumed vast quantities of hash joints before we hit the US border - was the little hippy chicks standing outside the venue, as we passed they would offer tie-dyed tshirts, but whisper that they had grass, acid, opium, mushrooms.

ws

Last edited:

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php
COLT PARK - AUGUST 2, 1976
Setlist
Promised Land
Mississippi Half-Step
Mama Tried
Deal
Cassidy
Tennessee Jed
Big River
Brown Eyed Women
New Minglewood Blues
They Love Each Other
Looks Like Rain
Loser
Lazy Lightnin'
Supplication

Might As Well
Samson and Delilah
Candyman
Playin' in the Band
Wharf Rat
drums
Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad
Playin' in the Band
Around and Around

U.S. Blues

Sugar Magnolia

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
lucky dude. i never seen the dead with jerry i just missed that bus but caught the next one. its been a fun run

ElGato

Veteran
my first Dead Show

CAPITAL CENTRE - SEPTEMBER 27, 1981

Jack Straw
Alabama Getaway
Promised Land
Candyman
Little Red Rooster
Althea
Me and My Uncle
Mexicali Blues
It Must Have Been the Roses
Lost Sailor
Saint of Circumstance

China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Man Smart/Woman Smarter
He's Gone
Truckin'
drums
Spanish Jam
Wharf Rat
I Need a Miracle
Good Lovin'

Baby Blue

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
my first Dead Show

CAPITAL CENTRE - SEPTEMBER 27, 1981

Jack Straw
Alabama Getaway
Promised Land
Candyman
Little Red Rooster
Althea
Me and My Uncle
Mexicali Blues
It Must Have Been the Roses
Lost Sailor
Saint of Circumstance

China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Man Smart/Woman Smarter
He's Gone
Truckin'
drums
Spanish Jam
Wharf Rat
I Need a Miracle
Good Lovin'

Baby Blue

I was so young....I'd have a better idea of my first pair of shoes

lucky dude. i never seen the dead with jerry i just missed that bus but caught the next one. its been a fun run
ElGato . I was at the capital center as well having just got back from the Greek theater out in Berkeley California on 9/11 , 9/12 , & 9/13/81

ElGato

Veteran
ElGato . I was at the capital center as well having just got back from the Greek theater out in Berkeley California on 9/11 , 9/12 , & 9/13/81

well that is just too fucking cool bro

as my first Dead show, it was quite an experience for a 17 year old, lol me and my boys were tripping our asses off with perma-smiles all around

man, not to mention the party in the parking lot

good times for sure

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
well that is just too fucking cool bro

as my first Dead show, it was quite an experience for a 17 year old, lol me and my boys were tripping our asses off with perma-smiles all around

man, not to mention the party in the parking lot

good times for sure

Those parking lots were responsible for the dissemination of lots of really good weed:biggrin:

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1980/05/02 here’s the 1st GD show I ever recorded , General admission show I was 19 years old traveled eight hours put my microphones onto a pair of crutches... I was a taper before I became a grower:bump::rtfo: Hampton Roads Coliseum, Hampton, VA (5/2/80)

New Minglewood Blues
Loser
Mama Tried
Mexicali Blues
Friend of the Devil
Far From Me
Looks Like Rain
Althea
Music Never Stopped

Alabama Getaway
Feel Like a Stranger
Eyes of the World